Ask the Speaker II

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    It's always nice to see former Speakers offering good advice ... oh wait

Too soon?
    I said 'on second thoughts'!

Haha, not at all. I'm quite happy with my new(ish) job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Realised my slip up, once every four years sorry. I was too concentrated on making the point to realise my mistake. In anycase it seems either way you wouldn't see it as a reason
    You don't need to apologise for not realising some football stuff while you marched to defend your former Labour pal (looks like some ‘important’ tournament, right?). Some like to take pictures of defecating people so I guess being fanatical about football is relatively harmless and nothing to be particularly discouraged. My main point is that there was no good reason for postponing the update once the list of voters had been provided given that the poll results should have been revealed yesterday.

Anyway, let's drop this. I don't care that much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    *cough*three updates last night
    That in all fairness is down to TSR's inability to not crash for a couple of minutes whilst I sent the PM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Some like to take pictures of defecating people
    As you do...

Why don't you go and do some gloating rather than moan about the football?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    As you do...

Why don't you go and do some gloating rather than moan about the football?
    :rolleyes:

Let me see… because there's nothing to gloat over? It's a bit insulting to learn you consider me one of those people. Perhaps that time will come if we manage to be significantly better than our predecessors. (Though I'm not saying I'm not greatly satisfied and happy about Quam the Usurper's failure. :laugh:)

Anyway, your performance hasn't been brilliant so far either so perhaps try to do something about it while we keep working on our output.

ReputationRep:
    Who DOESN'T like taking pictures of people defecating?

ReputationRep:
    Please update this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ons_Parliament

ReputationRep:
    Let me see if it will work this time...

ReputationRep:
    Nope, wiki will still not save.

Queen Cersei
    Is there any update on the problems with getting the wiki editor to save?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, wiki will still not save.

Queen Cersei
    Is there any update on the problems with getting the wiki editor to save?
    I tried to update the Labour Leaders section but it wouldn't let me save.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I tried to update the Labour Leaders section but it wouldn't let me save.
    Yep, same problem here.

Apparently the CT were looking at it but they haven't got back to me.

ReputationRep:
    Statement on the provisions of A141

As you are all hopefully aware, the provisions of A141 are now in effect.

The important bit of that amendment is the following:

4) MPs are not allowed to switch from one seat number to another seat number unless;
    a. a period of four weeks has passed
    b. the member is a proxy MP who has not been an MP for more than four consecutive weeks before becoming a proxy MP, unless a period of four weeks has passed since last serving as an MP for four consecutive weeks. For the purposes of this bill the election period does not count towards those four weeks of not being an MP.
    As I interpret it (and will be enforcing it) the provisions are as follows:

– No MP who has a seat number (i.e. any permanent MP) may switch immediately to another seat number. People who are not MPs at the time (including former MPs) do not have a seat number (it will have been passed on to the MP that replaced them), and so someone may leave one seat and take up another seat, providing it is not immediately.

– An MP only loses their seat number when they are replaced (so an MP who is for whatever reason not replaced hangs onto their seat number). They may be proxied during this time if not permanently replaced immediately, but the switching regulations will still apply.

– Proxies may switch from proxying one seat to proxying another seat immediately. As a result the difference between permanent MPs and proxy MPs will need to be more strictly observed, including by myself.

– Permanent MPs cannot immediately become proxies.

– "Immediately" is defined as the public announcement of the changes being made on the same date.

– These rules are party blind, so if a member switches seat numbers to another party's seat, under seat-sharing rules or as a defection, they are not allowed to take up a seat within the new party's allocation immediately.

ReputationRep:
    Saracen's Fez - I would like to thank you for the earlier updates you have been sending recently.

ReputationRep:
    Saracen's Fez - I would like to thank you for the earlier updates you have been sending recently.
    When the Euro quarter finals begin they may revert to post-10pm, just warning you.

ReputationRep:
    When the Euro quarter finals begin they may revert to post-10pm, just warning you.
    I guess it depends on how Wales do.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends on how Wales do.
    No, I'll still be watching.

ReputationRep:
    No, I'll still be watching.
    Hopefully a nice England v Wales final.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9&postcount=86

Could you clarify which the 'non-legislative provisions' are please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9&postcount=86

Could you clarify which the 'non-legislative provisions' are please?
    Having re-read it, that would be precisely nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Statement on the MHoC and the European Union

Following the vote to leave the EU in RL last Thursday, I feel it would be helpful to attempt to clarify the situation in the MHoC.

– A referendum was held at the end of the 21st Parliament, in which the TSR electorate voted to remain in the EU – a continuation of the (then) status quo. Under the provisions of the Guidance Document, this result is binding until the end of the current (23rd) Parliament.

– Regardless of what happens in RL, a decision has been taken on TSR and that decision will stand until any further in-game changes. Basically the status of TSR in the EU will be as it is now, including the provisions of the First Canon Amendment, which allows the MHoC to overrule EU law on individual issues.

– The current situation will continue into Parliament 24 and beyond, the only change being that it will be possible to propose a bill or referendum proposing changes to TSRland's relationship with the EU.

– Were, in the future, TSRland to leave the EU and later rejoin, Canon would not be in effect (in leaving and rejoining a decision will have been taken on TSR to change the status quo) and thus the First Canon Amendment would no longer apply: EU law would not be able to be overruled without the passing of a new amendment.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.