Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naveed-7)
    Switzerland is outside the EU and the soviets have not invaded them.

If we leave, we will be able to make new free trade relationships with Switzerland, Australia, Japan, China, America, etc etc. This will also increase our security.

Britain already conducts more trade outside the EU than any other member state, and the EU takes an ever-shrinking share of our exports, down from about 55% in 2002 to less than 45% last year. This trend is set to continue, underlining that our greatest opportunity for future prosperity lies in the global economy.
    Australia, an economy half our size, has agreements in place with China, the United States, Japan and a host of smaller countries. It is on the brink of signing with India.If we leave, we would regain the freedom to forge deals while continuing to trade freely with the EU.The Remain campaign would have us believe the EU would impose tariff barriers in retribution, but the truth is we import nearly £70bn more from the continent than we sell there, so it would be an absurd act of economic self-harm for the EU to start a trade war with Britain.The clearest risk is the prospect of remaining in the EU, locked to a doomed Eurozone. That is not a fanciful forecast, but an assessment of what is already happening, as well as the Union’s published plans for its future.
    It was a joke, dude. Relax. Relax.

ReputationRep:
    However, Im sure that we can do fine without EU. Switzerland is surviving and has built free trade relationships with Japan, China and America, etc.
    The Swiss model isn't something the UK would want.

It took ages for them to get an agreement with the EU - 6 years for the first packaged of deals. They had to make concessions - such as allowing the free movement of people. They don't have full access to the single market - financial services aren't covered (save a few exceptions). Since finance is kinda the UK's thing, that'd be a huge sticking point.

And the EU has said that it won't allow another Swiss model. It is broken and the EU don't want to repeat the whole thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    The Swiss model isn't something the UK would want.

It took ages for them to get an agreement with the EU - 6 years for the first packaged of deals. They had to make concessions - such as allowing the free movement of people. They don't have full access to the single market - financial services aren't covered (save a few exceptions). Since finance is kinda the UK's thing, that'd be a huge sticking point.

And the EU has said that it won't allow another Swiss model. It is broken and the EU don't want to repeat the whole thing.
    Utter rubbish. Watch the video and look at everything the Switerland people do politically and financially. Leaving the EU is possible and we would be better off.

Also look at my other thread which proves and gives facts why Bank of England makes false Brexit warnings, and how it is very possible that we will be fine and thriving if we leave the EU.

ReputationRep:
    Utter rubbish. Watch the video and look at everything the Switerland people do politically and financially. Leaving the EU is possible and we would be better off.

Also look at my other thread which proves and gives facts why Bank of England makes false Brexit warnings, and how it is very possible that we will be fine and thriving if we leave the EU.
    I'm with you for Leave but the Swiss model will not be permitted, it requires dozens of treaties and the EU is widely reported to consider it a mistake. Once we leave we will have two choices after all the initial posturing has stopped.. capitulate on EU immigration and get the Norway option or leave the single market. The dream option (the Swiss option) is highly unrealistic in terms of expectations.

ReputationRep:

I'm not going to watch the video, because if it says what you are telling me it does... then it is absolute garbage.

I really don't see what is so appealing about the Swiss model.

ReputationRep:

Having watched the video, I still do not know how you have come to the conclusion that the success of Switzerland is due to it being outside of the EU, or how the UK would thrive from being outside of the EU.

The video doesn't explain either, other than simply asserting ''Democracy, regulations, bureaucracy!''.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to watch the video, because if it says what you are telling me it does... then it is absolute garbage.

I really don't see what is so appealing about the Swiss model.
    This is not just about joining the Swiss model. This is about our freedom to build new free trade relationships and regain our laws, financial security, border security, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Tiny Switzerland yes...Norway too, they have to abide by all EU rules but have NO say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is not just about joining the Swiss model. This is about our freedom to build new free trade relationships and regain our laws, financial security, border security, etc.
    Well you're the one who mentioned the Swiss model.

By the way - Switzerland has arguably given up its sovereignty in order to work with the EU. It still has to implement laws made in the EU... and has no say in them. It also has to allow the free movement of people.

So if you were using the Swiss model as a way of making the above argument... it wasn't a particularly good example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    Well, you've seen what British nationalists are like. Entitled, insecure, bad for our economy. Without cultural enrichment, we're just a white supremacy with little going for us apart from the Big Ben and Oxbridge.
    Except you don't have to have immigrants to be "culturally enriched", globalisation of media does that plenty fine. At this point, not letting in unskilled immigrants would help us create a more stable British culture, with less pockets of other cultures within.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    They've talked about direct democracy but that isn't relevant to us being in the EU.

ReputationRep:
    Well you're the one who mentioned the Swiss model.

By the way - Switzerland has arguably given up its sovereignty in order to work with the EU. It still has to implement laws made in the EU... and has no say in them. It also has to allow the free movement of people.

So if you were using the Swiss model as a way of making the above argument... it wasn't a particularly good example.
    Yes, your right, that was in 2014 which was recently. But it does not change the fact that Switzerland is doing very well and has been doing very well without lots of EU restrictions that UK has.

ReputationRep:
    I did say we have little going for us apart from the Big Ben and Oxbridge. Many of those scientists got their education at Oxbridge, so I don't disagree with you. But make no mistake; multiculturalism has made us who we are as a nation today.
    Citation needed. Multiculturalism benefits us in the particular fields of the arts, music, food, etc. I think it's a stretch to say it has "made us who we are as a nation today".

To say all we have going for us is "Big Ben and Oxbridge" is self-hating nonsense. You don't even have to be a swivel-eyed patriot to see that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grand High Witch)
    Citation needed. Multiculturalism benefits us in the particular fields of the arts, music, food, etc. I think it's a stretch to say it has "made us who we are as a nation today".

To say all we have going for us is "Big Ben and Oxbridge" is self-hating nonsense. You don't even have to be a swivel-eyed patriot to see that.
    My bad. All we have going for us is the Big Ben, Oxbridge and Harry Potter.

ReputationRep:
    My bad. All we have going for us is the Big Ben, Oxbridge and Harry Potter.
    Yet you obviously choose to remain in a country that has so little going for it. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grand High Witch)
    Yet you obviously choose to remain in a country that has so little going for it. :rolleyes:
    What can I say - I have far too much economic value to offer to this country

NB: I plan to settle down in Germany eventually. The engineering industry is far better there.

ReputationRep:
    What can I say - I have far too much economic value to offer to this country

NB: I plan to settle down in Germany eventually. The engineering industry is far better there.
    Exactly. I wouldnt even consider you as a true British person who stands up for England's security and freedom.

The only reason your voting remain and giving your country's laws away is so that you can go to Germany and get a job (selfish).

If you look at history, your previous British White heroic soldiers fought in Wars to defend this country's freedom. Some of them got killed and hurt. But thats how England had it's independence.

There are three good reasons why a person should Vote Leave:

1) Regain our independence and law control.

2) Stop paying £350 million every week to EU leaders.

3) Control on our borders and be able to re-elect our leaders.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, see for yourself:

Dont let the biased, EU funded politicians, 'experts' and media fool you.
    Switzerland is surviving much better without the EU.
    We can do this British people, the proof is here.
    I also believe the UK would do just fine without the EU but I'm still voting in. British people are not sheep, they know this already

ReputationRep:
    Leave campaigners often cite Norway’s relationship with the EU as the model for Britain to emulate. Norway has access to the majority of the continent’s market and is part of the European Economic Area (EEA) agreement.

But in return Norway is obliged to be part of Europe’s passport-free Schengen travel zone. Norwegians also have no say in EU rules and have no representatives in any of the bloc’s institutions despite paying a considerable amount each year for its semi-detached relationship with the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Define culturally rich. What impact does this have on our ability to survive outside the EU?
    "culturally enriched" :giggle:

(Original post by Duncan2012)
    You're talking nonsense. What does being 'culturally rich' have to do with anything?
    It doesn't; she likes pulling her agenda out of her ass.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.