Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are some people just so much better than others? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Some people have misinterpreted the point of this thread. It wasn't for advice on how to become better but rather to establish why some people are inherently better than others.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, it's just that you sounded pessimistic and lost when you described your personal situation. Maybe you shouldn't make a general question so not-general :s

I think it's because of genes and how we're brought up from a young age =3=

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Latimaster)
    Ah, it's just that you sounded pessimistic and lost when you described your personal situation. Maybe you shouldn't make a general question so not-general :s

I think it's because of genes and how we're brought up from a young age =3=
    it was just an example. i think she has better genes. maybe my ancestors were ****ed up too.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    I think some are just better to you because you relate more with personality and interests? Someone you find not to be great, could be great to someone else!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucarious30)
    I think some are just better to you because you relate more with personality and interests? Someone you find not to be great, could be great to someone else!
    Not sure what you mean..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HurtfulHarold)
    A person's mindset can easily influence the things that happen to them in their lives. One thing that resonated with me was the concept of a 'growth mindset'. Since accepting it, I've become a completely different person than who I was a year ago. I used to believe that my abilities were predetermined due to things that had happened throughout my childhood but now I realise as human beings none of us were born with significant advantages (albeit a few). Try watching this video, hopefully it can change your perspective. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_oqghnxBmY
    It hasn't changed anything for me.
    Mindset doesn't mean anything, most people are predetermined by genes.

ReputationRep:
    Your friend isn't better than you. She worked harder than you. And now, what she has, is better than what you have.

(Original post by sherlockfan)
    Genes have little part to play. They definitely don't determine how well you do in life. She was just better at utilising her strengths and improving her weaknesses than you were.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emerl98)
    Your friend isn't better than you. She worked harder than you. And now, what she has, is better than what you have.

Genes have little part to play. They definitely don't determine how well you do in life. She was just better at utilising her strengths and improving her weaknesses than you were.
    I worked pretty hard. But it's like the way some people can get As without even trying, and others will only get a C no matter how hard they work. The same can be said of life in general imo.

ReputationRep:
    Just the way things are, in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I worked pretty hard. But it's like the way some people can get As without even trying, and others will only get a C no matter how hard they work.
    Those people utilised their strengths well. They can put less effort into exams because they catered the technique to their strengths. That way they could put less effort in. This goes for anything in life. Sometimes it's not optimal to just to work hard, although enough hard work can get you anywhere. But it's also important to work smart or efficiently.

ReputationRep:
    Your mindset is ultimately the factor which can determine your development as a person. There isn't an 'intelligence gene' or anything like that, Sure, you environment can influence how your mind develops but if you think about it, as humans we're born equal. This means your environmental factors were different to that of your friend which may be why some would consider her more successful. My point is your biggest enemy is yourself. I'm not trying to be cheesy or anything but surpassing your old way of thinking opens up a whole new world of opportunities, believe me.

ReputationRep:
    Its secret is necessary in hard daily work over itself, or it had necessary communications for this purpose! You need to get it together and to work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HurtfulHarold)
    Your mindset is ultimately the factor which can determine your development as a person. There isn't an 'intelligence gene' or anything like that, Sure, you environment can influence how your mind develops but if you think about it, as humans we're born equal. This means your environmental factors were different to that of your friend which may be why some would consider her more successful. My point is your biggest enemy is yourself. I'm not trying to be cheesy or anything but surpassing your old way of thinking opens up a whole new world of opportunities, believe me.
    Actually research has shown that genes are accountable for a person's intelligence. No one is born equal, that's a lie. My friends environment isn't dramatically different to mine so that can't be it.

ReputationRep:
    That's life, you just gotta keep on keepin' on

ReputationRep:
    No one is better than anyone!
    We are all equal and no one can say otherwise!
    Anyone who does, is just jealous of you!
    Just because shes earning more money doesnt mean shes better than you!
    Money isnt everything!
    I can assure you that youre amazing and dont let anyone tell you otherwize!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireFreezer77)
    No one is better than anyone!
    We are all equal and no one can say otherwise!
    Anyone who does, is just jealous of you!
    Just because shes earning more money doesnt mean shes better than you!
    Money isnt everything!
    I can assure you that youre amazing and dont let anyone tell you otherwize!
    She is better than me in more ways than just income. But thanks for the exclamation marks at the end of each sentence, they really do strengthen your argument and it makes me feel so much better.

ReputationRep:
    She is better than me in more ways than just income. But thanks for the exclamation marks at the end of each sentence, they really do strengthen your argument and it makes me feel so much better.
    I highly doubt that!!! Youre brilliant in your own way!!
    Dont let anything stop you from achieving your dreams
    No worries! I feel they add to the effect of the points im making!
    Enforces what im saying (as you said)!
    Im very happy to hear that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireFreezer77)
    I highly doubt that!!! Youre brilliant in your own way!!
    Dont let anything stop you from achieving your dreams
    No worries! I feel they add to the effect of the points im making!
    Enforces what im saying (as you said)!
    Im very happy to hear that!
    I was being sarcastic..

:troll:

ReputationRep:
    "Better" could mean anything.

If you define how "good" someone is based on how much they earn, what grades they got and what they look like then I guess she is better. But in my opinion that's a very superficial and meaningless definition.

Is the rich, handsome businessman who exploits children for labour in third world countries "better" than the working class, overweight builder who volunteers to help the homeless every week?

It's such a subjective term with so many different dimensions to it, calling any one person broadly "better" than another is reductionist and short sighted.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.