Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you a splurger or a saver? Watch

• View Poll Results: Are you a splurger or a saver?
    Slurger
    30.85%
    Saver
    69.15%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Get a superdrug beautycard and you'll get 10% off if you have an nus card if you dont already do that

I am the entire opposite of a hoarder, i have a buy one thing and i have to throw out at least one thing to make up for it, its working relatively well at the moment. What is it you like to hoard? :P

Sounds like a good balance, i generally don't need a reason to save,i just like seeing money in the bank:P

Yay for saving mode Anything imparticular you're saving for ?
    me too but i also like spending it haha!
    spent £78 in primark, £28 in wilkos and some more in boots today. want to finish it off online lol
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by TattyBoJangles)
    Definitely agree RE: the food. Before I moved in with my boyfriend he was all 'ooh I'd never shop at Aldi' (which is funny as he mostly lived off Iceland frozen chicken and chips at uni). Within a week of living together, I had him converted.

Ah, I live for my holidays & I don't buy tech very often, but when I do I tend to not go cheap.

I do save more than I spend still, mind - even whilst at uni I've managed to save up a few grand despite getting the minimum student loan and having a car to run.
    I did the exact same with my boyfriend, i can even convince him to eat aldi and lidl value brands now
    I went on 4 holidays in the space of a year last year, in my defence i'd not been on one in 5 years or abroad before then but now i m on a holiday ban until i go on honeymoon i think.
    That's quite impressive for a student on a minimum loan.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    me too but i also like spending it haha!
    spent £78 in primark, £28 in wilkos and some more in boots today. want to finish it off online lol
    I haven't spent that much in primark in a while, i had a real bad couple of primark spending months when i moved for uni but have tried to avoid their since, its a bit addictive in there i think:P

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you're the much better cheapskate, i think i've spent £25 on takeaways and mcdonalds in the past 6 weeks.
    Lol, i mean i'm still in grammar school so i'm still with my parents but i mean they gave me £60 in total because they offered it if i needed and i said yes and i only spent £40 of it last year, also this is a secret but
    Spoiler:
    Show
    i also go to the cinema when my boarding school offers the activity because i just go in for free and keep the money they give me for myself
    :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    A splurger, I'm lucky that I don't have to pay for all the times we've went grocery shopping. :angel:

ReputationRep:
    Well im a bit of both really.
    But more a saver, although i treated myself to a nrw abox game today
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by mariam687)
    im quoting u here bc idk why i cnt quote u frm tht other post
    but yh, it depends on the brand and where i buy it from
    Strange, i guess make up all looks the same to me so if i wore it i would try the cheaper brands first.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Big white)
    Lol, i mean i'm still in grammar school so i'm still with my parents but i mean they gave me £60 in total because they offered it if i needed and i said yes and i only spent £40 of it last year, also this is a secret but
    Spoiler:
    Show
    i also go to the cinema when my boarding school offers the activity because i just go in for free and keep the money they give me for myself
    :ninja:
    Thats quite the ninja savings:P
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by maria.x)
    A splurger, I'm lucky that I don't have to pay for all the times we've went grocery shopping. :angel:
    How do you think you'll cope when you have to buy your own groceries for the 1st time?

ReputationRep:
    If you have to buy food, try and completely avoid branded products, lidl does the best 30p chocolate and biscuits so i just eat those and make everything else myself
    :eek: But what about galaxy caramel?!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't spent that much in primark in a while, i had a real bad couple of primark spending months when i moved for uni but have tried to avoid their since, its a bit addictive in there i think:P
    i love their clothes! bought some lovely stuff!
    i wanted the little mermaid beach towel for myself but they sold out
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    :eek: But what about galaxy caramel?!
    I think the closest thing lidl has is, their cheap version of a twix bar which is pretty close in taste. I dont know when the last time i spent money on a galaxy was:P
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    i love their clothes! bought some lovely stuff!
    i wanted the little mermaid beach towel for myself but they sold out
    I do too,but there's only some much you need clothes wise so i've stopped myself buying stuff from there. I m sure they'll get another towel back in quickly, everything disney will always be popular:P
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Get a superdrug beautycard and you'll get 10% off if you have an nus card if you dont already do that

I am the entire opposite of a hoarder, i have a buy one thing and i have to throw out at least one thing to make up for it, its working relatively well at the moment. What is it you like to hoard? :P

Sounds like a good balance, i generally don't need a reason to save,i just like seeing money in the bank:P

Yay for saving mode Anything imparticular you're saving for ?
    Mainly clothes, stationery, and technology (like gadgets I'll never use) I used to collect leaflets haha! I seem to have an emotional attachment to everything I buy, it's weird.

ReputationRep:
    How do you think you'll cope when you have to buy your own groceries for the 1st time?
    Not too well, to be honest, I spoil myself with chocolate a lot. But I think I'll get a grip on it with time. :fan:

ReputationRep:
    A bit of both. I still live at home and have a full time job and my parents prefer me to save money than give them a percentage for food and rent etc. I do buy a lot of my own food as I prepare my own lunches and sometimes get my own stuff for breakfast.

I give myself £500 for the month, although I don't usually spend it all - ngl, ASOS is my weakspot. Then I put about £400-£700 in savings depending on how many hours I've done. I'm hopefully going to be starting a new job soon and I'll be earning a bit more, so will be able to begin putting lots in savings. I need it because I get a minimum loan; no grant; but my parents can't afford to give me much. I want to be comfortable at least when I start uni in autumn.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    Mainly clothes, stationery, and technology (like gadgets I'll never use) I used to collect leaflets haha! I seem to have an emotional attachment to everything I buy, it's weird.
    Hide some of it in a box and if you dont use it in a month, chuck it, that worked really well for me:P You could even get some money for the old tech and buy something new you want with it instead.

ReputationRep:
    splurger
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by maria.x)
    Not too well, to be honest, I spoil myself with chocolate a lot. But I think I'll get a grip on it with time. :fan:
    you can get chocolate pretty cheap if you know where to look, maybe you'll be safest just buying groceries online to start with:P
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Hide some of it in a box and if you dont use it in a month, chuck it, that worked really well for me:P You could even get some money for the old tech and buy something new you want with it instead.
    Funny you mention it, I have a lot of boxes filled with old tech and stuff I don't use, it needs throwing away but sometimes when I've thrown something away, I've always found use for it at some point when it's gone. I may go to auctions and car boot sales and set up a table, I have too much to keep!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.