Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Start with almost everything on Radio 4 and go from there.
    Radio 6M is another great one.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Start with almost everything on Radio 4 and go from there.
    And you expect a private company to get rid of such a niche in the market, especially one where they could get relatively high value advertising, for the size of the audience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    And you expect a private company to get rid of such a niche in the market, especially one where they could get relatively high value advertising, for the size of the audience?
    No, but I would expect programming to change. Would In Our Time have been put on the air by a private company? No. Far too risky.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No, but I would expect programming to change. Would In Our Time have been put on the air by a private company? No. Far too risky.
    If it's already working it's hardly going to be taken off...

ReputationRep:
    Even shows like Doctor Who have been quite out there from time to time, the scene where John Barrowman was naked and (off camera, but implicitly) pulls a gun out of his arse is a prime example. Good broadcasting requires taking risks, and when the broadcaster doesn't have to worry about profits, it means that a lot more risks can be taken and a lot more good broadcasting can be done.

ReputationRep:
    If it's already working it's hardly going to be taken off...
    You miss the point. Radio 4 can barely be expected to run its current schedule for all eternity. Creating new programmes is necessary, and when that happens, I sure as hell trust the BBC far more than some private, profit-driven company.

ReputationRep:
    Nay. Let us keep the only parts of the media of any size not owned by non-UK citizens or that supported the Blackshirts in its current form. I would have expected UKIP to be supporters of an organisation obliged to give it some airtime.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The BBC is not fantastic at taking risks, or making globally acclaimed content, there are two recent BBC broadcasts that have done well on the international stage: Top Gear, and Doctor Who. If the new Top Gear starts failing as it is expected to do on the international stage, the BBC will be falling back to Doctor Who, the BBC being beaten by private broadcasters for critically acclaimed shows in Downton Abbey, Midsomer Murders, Undercover Boss, and the Got Talent franchise; international broadcasters shipping more to Britain such as CSI, NCIS, Hawaii 5'0, and Lost; and online networks producing global hits like Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, and Daredevil proves the BBC is not fit for purpose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    The BBC is not fantastic at taking risks, or making globally acclaimed content, there are two recent BBC broadcasts that have done well on the international stage: Top Gear, and Doctor Who. If the new Top Gear starts failing as it is expected to do on the international stage, the BBC will be falling back to Doctor Who, the BBC being beaten by private broadcasters for critically acclaimed shows in Downton Abbey, Midsomer Murders, Undercover Boss, and the Got Talent franchise; international broadcasters shipping more to Britain such as CSI, NCIS, Hawaii 5'0, and Lost; and online networks producing global hits like Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, and Daredevil proves the BBC is not fit for purpose.
    What makes you think privatisation will result in more globally acclaimed content from the Beeb?

ReputationRep:
    I love how he's equating commercial performance with the type of quality content I'm referring to, when that would be precisely what I'm not referring to.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    What makes you think privatisation will result in more globally acclaimed content from the Beeb?
    At the moment the BBC does not take risks because it has a culture of producing vanilla TV that no one takes offence at, if the BBC wants to improve it needs to produce content with the same risks taken when producing Fawlty Towers, Monty Python, and The Office. In a privatised company an agenda can be set, there will be no politicians wanting to craft the content produced, and there will be no Ofcom to promote political correctness.

ReputationRep:
    At the moment the BBC does not take risks because it has a culture of producing vanilla TV that no one takes offence at, if the BBC wants to improve it needs to produce content with the same risks taken when producing Fawlty Towers, Monty Python, and The Office. In a privatised company an agenda can be set, there will be no politicians wanting to craft the content produced, and there will be no Ofcom to promote political correctness.
    So you've decided to cite 3 examples of classic BBC t.v. shows to highlight the need for its privatisation?

Yes those shows are amazing, but it isn't possible to constantly churn out globally acclaimed material, Top Gear and Doctor Who are recent examples of brilliant shows and there'll be more in time. I wouldn't say shows like Mock the Week and HIGNFY are examples of political correctness in action either.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    So you've decided to cite 3 examples of classic BBC t.v. shows to highlight the need for its privatisation?

Yes those shows are amazing, but it isn't possible to constantly churn out globally acclaimed material, Top Gear and Doctor Who are recent examples of brilliant shows and there'll be more in time. I wouldn't say shows like Mock the Week and HIGNFY are examples of political correctness in action either.
    There are no funny comedies on the BBC at the moment, when there is a joke made that is controversial the BBC apologies, promises to not make similar jokes, and sometimes edits to joke out of repeats. There is nothing of value on the BBC that does not have its private equivalent, when there is nothing of value in the BBC that could not be done to a better standard when privately owned, getting rid of the BBC is a logical step.

ReputationRep:
    There are no funny comedies on the BBC at the moment, when there is a joke made that is controversial the BBC apologies, promises to not make similar jokes, and sometimes edits to joke out of repeats. There is nothing of value on the BBC that does not have its private equivalent, when there is nothing of value in the BBC that could not be done to a better standard when privately owned, getting rid of the BBC is a logical step.
    The News Quiz is incredibly funny, and HIGNFY has its moments.

ReputationRep:
    "I have no sense of humour so sell the BBC"
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    This summer I'm going to see a few BBC radio shows being recorded ; all comedies - all very hard to get tickets due to their popularity.

In addition, the Night Manager was a huge success.

could you suggest some good, non generic, popular content created recently?
    Sorry I haven't a clue ; News Quiz ; Unbelievable Truth ; Just a minute , plus a plethora of TV shows.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    The corrected first reading of this Bill has now been posted

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.