Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thinking of downloading Netflix - is it worth it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elivercury)
    I suspect my issue is primarily due to being in a large flat development and surrounded by 40-50 other wifi signals, given I am usually transmitting from within the same room. I've typically found my chromecast 2 lags whenever I stream to it, so I just opted for a 5m HDMI cable instead to thread around the room. If I'm getting serious over a game online I also use power over ethernet rather than wifi, but it has been a while since I bothered with that.
    That must suck. Only suggestion I can think of would be changing your wifi channel to one with less interference but it may not help. Using channels 1, 6 or 11. Using an app like Wifi Analyzer (Android) will enable you see what channels are the other routers are running on.

Alternatively if you're router supports 5GHz you can use that as no interference from the standard 2.4GHz. Problem with this is it might require a new router, or some (older) devices may not support this frequency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rust Cohle)
    That must suck. Only suggestion I can think of would be changing your wifi channel to one with less interference but it may not help. Using channels 1, 6 or 11. Using an app like Wifi Analyzer (Android) will enable you see what channels are the other routers are running on.

Alternatively if you're router supports 5GHz you can use that as no interference from the standard 2.4GHz. Problem with this is it might require a new router, or some (older) devices may not support this frequency.
    I'm running 5GHz (and 2.4), each as a separate SSID. I've also played around with every channel for 15-20 minutes to test the speeds/stability I get and 11 gives me the best (which bizarrely is the same channel as nearly everyone else).

Although I also suspect part of the issue is that I usually have about 7-8 devices connected to the wifi at any one time, so the newer 2x2 antennae configuration might help that, but I suspect one of those would not be cheap (and I only have a single device that actually supports this).

I think the only real solution is to move elsewhere, which I'm hoping to do in a month or two after I do some DIY to get my flat into a fit state.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rust Cohle)
    If

If you own a smart TV, accquaint yourself with DLNA. Using your phone as a remote to play content from one device (e.g. laptop, phone) to another (e.g. TV, phone). No wires required. If you know what you're doing, you could alternatively stream straight from the web without having to download media locally.
    I don't download, I use one of the many variations of watchseries.

However, I shall take your DLNA point into consideration (then again, I don't think I've got a smart TV so it might all be for nothing XD But if it means I don't need to get up, I'm all for it ).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.