Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

S15 – Statement of Intent from Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Lime Man, the statement has my full support.

Jammy, attack your own party member in the sub-forum not publicly.

Nige, this is a statement rather than statement of intent. That said you won't be voting on my departmental review anyway, i don't agree with voting on them so won't send it. I encourage LM to do the same.

Fez, change the title.

Rakas, go to bed.

That is all.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)

Nige, this is a statement rather than statement of intent. That said you won't be voting on my departmental review anyway, i don't agree with voting on them so won't send it. I encourage LM to do the same.

Fez, change the title.

Rakas, go to bed.

That is all.
    I suggest you go look there, it's not like these things have been brought up to the exact same "IDC" response or anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Fez, change the title.

Rakas, go to bed.

That is all.
    I am surprised you agree with the policy of the government creating a job for every unemployed young person in Britain, the policy is the real life work for benefits policy but the benefits have become the living wage.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I am surprised you agree with the policy of the government creating a job for every unemployed young person in Britain, the policy is the real life work for benefits policy but the benefits have become the living wage.
    Who said anything about creating jobs, these are jobs that already exist and need doing. You think we can build 500,000 homes over the next 5 years out of nowhere? We need labour, there are people sat at home all day doing nothing, get them to pick up a brick or two.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Who said anything about creating jobs, these are jobs that already exist and need doing. You think we can build 500,000 homes over the next 5 years out of nowhere? We need labour, there are people sat at home all day doing nothing, get them to pick up a brick or two.
    You have stated unemployed skilled individuals will be given a job for 25 hours a week at the living wage, and unskilled unemployed individuals will be educated. The jobs vacancies for the unemployed skilled individuals are not there, it is fair to say the government plans to build houses but I am more surprised the Conservatives support the state paying lots of unemployed young people to do jobs: the state is creating jobs for all unemployed young people.

You return to the housing crisis but you miss the point, the housing market is best viewed as four markets selling different types of housing: luxury housing, middle-market housing, value housing, and social housing. The markets for luxury housing, and middle-market housing are the largest, most profitable, and desirable, the markets for value housing, and social housing are less profitable. Construction firms have spare capacity, there is not a rush for more labourers, nor is there a rush for more skilled workers, the productive power is being focused on luxury housing, middle-market housing, and lower middle-market housing where there is more profit, the value housing, and social housing markets where housing is needed have a shortage. To build more homes in the lower markets there needs to be incentives for developers to switch the focus of their resources to make building in the lower markets more profitable. What you are suggesting is the state engages all unemployed young people in a huge building bonanza where the state builds houses, the state sells houses, and the state acts as a construction company, paying the wages of the labourers: that is bordering on communism.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You have stated unemployed skilled individuals will be given a job for 25 hours a week at the living wage, and unskilled unemployed individuals will be educated. The jobs vacancies for the unemployed skilled individuals are not there, it is fair to say the government plans to build houses but I am more surprised the Conservatives support the state paying lots of unemployed young people to do jobs: the state is creating jobs for all unemployed young people.

You return to the housing crisis but you miss the point, the housing market is best viewed as four markets selling different types of housing: luxury housing, middle-market housing, value housing, and social housing. The markets for luxury housing, and middle-market housing are the largest, most profitable, and desirable, the markets for value housing, and social housing are less profitable. Construction firms have spare capacity, there is not a rush for more labourers, nor is there a rush for more skilled workers, the productive power is being focused on luxury housing, middle-market housing, and lower middle-market housing where there is more profit, the value housing, and social housing markets where housing is needed have a shortage. To build more homes in the lower markets there needs to be incentives for developers to switch the focus of their resources to make building in the lower markets more profitable. What you are suggesting is the state engages all unemployed young people in a huge building bonanza where the state builds houses, the state sells houses, and the state acts as a construction company, paying the wages of the labourers: that is bordering on communism.
    Our public sector is larger than the state building 500,000 homes. I was making the point that jobs need doing, and offered one example where they are needed. This isn't the state creating non-jobs, it's the state prioritising those who need jobs the most, our long term unemployed young people, and giving them a chance to get some experience, get them off the dole and get themselves into a career.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Our public sector is larger than the state building 500,000 homes. I was making the point that jobs need doing, and offered one example where they are needed. This isn't the state creating non-jobs, it's the state prioritising those who need jobs the most, our long term unemployed young people, and giving them a chance to get some experience, get them off the dole and get themselves into a career.
    It is still the state creating jobs for the unemployed to do at a huge expense when the private sector could do the jobs more efficiently, at a lower cost, and make a profit doing it.

ReputationRep:
    Voluntary national service is a complete waste of time. If you're going to underpay unemployed youth, at least make it compulsory and involve the military where it would have a much greater benefit.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It is still the state creating jobs for the unemployed to do at a huge expense when the private sector could do the jobs more efficiently, at a lower cost, and make a profit doing it.
    That's up for dispute, and as I've said for the 100th time it's not the state creating any jobs because these jobs already exist and they need doing.

(Original post by Wellzi)
    Voluntary national service is a complete waste of time. If you're going to underpay unemployed youth, at least make it compulsory and involve the military where it would have a much greater benefit.
    The military is involved.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The Minister makes some interesting points and observations. Though this SOI is ultimately more evidence that his not inconsiderable talents were best appreciated and utilised when he was on the correct side of the House. The confused perspective on Trade Unions reflects, I feel, the Minister's own ideological confusion.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

Fez, change the title.

Rakas, go to bed.

That is all.
    It's stuff like this which is why people joke that you're secretly still in charge. :laugh:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    That's up for dispute, and as I've said for the 100th time it's not the state creating any jobs because these jobs already exist and they need doing.

That is a lie, if those jobs existed the unemployed would currently be employed to do the jobs, meaning there is no need for the policy. The policy stating the state is going to pay the wages of the unemployed in a scheme to do jobs that need doing is the state creating jobs.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    It's stuff like this which is why people joke that you're secretly still in charge. :laugh:
    Joke? There's a grain of truth in every joke.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The Minister makes some interesting points and observations. Though this SOI is ultimately more evidence that his not inconsiderable talents where best appreciated and utilised when he was on the correct side of the House. The confused perspective on Trade Unions reflects, I feel, the Minister's own ideological confusion.
    The point you make regarding trade unions is one that I have struggled with. Trade unions mean higher wages, more rights in the workplace, better working conditions, and more accountable employers, however, in the event of a recession, or a business doing badly, trade unions can be really damaging when an employer has to make redundancies or lower pay in order to keep the business afloat, in cases like this a strike can be the death of a business, and instead of a few people being made redundant it's instead an entire business that's now dead.

This is an appropriate balance between ensuring that the benefits of Trade Union membership are felt but that the risks and dangers of unions with too much power are dealt with.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The Minister makes some interesting points and observations. Though this SOI is ultimately more evidence that his not inconsiderable talents where best appreciated and utilised when he was on the correct side of the House. The confused perspective on Trade Unions reflects, I feel, the Minister's own ideological confusion.
    I do not want to make a habit of this but I agree with you, James Milibanter is fully true Labourite pretending to be a Tory.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The point you make regarding trade unions is one that I have struggled with. Trade unions mean higher wages, more rights in the workplace, better working conditions, and more accountable employers, however, in the event of a recession, or a business doing badly, trade unions can be really damaging when an employer has to make redundancies or lower pay in order to keep the business afloat, in cases like this a strike can be the death of a business, and instead of a few people being made redundant it's instead an entire business that's now dead.

This is an appropriate balance between ensuring that the benefits of Trade Union membership are felt but that the risks and dangers of unions with too much power are dealt with.
    Well I'll wait until I see the legislation before I pass judgement. As others have noted, this truly puts the 'intent' in 'Statement of Intent'.

I look forward to seeing what you have to offer. I look forward even more to you realising you're a Blaire rather than a Tory.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I do not want to make a habit of this but I agree with you, James Milibanter is fully true Labourite pretending to be a Tory.
    I'm genuinely chuffed.

I think we agree on a lot of things Nige. Except the EU. Or immigration. Or economics. Or social policy.

Tell me, what sort of tea do you like?

ReputationRep:

Conscription or voluntary?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Wellzi)
    Conscription or voluntary?
    Voluntary, why have an army full of people who aren't committed?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm genuinely chuffed.

I think we agree on a lot of things Nige. Except the EU. Or immigration. Or economics. Or social policy.

Tell me, what sort of tea do you like?
    I like English breakfast tea, I cannot stand the modern fancy teas with lots of different flavours in, I think PG Tips is my favourite.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.