Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    1) No. But i can guarantee i'll be able to post all answers between 10-11.

2)

I support a European federation.. but not with Britain in it. The problem i have is that the Leave campaign are right.. they are right that in hindsight if this were 1973 i would not have voted to join. Not only did we give up our brethren in the Anglosphere (hell, at one point Brits and Australians were joint citizens) but we will never be part of a European Federation. They are too unwilling on global affairs, too left leaning economically and move at a snails pace. The structure is a half measure entirely due to the vested interests of its architects. Germany wants more power but none of the cost and France craps itself at the thought of a European parliament under effective German control. Despite this though, the governments want ever closer integration but without what is necessary for it to function at the optimum. The democratic issues are due to the half measures, really you need the parliament to be sovereign and command the commission and council. Right now it's upside down.

There are plenty of good and bad points to EU membership.

Advantages..

More power when we speak as one in the world (granted getting 29 members to agree is difficult).
    Jobs and investment from global business wanting a European base - London regarded as the Financial capital of Europe
    Free movement of labour (at least 300 million of which is from rich countries that we should want it with, some question of whether it's a good idea with eastern Europe)
    ~15% of MEP's give us a relatively large say, if the Tories choose to leave the governing EPP that's their fault
    Carrot of EU membership has given countries an incentive to adopt western values and open market economies
    Prevents Russian expansion (Crimea and a small eastern region may go to Russia but the west has won the bulk of Ukraine)
    Protects workers rights (even i as a Tory don't entirely trust some of the talk about abolition of regulation, some of it screams of business over employee)

Disadvantages..

Common agricultural policy - The EU is a subsidy junky
    Net contribution
    Common Fisheries Policy - Our fish stocks in recent decades have been decimated and some countries don't even have coasts
    EU is beaurocratic and slow full of vested interests
    The EU has expanded into poor countries too quickly (granted it's hard to prevent Russian influence expanding if you don't).
    The EU is broadly too pacifist
    The EU becoming ever more federal will likely force us to eventually go all in or all out.

Effects of coming out..

Probable fiscal benefits due to abolition of subsidies and part of our contribution back
    Probably able to go out and get trade treaties quicker
    Potential for good regulation to be abolished by domestic governments
    Potential for immigration to be aggressively reduced (bad if you ask me)
    Lower jobs and investment as regulation diverges from business wanting a European base (more a case of lost future investment than business fleeing but potentially more freedom for British business wanting to export globally)
    Potential for closer relationships with our brethren in the Anglosphere

Note that i made that post a year ago, it's simply an example

3) Yes and i'm voting Leave.

4) I'm a pragmatic aspirational Tory well respected by both the left and moderate right, i'm prepared to campaign for the prosperity of our nation even if it requires proposing policy which is not ideologically pure for those on the right. In that same vein i put forward a policy stance on the EU which is not the norm for those on the right (i'm pro EU immigration for example) but one which is coherent and hard to argue against logically. I also see foreign relations for what they are unlike most, i'm a realist.
    As for a leave I back Rakas. Very nice person
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    1. Yes, maybe, if anything I will say I won't be on.
    2. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post65251755
    3. Too young to vote, but I would like to vote leave if I had the power to do that.
    4. Because I think there are lies on both sides, but more importantly, people need to be told the truth about the EU. The EU isn't la di da, it isn't what we signed up for 40 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    I'll stick up for Remain if you need someone. You can see my many posts in UK politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I'm in. Sign me up for remain.

1. Yep

2. The Immigration argument from the Leave Campaign is a deeply flawed one. There is no way we can have both a strong economy and limit EU immigration, because we can't be both in the single market and control immigration.

3. Too young. Been out campaigning with the Lib Dems to vote in. I miss out by a month and a half.

4. Passionate about Politics and our place in the EU. Taken part in plenty of debates and another one would be great.
    I believe it's more controlling our immigration, not limiting it.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The Roast)
    I believe it's more controlling our immigration, not limiting it.
    We won't be able to control it either. But let's save it for the debate?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am willing to take part!

-Yea, I will be free!

-Evidence I can debate- http://prntscr.com/bi1x1j-I am too young to vote, but I am supporting remain!

-I am very passionate about the EU and I am also a new member to these forums so I think I can add new refreshing opinions

Thanks,
    William!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuWill2001)
    Hi,

I am willing to take part!

-Yea, I will be free!

-Evidence I can debate- http://prntscr.com/bi1x1j-I am too young to vote, but I am supporting remain!

-I am very passionate about the EU and I am also a new member to these forums so I think I can add new refreshing opinions

Thanks,
    William!
    Sorry! My 2nd and 3rd point have merged together, sorry!

To confirm I would like to Remain

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tell me why?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The Roast)
    Tell me why?
    Once we leave the EU, we have to negotiate back into the Single Market because it's worth so much to our economy. However, to re-enter the Single Market we have to accept freedom of movement of EU citizens. We also have to accept a tonne of legislation and regulations that we'll have absolutely no say over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Opinion)
    You believe that your school should pay thousands of pounds for an interpreter for one student? Unbelievable (face palm).
    It doesn't cost that much I'm sure. They paid £2000 for a "motivational speaker" but quite frankly, YES as they also get paid £5000 for each student (including that girl) so why not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salllllllly)
    It doesn't cost that much I'm sure. They paid £2000 for a "motivational speaker" but quite frankly, YES as they also get paid £5000 for each student (including that girl) so why not?
    Can you please direct me towards the mystical money tree that you have found?

The naivety of your statement is a wonder to behold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    1. Are you available on Monday evening at 7:30?
    2. Give an example of a post that you feel demonstrates your debating skill, and political/ EU knowledge
    3. Do you intend to vote/ if you were to vote, would you vote for stay or leave? [To ensure balanced panel]
    4. Why should we choose you to join the panel?
    1. Yes
    - I believe that we are much better staying in somewhere that we know is safe and where our lives are completely fine, rather than taking a step out which could possibly affect our lives for the worst.
    - I do not see any benefits of leaving the EU, and would rather see the benefits of remaining in, like the rights for workers, trade which improves the economy and the scientific advancements we make thanks to contributions from other member states.
    - The leave campaigners fail to focus on anything other than 'taking back control', something which has been denied a lot, with evidence, by anybody on the remain side. The leave campaign focuses heavily on the possibility of things happening in the future (with Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage planning to run the country if the UK votes Brexit) and Boris constantly ignores any arguments about his weak 'control' points.
    3. I am too young to vote but I would easily vote for a remain.
    4. I've been active in the news and current affairs and politics forums and I can use sourced examples to ensure that the point I have made is clear and reliable. I have strong opinions about the EU and want to ensure any students who are eligible to vote and viewing the forum would be able to see why a remain vote is far more logical than a leave vote.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Once we leave the EU, we have to negotiate back into the Single Market because it's worth so much to our economy. However, to re-enter the Single Market we have to accept freedom of movement of EU citizens. We also have to accept a tonne of legislation and regulations that we'll have absolutely no say over.
    Or we just don't reenter the single market people seem to have a fixation on

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Or we just don't reenter the single market people seem to have a fixation on

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah....because that'll end well. Again though, let's save it for the debate because I don't want to exhaust all my arguments before we get started
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Why are you for Remain now? I thought you were for Out.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Why are you for Remain now? I thought you were for Out.
    I'm still a eurosceptic, and honestly, the TSR referendum was just a bit of fun, but my views have shifted slightly. For all the EU's faults, and there are plenty, I do not believe we are better off outside of it currently.

If there's a massive transfer of power, we get another referendum anyway, and I think we're better off in the EU as it is now than out of it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm still a eurosceptic, and honestly, the TSR referendum was just a bit of fun, but my views have shifted slightly. For all the EU's faults, and there are plenty, I do not believe we are better off outside of it currently.

If there's a massive transfer of power, we get another referendum anyway, and I think we're better off in the EU as it is now than out of it.
    There is unlikely to be a major transfer in one go until formalisation of a federation, the eurocrats know such an attempt would be severely damaging and thus will be going for the slow and steady route, taking power slowly but surely in a way that doesn't cause suspicion

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    There have literally been hundreds of EU debates on TSR, and there are several running right now. Why do we need another one, especially one where only a limited number of people can take part?

If this has to go ahead, I hope nulli tertius and Fullofsurprises will be involved. If the panel is made up of mostly MHoC members it will be really boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    There have literally been hundreds of EU debates on TSR, and there are several running right now. Why do we need another one, especially one where only a limited number of people can take part?

If this has to go ahead, I hope nulli tertius and Fullofsurprises will be involved. If the panel is made up of mostly MHoC members it will be really boring.
    Thanks for the mention. I didn't put myself forward because I wasn't sure I would be available at the time mentioned - I intend to contribute if I'm around.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to debate for Leave but aren't sure if I'd be around at that time so nevermind.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.