Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Our generation annoys me watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FNPC)
    All the safe spaces and trigger warnings at universities - get a grip, if you don't like people with different ideas to you, you really shouldn't be at uni.

Liberals. I don't like the left wing ideologies, and although I accept people opinions, I sometimes feel like people don't accept mine. If ever We are having a discussion at school for example, I find that if ever someone, including myself, says something they don't agree with, they just shout you down and talk over you...it's pathetic.

Bias in school- teachers are mostly all left wing, and they always try to influence us at school.
    You should be wary of thinking these as being more representative of "our generation" than they actually are, as well as of using 'liberal' in the *******ised American sense of the word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FNPC)
    No, I said the teachings at school were subjective.

The thing inamerica, no way are 1 in 100 people trans. They may say they are, but there can't be that many, it's just a fad.
    Not that long ago people would have said exactly the same about homosexuality and that it's a 'fad' because they didn't understand it, had a fear of the unknown and were unwilling to change their prejudices. Transgenderism, like homosexuality is not a fad, it's just more accepted in today's society and that's why you're seeing and hearing about trans people, as well as general gender issues, more often in society and the media. Everyone's entitled to their opinion etc etc. but I don't why people get so worked up about LGBT people, personally I think the prominence and greater acceptance and awareness of LGBT issues in the media these days is a testament to how open-minded our generation is and we're not afraid to challenge outdated belief systems and traditions, which is surely only a good thing., narrow-mindedness and clinging onto outdated belief systems only holds society back.

ReputationRep:
    We're far too hypersensitive and PC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elivercury)
    Why not? Do you have any basis for why this can't be? Because you know 100 people and not one of them that you know is trans?
    (Original post by epage)
    Okay I'm going to point something out here because apparently people don't understand what the wage gap ACTUALLY is. It is not that women on average get paid less than men, they do, that is partly to do with life choices and the glass ceiling and women not receiving promotions, CEO jobs etc. its that women get paid less for doing the exact same job than men do. Say you had two teachers, a man and a woman, both taught english and no other subjects, both joined the school at the same time and both teachers got similar attainment from their classes, the woman would get paid less than the man, thats the issue, feminists aren't complaining that women get paid less than men on average, we know, there's nothing we can really do about that, but we can make sure women and men get paid the same for doing the same job.

Omfg....no....

That is illegal (in England at least), if women get paid less than men for the exact same skills, employers would just employ as many women as they could wouldn't they? Use your brain. Also, it IS all to do with life choices, for example, men are more likely to ask for a raise, men are more likely to do more dangerous jobs, which is why like 95% of work place deaths are of men.

Men dominate the top jobs because they are more extreme, basically, women have an good average intelligence, and men are either really dumb or really clever, like opposite poles, you can look that up too.

If you wan to think about it more, watch a guy called milo yiannopolous, he does debates with feminists and I think uou woul enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    lol if you get upset about this kind of stuff how are you going to deal with life?
    I don't get upset, I'm annoyed by people that get upset and are all pansies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george_c00per)
    Do you disagree with homosexuality as well, by any chance?
    Love is love, stop assuming things about me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olie)
    Not that long ago people would have said exactly the same about homosexuality and that it's a 'fad' because they didn't understand it, had a fear of the unknown and were unwilling to change their prejudices. Transgenderism, like homosexuality is not a fad, it's just more accepted in today's society and that's why you're seeing and hearing about trans people, as well as general gender issues, more often in society and the media. Everyone's entitled to their opinion etc etc. but I don't why people get so worked up about LGBT people, personally I think the prominence and greater acceptance and awareness of LGBT issues in the media these days is a testament to how open-minded our generation is and we're not afraid to challenge outdated belief systems and traditions, which is surely only a good thing., narrow-mindedness and clinging onto outdated belief systems only holds society back.

Open mindedness? I call it having your head in the clouds. I'm a big believer in science and facts, that's what pushes society forwards, you realise people's happiness and relationships were so much better before all this sort of stuff came out, when you had two parents in the home and a couple of kids. Not 25 years old demolish with gender studies degrees protesting about bs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FNPC)
    Open mindedness? I call it having your head in the clouds. I'm a big believer in science and facts, that's what pushes society forwards, you realise people's happiness and relationships were so much better before all this sort of stuff came out, when you had two parents in the home and a couple of kids. Not 25 years old demolish with gender studies degrees protesting about bs.
    Were they happier?

I mean, there are plenty of gay men who were trapped in loveless/sexless marriages for 20-30 years who are now enjoying that it is socially acceptable to be gay. I presume plenty of gay women are also.

Likewise this whole nuclear family business and keeping up appearances has caused untold misery for many and could be argued is responsible for a lot of undiscovered child abuse.

Hell in America I believe it was only made illegal to rape your wife relatively recently.

I personally think you're overidealising the past. Which is usually something that people far older than you do.

Incidentally, any science that measures happiness is pseudo-science at best and while I appreciate what they are trying to do, there are so many variables to attempt to control it's pretty much impossible to get anything more than a rough suggestion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FNPC)
    Love is love, stop assuming things about me.
    People thought that homosexuality was a 'fad' much how you explained being transgender. Transgender people are not faking it for attention or going through a phase. What you've said is scientifically incorrect and downright offensive to the transgender community.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FNPC)
    Omfg....no....

That is illegal (in England at least), if women get paid less than men for the exact same skills, employers would just employ as many women as they could wouldn't they? Use your brain. Also, it IS all to do with life choices, for example, men are more likely to ask for a raise, men are more likely to do more dangerous jobs, which is why like 95% of work place deaths are of men.

Men dominate the top jobs because they are more extreme, basically, women have an good average intelligence, and men are either really dumb or really clever, like opposite poles, you can look that up too.

If you wan to think about it more, watch a guy called milo yiannopolous, he does debates with feminists and I think uou woul enjoy it.
    I know who Milo Yiannopoulos is. He's an idiot and he's hypocritical because he says liberals whine about everything, but thats like his whole job, his job is to whine about liberals whining.

I know its illegal in england, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen?? drugs are illegal but a lot of people do them??

Equal pay can confuse people because it means two different things. Equal pay is where women get paid the same amount for doing the same job. The gender pay gap is the difference in average earnings for women and average earnings for men across the country.

The gender pay gap does exist, and a lot of it is down to personal choice, but there are other things that account for this difference. When women move into new fields of work, and begin to dominate them, for example teaching, pay goes down. If men move into new fields of work and dominate them, pay goes up. So low paid work follows women around.

Also a lot of female, low paid and low skilled, dominated roles are part time, for example dinner ladies. Women are more likely to choose part-time work than men because of childcare needs.

Men are more likely to ask for a raise and be promoted. That's a fact yes, but men are more likely to be accepted, and they have more confidence generally than women to ask for a raise or promotion because the only rejections they get in life are from women they ask out. (Then they go murder the women because they aren't used to rejection, you can look that up.)

The figure about 95% of workplace fatalities are men is true, I hadn't heard that before, and obviously it is because men dominate skilled manual roles. But did you also know that the majority of workplace fatalities in women are caused by murder/homicide? And did you also know that the most common murderer of women in the workplace was a partner or relative (someone they knew)? Whereas the most common murderer of men in the workplace was a robber (someone they did not know).

I don't know what you are trying to say about intelligence here. Are you saying women are just average and men are extremely intelligent or stupid?? That makes no sense. Intelligence isn't sexist. It's to do with your upbringing.

The government published a document last month regarding equal pay and the gender pay gap, I haven't read it all yet, but educate yourself before talking to me as if you know better.

Also, heres a good infographic on the equal pay gap (where women get paid less than men for the same job.)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Please listen to the facts, you are wrong, understand this.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.