Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do/did your parents let you swear openly around them? watch

ReputationRep:
    They don't mind as longs as it relevant and not just ****ing this and f that.

ReputationRep:
    "Shut up" is swearing in my home
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When it's an intense conversation and I say a swear to like emphasise my anger, no problem because she swears filthy too, tbh

But if I swore AT her like ***** sit down which I NEVER do she would ...well Idk what she'd do because I wouldn't even try it lol

(Original post by Eternalflames)
    I said the f word once around them when I was 9, my mum lit a match and threatened to put it in my mouth. She got it really close to my mouth but I blew it out :rofl:
    I don't really swear that much but when a word slips out around them now, I get a slap on my arm
    That was so funny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley Williams)
    They don't mind as longs as it relevant and not just ****ing this and f that.
    Yea we can't just eff n jeff in my gaff but swearing during a convo yea

ReputationRep:
    Mine don't mind, but I don't swear in front of my parents nevertheless.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    They do. Or rather, don't care. I once used the f word and my dad replied with "I can't believe you swore!" :lol: Only because I never swear.

ReputationRep:
    When I was younger yeah my parents would strictly forbid it but since I'm in my late teens now my dad doesn't really do anything if I swear as long as it's not in a bad context like if I'm fighting with my brother or something. He sometimes tells me off for it but not as much as he used to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I never swore around them, actually I rarely swore even when they were not around :teehee: Now I only swear when I'm angry and it usually happens at work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GUMI)
    Because I know I would be dead if I said any foul language around them.
    My parents used to think saying something 'sucked' was a swear word

'retard' and 'idiot' and 'damn' are still frowned upon in my household let alone swear words :lol:

(Original post by GUMI)
    Not until I was an adult. Besides, I know a dozen languages so if they don't like me swearing I'll just do it in some other language. Latin is particularly rich and satisfying (with words like futuor, merda, and landica), but learning Proto-Indo-European for writing my novel taught me a few interesting words (eibho being a fun one).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GUMI)
    when i didnt do my homework, my dad scold me with words like "**** your mum".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    when i didnt do my homework, my dad scold me with words like "**** your mum".
    What...lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When I was younger it would not go down well but now it is not really an issue. I don't think they would be particularly impressed if I just walked around swearing for no reason other than to be offensive but to be honest it is quite harmless really in the grand scheme of things.

ReputationRep:
    Only 12A-rated swear words like 's**t' or 't**t' or 'b****h'. As soon I start using the 15-rated words like 'f***' and especially 'c**t', then they will scold me.
    It's pretty funny actually. I older I've gotten, the more the lines are blurred; there's this unspoken boundary, and to find that boundary I need to test it by saying a higher 'category' of swear word and seeing how they react

.. that's not to say I enjoy swearing

ReputationRep:
    i love my parents but sometimes i dont like them

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i can say everything but the f word in english and every swear word in my mothertongue

Depends, crap and the other one for poo is alright but not the one beginning with F

Ahah figures, I fit it all in one sentence but I don't usually swear irl...

ReputationRep:
    Crap is a swear word?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As a kid no. As I got older more and more swearing slipped into conversation. Stuff like s**t and c**p are pretty much commonplace. I try to avoid anything too obscene out of respect more than anything but nowadays we swear a fair amount. Can't say it's ever had any impact.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but I avoid using the c-word for a lady's private parts.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.