Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone else get annoyed as hell when they see how well others live? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    Google gets it from the Oxford Dictionary.

Where are you getting your definition from?

Are you giving up this easily? Well, that's not satisfying.
    Synonyms don't always have the exact same meaning, so your point no longer stands that because they are synonyms they can be used interchangeably

A simple google search will support my claim, "difference between jealousy and envy"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Proximo)
    Synonyms don't always have the exact same meaning, so your point no longer stands that because they are synonyms they can be used interchangeably

A simple google search will support my claim, "difference between jealousy and envy"
    Well, I think you may be right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.Carnell)
    They don't work hard and the vast majority don't even get good grades. Yet they get given everything on a plate.
    Generalizing much. I work hard and still get given everything on a plate.

Maybe if you weren't such a generalizing, discriminatory dummkopf you'd be able to get a job.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is jealous of wealthier people, it's human nature. If facebook bothers you so much either hide their posts or quite facebook cold turkey. If it makes you feel any better I have a job but because I only work part time and it isn't a very good job I don't have the money to be poncing off all over the world either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Everyone is jealous of wealthier people, it's human nature. If facebook bothers you so much either hide their posts or quite facebook cold turkey. If it makes you feel any better I have a job but because I only work part time and it isn't a very good job I don't have the money to be poncing off all over the world either
    Why do you work part time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ano9901whichone)
    Why do you work part time?
    Because I study

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    This is really simplistic.

I'm not in any way jealous of the Kardashians, Kanye West or even Donald Trump. I'm envious of intelligent, educated, good looking people. If they also happen to be rich, I'll be even more envious but only because I admire them and would want to be like them. Being rich and going on holidays or whatever doesn't sound to me like there's a lot to be envious of. If you're a good person and educated, well-read, etc then I will be envious of you but not in a nasty way. I'd want to be more like you.

So no, not everyone is jealous of wealthier people. Depends on who. I'm envious of Steven Runciman, not some random Pop star.

ReputationRep:
    It's like my Facebook is a constant barrage of people having holidays all around the world, like it is all they seem to do.

Meanwhile I am here months into unemployment, whilst I am not poor... I cannot afford to fritter my money away like that. I have to save my money because I cannot afford to be financially reckless.

(Get a job? It's tougher for a minority, God knows I am trying but it is just more difficult than your standard middle class white kid that gives handed a job after graduation because he or she has the right amount of melanin in their skin.)

edit: please note that i also feel the pain of white working class people after having to experience what they experience for long stretches of time after I graduated. The UK is an extremely unforgiving place that is more driven by discriminatory class distinctions rather than purely racial distinctions.
    Graduation graduation graduation, jesus christ. Have u ever thought of owning a company one day ? Your attitude screams 9-5.

Millionaires dont graduate/never been to uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I understand your frustration. And I firmly believe it's going to get worse if we leave the EU.

ReputationRep:
    Unsurprisingly studies link using facebook to envy, depression, low self esteem and anxiety
    e.g. http://www.salon.com/2015/12/10/face...alone_partner/

probably you should quit or at least spend less time on it.

ReputationRep:
    No. I do get jealous of people's appearances that wish I had.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GreenIceCream)
    This is really simplistic.

I'm not in any way jealous of the Kardashians, Kanye West or even Donald Trump. I'm envious of intelligent, educated, good looking people. If they also happen to be rich, I'll be even more envious but only because I admire them and would want to be like them. Being rich and going on holidays or whatever doesn't sound to me like there's a lot to be envious of. If you're a good person and educated, well-read, etc then I will be envious of you but not in a nasty way. I'd want to be more like you.

So no, not everyone is jealous of wealthier people. Depends on who. I'm envious of Steven Runciman, not some random Pop star.
    Maybe you are slightly unusual, the vast majority of people do not envy those more intelligent than themselves, they might be envious of those better looking and richer than themselves though. Intelligence and education are very good but aren't really valued in and in of themselves until financial gain comes with them.

ReputationRep:
    What people do with their money is completely up to them for all we know they could have worked hard for a long time to save up the money for that holiday. But I guess its kind of annoying when people get things handed on a plate to them but you have to do all the hard work for it.

ReputationRep:
    you do not need Faecebook in your life. just get rid of it & you will be much happier.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    8(gr+b+m+r+1/1) multiply out the brackets showing all your working (3 Marks) June 2016

ReputationRep:
    No

Most of those people are attention seekers, the need for self appraisal by others, the need to show the world hey look how busy I am. It's not essential to show off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's like my Facebook is a constant barrage of people having holidays all around the world, like it is all they seem to do.

Meanwhile I am here months into unemployment, whilst I am not poor... I cannot afford to fritter my money away like that. I have to save my money because I cannot afford to be financially reckless.

(Get a job? It's tougher for a minority, God knows I am trying but it is just more difficult than your standard middle class white kid that gives handed a job after graduation because he or she has the right amount of melanin in their skin.)

edit: please note that i also feel the pain of white working class people after having to experience what they experience for long stretches of time after I graduated. The UK is an extremely unforgiving place that is more driven by discriminatory class distinctions rather than purely racial distinctions.
    I used to feel like this too i would say either delete them from your facebook OR stay of social media there is no point comparing your life to others it's just going to make your situation worse and make you feel ungrateful for things you already have. Remember to always look at people that are less fortunate than you they would absolutely LOVE to have your lifestyle NEVER compare yourself to people that have more than you it will do you no good. You should start/end your day counting your blessings maybe writing them down, saying them in your mind or out loud. You are healthy, you have all your limbs, you have food, a roof over your head, people you can talk to when you feel down, friends and family. Many people DON'T have access to such things just be more grateful and live with a positive attitude. Always remember to celebrate YOUR life not someone else's

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.