Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

David Mitchell: The UK's EU Referendum Should be a Matter for Politicians NOT Plebs Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Telling people he also shouldn't get a vote, in fairness
    Oh well, that's ok then

(Original post by rockrunride)
    peosheple* look to public figures and comedians for inspiration
    Amended, for accuracy :borat:

It is utterly misleading to say that by arguing against a referendum you are depriving the populace of their democratic right
    If a government has been elected, Democratically, on an EU referendum ticket then it is very much depriving the people of their Democratic(ally mandated) right to deny them such a ballot

(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I wonder if he was joking? It's often had to tell with him
    The joke's on him, either way. Absolute wasteman. What’s more, I expect his ilk feel vindicated now that the majority of the voting public (who are apparently all either ill informed and having regrets or else reprehensible ‘racists’) have had their say :rolleyes:

(Original post by Elivercury)
    the cuts
    Which cuts would those be?

restructuring
    Problematic, on balance, specifically why?

alienating a generation of doctors?
    Hunt could have handled the negotiations far better, but it’s not nearly as bad as the BMA/media attempted to make out e.g. basic pay up 13.5% (compared with a virtual pay-freeze for most other public sector workers over the past several years), no extra pay for working in the daytime on Sat, and extra rates of pay/maximal weekly hours that disincentivise junior doctors over-extending themselves. The government has a mandate from the people to deliver a 7 day NHS (2015 election ticket). At current levels of expenditure this is very much more difficult to deliver if it is to pay 20-100% extra for what are to become standard, Saturday shifts (as is presently the case)

putting people in charge of the NHS who believe it should be disbanded
    Such as whom, Hunt? Direct quote?

(Original post by the bear)
    i thought this was going to be about the MP with the bicycle...
    Well you thought wrong, you “****ing pleb!” :shakecane:

(Original post by moggis)
    I wonder if one or two people commenting on this thread can have possibly read the article?
    My sentiments entirely, with respect to your having (not) read (and engaged, intellectually honestly, with) the OP:mute:

(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    no guarantee whoever replaces him would be any more or less likely to want to enforce the result of a Leave
    Perhaps not now that Boris has bugged out, no :sad:

(Original post by Jebedee)
    I challenge you to find anyone on the BBC payroll with any other opinion
    If they weren’t of that view before, they sure as heck are now (see above narrative re: popular presentation of leave voters as knuckle-heads)

(Original post by offhegoes)
    You believe you know what you're talking about
    No, I quite clearly know what I’m talking about. If you disagree, feel free to critique my contentions directly, rather than sniping aimlessly, dear :yy:

(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    The thing is I don't trust MPs to make informed decision either. :dontknow:
    Sadly true, and even where they are suitably informed, alas the public does not have sufficient faith that they will determine to chose genuinely, first and foremost, in the national interest. Almost everyone is out for themselves/their 'special interest' paymasters these days

(Original post by Aceadria)
    Politicians are there to serve the populace and too much authority in the hands of a few is never a good thing. I do wish more people would read history books
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    I believe strongly in democracy and think this referendum should definitely be held, and the notion of leaving everything to the politicians reeks of "enlightened despotism"
    Well said old chap :top2:

(Original post by Desi123)
    Why are "progressives" often so authoritarian? :holmes:
    1) They’re pseudo-progressives* (subject primarily to pride/ideological dogma vs. secondarily to a taste for [sustainable] 'human progress'); 2) High degree of correlation with mental health problems among vocal 'lefties'; 3) They’re ‘compensators’ (relates, in many cases, to 2)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    No, I quite clearly know what I’m talking about. If you disagree, feel free to critique my contentions directly, rather than sniping aimlessly, dear
    You mean like where you gave your opinion as a fact then, when it was pointed out that this was not the case, argued that something doesn't have to be definitely true to be a fact?

Consider me convinced :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You mean like where you gave your opinion as a fact
    I mean like when I asserted that an outcome that is a virtually impossible to avoid is tantamount to a (pragmatic) certainty, aye :yy:

Consider me convinced :rolleyes:
    I consider you may things, son

Spoiler:
    Show
    Hope you feel better soon after your shocking defeat :nopity:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    I mean like when I asserted that an outcome that is a virtually impossible to avoid is tantamount to a (pragmatic) certainty, aye :yy:

I consider you may things, son
    There's a way to describe things which are highly likely - you can say that they are highly likely. Crazy, I know. Means you can avoid erroneously calling something a fact. As a decorated economist (if you can't tell, it tickles me to hear anyone talk about themself in such a way) you may wish to look into it. Although, let's face it, your intentions never were based around presenting accurate information in the first place, more on portraying your views as the only legitimate ones.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Hope you feel better soon after your shocking defeat :nopity:
    My shocking defeat? Don't worry about me, I'll do fine. It's the country in general you should be worrying about.

ReputationRep:
    it tickles me to hear anyone talk about themself in such a way
    I'm glad to have brought giggles to your befuddled chops, mon pomme

portraying your views as the only legitimate ones
    Mission accomplished

My shocking defeat?
    Yup

It's the country in general you should be worrying about
    Funnily enough, I'm one of the very people that have, throughout history, concerned ourselves with bettering/securing, rather than standing about fretting over, the state of the nation. We're a Warrior Nation, we'll be just fine :chaplin:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 1, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.