Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

V988 – Citizenship for Services Bill 2016 watch

• View Poll Results: Should this bill be passed into law?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    74.00%
    On the contrary, No
    8.00%
    Abstain
    18.00%

• Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    There is nothing binding to say Snufkin has to follow how the previous member to have the seat voted if the vote is live; threatening Snufkin is a de facto whip.
    Okay.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    And yet you chose to employ a first come first serve policy when choosing a proxy, rather than picking someone with similar political views as THB. You know perfectly well that I disagree with nearly everything THB says.

I can't find any rule that says a proxy can't change the vote if they want to.
    Apart from the ruling the speaker has literally just made....

(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Given THB is the permanent MP, his vote will count. The role of a proxy is to vote where the sitting MP is unable to do so, and this is not an example of such a situation.

ReputationRep:
    I will accept it after you show me the rule that says a proxy can't change a vote.
    The GD: “A proxy MP is instructed how to vote by the full time MP and should obey their wishes.”

ReputationRep:
    While I would appreciate if THB's vote was changed, he's obviously wrong. What do you think the word 'proxy' means?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    There is nothing binding to say Snufkin has to follow how the previous member to have the seat voted if the poll is live; threatening Snufkin is a de facto whip.
    Snufkin is not eligible to vote on this item, that is the situation here. THB has already voted upon it so does not need proxying to vote on this.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Apart from the ruling the speaker has literally just made....
    The speaker is mistaken.

(Original post by Life_peer)
    The GD: “A proxy MP is instructed how to vote by the full time MP and should obey their wishes.”
    No instruction was given so I'm free to vote how I like and in whichever votes I like.

ReputationRep:
    The speaker is mistaken.

No instruction was given so I'm free to vote how I like and in whichever votes I like.
    The original MP wishes to vote in one way on this bill, you are not obeying the wishes of the original MP, you are not obeying the rules as per the GD and therefore you are not doing your job properly. In the workplace this would be called Gross Misconduct and you'd be sacked for it
    Spoiler:
    Show
    wink wink PetrosAC

• Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    The speaker is mistaken.

Stop getting your panties in a twist because you're upset that you're not getting your own way...

ReputationRep:
    The speaker is mistaken.
    You're such a spoilt brat. :laugh:

You were given the instruction of skipping this vote and THB already voted, i.e. expressed his wish. It's also the GD and we all know it's imperfect. The people who actually know a thing or two about the customs of the MHoC and have been elected to run it, like, you know, perhaps the Speaker, are telling you that you're wrong. The message is clear: proxy = gets told how to vote.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    The original MP wishes to vote in one way on this bill, you are not obeying the wishes of the original MP, you are not obeying the rules as per the GD and therefore you are not doing your job properly. In the workplace this would be called Gross Misconduct and you'd be sacked for it
    But who's to say THB hasn't had a massive change of mind? The vote is still live so, in the absence of any instruction, I am free to interpret THB's wishes any way I like. I believe that he has had a change of heart so the vote should be changed.

ReputationRep:
    But who's to say THB hasn't had a massive change of mind? The vote is still live so, in the absence of any instruction, I am free to interpret THB's wishes any way I like. I believe that he has has a change of heart so the vote should be changed.
    Has THB instructed you that he's had a massive change of mind?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Has THB instructed you that he's had a massive change of mind?
    Did you not read what I said? He hasn't said anything so I can (or could, Petros has removed me now :lol:) do what I like.

ReputationRep:
    Did you not read what I said? He hasn't said anything so I can (or could, Petros has removed me now :lol:) do what I like.
    That's not how it works, not that it matters anymore...

Well done on ****ing this up for yourself though, Petros compassionately gave you a chance and you spunked it all over his face.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    That's not how it works, not that it matters anymore...

Well done on ****ing this up for yourself though, Petros compassionately gave you a chance and you spunked it all over his face.
    I have zero interest in following orders or submitting to threats. If that means I can't be a proxy MP for a few days, so be it. I believe I was right. If Petros and the Speaker want to make rules up as they go, that's their business.

ReputationRep:
    I have zero interest in following orders or submitting to threats. If that means I can't be a proxy MP for a few days, so be it. I believe I was right. If Petros and the Speaker want to make rules up as they go, that's their business.
    There is only one person that seems to be making up rules as they go here....
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Perhaps Life_peer has had a massive change of heart and now wants to unilaterally appoint me Leader of the TSR Conservative Party. He hasn't said so but it's possible.

Having interpreted LP's wishes I am now the Tory leader. Bow before your Minister Prime.

No offence Snuffy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Perhaps Life_peer has had a massive change of heart and now wants to unilaterally appointment Leader of the TSR Conservative Party. He hasn't said so but it's possible.

Having interpreted LP's wishes I am now the Tory leader. Bow before your Minister Prime.

No offence Snuffy.
    Nice plan! :awesome:

Perhaps quam has had a massive change of heart and now wants to withdraw the MoNC. He hasn't said so but it's possible.

Having interpreted quam's wishes, the MoNC is hereby withdrawn.

cc Saracen's Fez

ReputationRep:
    Turns out I have to offer 2 consecutive PRSOMS, sorry guys but top bants anyway.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Forget all about the changing votes thing for a sec. You are not eligible to vote on this item, nor is any other proxy for THB. End of story.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Great work whomever is the 52nd voter... another proxy unable to check whether they need to vote or not...

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 17, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.