Here's a reality check for Brexiters Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afdah)
    and which one's are they, exactly ?
    Anyone who's British, there should be a temp stop on EU migration

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jee1)
    Anyone who's British, there should be a temp stop on EU migration
    but you didn't say anything about immigration in your previous post. you spoke of leaving British jobs for British people
    Im curious to hear which British jobs you're speaking of

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ib_hopeful)
    Even that is uncertain!

I am baffled how people can vote to leave when literally everything Leave say is uncertain, unclear, or just hypothetical.
    I think that is because leave is an idea not a political party seeking office as an entity, whatever party is the government can decide particular policy, and that of course is the leave party point re the UK parliament having sovereignty rather than the EU over certain matters.

Yes, it is somewhat unsatisfactory, but what would be more unsatisfactory is if they dogmatically stated what would happen with no possible means of implementing their proposed approach; frankly there have been enough fibs from both sides declaring their views as facts rather than opinions, do not encourage them to utter more pointless assertions.

E.g. If thereafter a future government wants to allow in 200,000 or 5,000 migrants in a year they can , if they wish, present this to the electorate and if the electorate does not want the same they can remove them from office at the next election or if a manifesto commitment vote for a different party.Leave cannot decideparty policy in advance.

E.g. If a government wants to negotiate a particular trade deal it can (subject to the other nation involved, of course) and their successors in government can then try to renegotiate if legally competent that such renegotiations take place. Leave cannot decide what these negotiations should be in advance.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Yeah, cos it's not like the guardian is at all biased. Do you think that perhaps many Brexiteers have actually researched the issues and come to their only conclusions already?

ReputationRep:
    I love how the EU is always credited for giving us our jobs, why is unemployment so much higher in other EU countries?

Why are the EU only creating jobs for Britain but not for the French, Spanish, Italians, Greeks etc

ReputationRep:
    What's hilarious is that leaving the EU will not affect immigration like Nigel Farage says it will. Sure, we will not be bound by EU laws but we will be bound by countless international laws.

The USA has taken in 100k Syrians. We are much closer to Syria, they will keep coming here en masse.

Here's a tip Nigel: how about you relocate the entire island of Great Britain
    Erm...no, nothing is forcing us to take in any refugees. As it stands, the EU is fining us 250k euros per refugee we decide not to accept.

They will have their various working permits revoked and it will no longer be legal to work where they work. They would have to issue new permits/visas. That's British migrants in EU countries.

As for EU migrants in the UK, I have no idea. I wonder if Leave have got that figured out? (probably not)
    This is straight up scaremongering and not true.
    Lawful UK emigrants in the EU and lawful EU immigrants in the UK won't get deported - rights accrued under treaty aren't lost when the treaty expires.

ReputationRep:
    What's hilarious is that leaving the EU will not affect immigration like Nigel Farage says it will. Sure, we will not be bound by EU laws but we will be bound by countless international laws.

The USA has taken in 100k Syrians. We are much closer to Syria, they will keep coming here en masse.

Here's a tip Nigel: how about you relocate the entire island of Great Britain

Let's have a proper debate, to do that you need to reach a certain starting level of maturity.

If we have border security, we can minimise illegal migration and control other migration (let who we want in, after skills checks, criminal records checks etc). The EU prevents us choosing who we want, we have to accept almost everyone from there; and EU passports are sold to migrants or received legitimately after a few years.
    Vote Leave

ReputationRep:
    To all those saying that they won't trade with us after, they need us more than we need them. Deutsche bank and JP Morgan both concluded that UK stocks will outperform European ones in the event of a brexit

SOURCE: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/eu-referend...ves-eu-1565186

Ultimately, this debate is more than a question of just economics. It is about us having greater control of our laws and systems in the future and not diluting our democratic rights.

Vote Leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    Erm...no, nothing is forcing us to take in any refugees. As it stands, the EU is fining us 250k euros per refugee we decide not to accept.

This is straight up scaremongering and not true.
    Lawful UK emigrants in the EU and lawful EU immigrants in the UK won't get deported - rights accrued under treaty aren't lost when the treaty expires.
    I didn't say anyone was getting deported. Frankly, I said I didn't know what stance the UK would take. I only know what the EU would do as I have read about it.

Also, I just said UK emigrants in the EU would have to issue new permits. It's a two-way street. We can't expect to be strict on immigrants and have everyone else be welcoming to us.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say kick out!! I said they would have to issue new permits!
    I came back to read the comments about Jo Cox. So sad. Today is not the day for debating this.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.