Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I would suggest 28 days, but when strikes have the potential to cause chaos, a strike should not be held with 25% of eligible union members voting to strike, the majority of eligible members should vote to strike to make sure the action chosen is the action mandated by the majority of members eligible to strike.
    I get where you're coming from but I think we should try and be a bit realistic here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Except you're basically saying strike or, pay even more to be in the union.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd support a "don't strike, don't get benefits of it" policy among unions. Why should people who lose the pay to strike suffer while the people who do **** all get the benefits?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    I think the left disagreeing with a bill that limits TUs power to hold industry to ransom isn't that good a thing, especially after the author of the bill has stated previously that he agrees with TUs and wished to encourage membership of them.
    Essential services don't hold business to ransom. I can see the fear people on the right have for a 1970s or US style trade union system, but the UK already has the least effective trade unions in Europe. Ain't gonna happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also, how can the Right justify supporting the right of individuals but not supporting the right of individuals to unionise. Hypocritical libertarianism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm......the "Liberals" are very silent about this one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Essential services don't hold business to ransom. I can see the fear people on the right have for a 1970s or US style trade union system, but the UK already has the least effective trade unions in Europe. Ain't gonna happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry, but I happen to believe that collective bargaining > Strike Action.

Essential services are essential, and I'm not limiting TU influence in those sectors, just their ability to strike because striking tends to do more harm than good. Pray tell, how have the JD strikes gone down?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Hmmm......the "Liberals" are very silent about this one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am not surprised, I have relentlessly criticised the Liberal Party for being spineless sell-outs who obsess over virtual titles of power but have no interest of improving things; the Liberal party is in the coalition to make up the numbers. The Liberal Party leader criticised me for this view but it is indefensible to make a claim the party supports workers' rights, a living wage, and more equality but support a policy doing the opposite eight weeks later.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I am not surprised, I have relentlessly criticised the Liberal Party for being spineless sell-outs who obsess over virtual titles of power but have no interest of improving things; the Liberal party is in the coalition to make up the numbers. The Liberal Party leader criticised me for this view but it is indefensible to make a claim the party supports workers' rights, a living wage, and more equality but support a policy doing the opposite eight weeks later.
    This bill has no effect on any of those things.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad

Essential services are essential, and I'm not limiting TU influence in those sectors, just their ability to strike because striking tends to do more harm than good. Pray tell, how have the JD strikes gone down?
    Taxi drivers are essential:toofunny:
    The JD's actually have public support... A strike is an ultimate action when everything else doesn't work.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If the workers find it more difficult to strike there is a reduction in workers' rights to call a strike, if the notification time of a strike increases there is a reduction in the rights of workers to launch a surprise strike, and when the collective power of workers is reduced by limiting strikes the financial equality that will come from faster wage increases under unions will be destroyed.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If the workers find it more difficult to strike there is a reduction in workers' rights to call a strike, if the notification time of a strike increases there is a reduction in the rights of workers to launch a surprise strike, and when the collective power of workers is reduced by limiting strikes the financial equality that will come from faster wage increases under unions will be destroyed.
    The power of unions doesn't only come from the ability to withdraw labour....
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The power of unions doesn't only come from the ability to withdraw labour....
    Yes it does, if trade unions did not have the ultimate power to strike, there would be no worth in trade unions because employers could ignore all demands trade unions make knowing the trade unions can do nothing to influence business decisions.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yes it does, if trade unions did not have the ultimate power to strike, there would be no worth in trade unions because employers could ignore all demands trade unions make knowing the trade unions can do nothing to influence business decisions.
    Trade Unions contain a number of experts whose expertise lie in protecting the rights and wellbeing in the workplace, they also lobby to bring about greater change, the more members that they have means the more money they have to protect the workforce and lobby for change. They do not need to strike in order to do the good that they do.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Trade Unions contain a number of experts whose expertise lie in protecting the rights and wellbeing in the workplace, they also lobby to bring about greater change, the more members that they have means the more money they have to protect the workforce and lobby for change. They do not need to strike in order to do the good that they do.
    I disagree, trade unions have political power because the government is aware of the ability trade unions have to strike. When the government response to other collective bodies, or think tanks is looked at, the government is less willing to meet the demands of these groups, take the groups seriously, or negotiate with the groups.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I disagree, trade unions have political power because the government is aware of the ability trade unions have to strike. When the government response to other collective bodies, or think tanks is looked at, the government is less willing to meet the demands of these groups, take the groups seriously, or negotiate with the groups.
    Simple because of the size of the groups and their funding compared to other more well funded and larger pressure groups. The larger that TUs become, the more pressure they can apply to employers as well as governments. They do not need to be able to strike to enact positive changes like higher wages and better working conditions.

When has the CBI ever gone on strike?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Simple because of the size of the groups and their funding compared to other more well funded and larger pressure groups. The larger that TUs become, the more pressure they can apply to employers as well as governments. They do not need to be able to strike to enact positive changes like higher wages and better working conditions.

When has the CBI ever gone on strike?
    If trade unions do not need to strike to achieve their goals of improving working conditions, that means strikes are an unnecessary action that impacts business but does not achieve anything, strikes should be illegal. Your reluctance to outlaw striking is because striking is the biggest power a trade union has; striking underpins all action by a trade union. Your comparison to the CBI is unfair, the government listens to the CBI because the CBI represents the wealth creators in the country who provide the jobs for trade union members to take, if the CBI was not listened to the businesses could ruin the country's economy. When comparing to trade unions, if trade unions did not have the power to strike there would be no incentive for the government to listen to the demands made by trade unions because the workers would carry on working. If trade unions could not strike, trade unions would have the same political power as pressure groups like Friends of the Earth, Greenpeace, Fathers 4 Justice, Stop the War Coalition, and the NUS.

ReputationRep:

JD strikes retained public support.

If you want to remove striking you need to implement an alternative system for change. I'm open to an alternative way by which employees can pressure employers for change, (some smaller measures are also being used, but there's simply nothing as effective)

Depends on the situation, frankly, striking is indeed as it should be, a last resort, but with RL government actions striking is very important. Forcefully introducing a dangerous contract required strike action to prevent it, collective bargaining made no difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As part of coalitions I can accept conceding certain points in negotiation, but this is an abhorrent transfer of power away from workers and I hope any Libs who genuinely back this come out and defend it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How exactly does this bill not affect workers rights?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Trade unions are good at ADVISING about how to improve worker employer relations, but they would have no power to implement if this passes. A business can ignore all union concerns with no repercussions if the right to strike was removed. A contract universally labeled as dangerous would have passed.....EXCEPT FOR STRIKE ACTION.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.