Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elivercury)
    You said a decent gaming PC, I listed decent parts, going less than them and you won't have a decent PC. I didn't exactly go straight to a 1080/980TI. Or were you suggesting a graphics card is not necessary?

If you don't own a TV , I'd suggest you invest in one of those over a gaming PC tbh. You'll likely get more use out of it. The £10 saving per game will take rather a long time to pay off a gaming PC vs a console.

I mean you CAN get a keyboard/mouse from a charity shop for £1.... but it seems a bit pointless to play a £450+ piece of kit with a £1 control method. I mean it's kinda like buying an expensive drum kit and using sticks you found in your back garden to play them. Personally I advise getting a nice mechanical keyboard and whatever mouse suits your ergonomics.
    You listed a 970, an SSD (in addition to an HDD!) and £70 of RAM so presumably 16GB, you were going a bit overkill for a decent gaming PC, and I personally consider decent being something that plays ultra/max settings at 1920x1080 with no slowdown!

Mentioning games, I'd say console games are cheaper than PC games if you're not a hoarder. You can buy any console game old or brand new, play it, sell it, and sometimes you end up making money! PC games are cheaper usually but if you're a seller, net cost is much worse. Plus you gotta have patience for the price to go down.

Keyboards and mice are overanalysed by a fanatic minority. You press keys and move a mouse. As long as it's not a wheel mouse, the average person will be fine. Get something for £3 from Argos, you'll be set for 20 years haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neverdie)
    You listed a 970, an SSD (in addition to an HDD!) and £70 of RAM so presumably 16GB, you were going a bit overkill for a decent gaming PC, and I personally consider decent being something that plays ultra/max settings at 1920x1080 with no slowdown!

Mentioning games, I'd say console games are cheaper than PC games if you're not a hoarder. You can buy any console game old or brand new, play it, sell it, and sometimes you end up making money! PC games are cheaper usually but if you're a seller, net cost is much worse. Plus you gotta have patience for the price to go down.

Keyboards and mice are overanalysed by a fanatic minority. You press keys and move a mouse. As long as it's not a wheel mouse, the average person will be fine. Get something for £3 from Argos, you'll be set for 20 years haha.
    I suggest you read again. I did the maths and you had £70 left for RAM, HDD/SSD, Case, OS and Motherboard. ALL OF THAT, not just RAM. I'm not sure you'd even manage to get RAM while paying for all of that. Why bother building a PC if you just want to play games at low settings with stuttering? Buy a console, it'll be cheaper and do a better job.

So, games are cheaper on consoles because you resell, but you feel this should make PC gaming cheaper...?

I would suggest you've not used an especially decent keyboard/mouse. They're worth every penny in my opinion. I mean you'll throw £30-40 on a game you'll play for 20-40 hours, but you won't throw more than £3 on what you'll be using for 20 years? Also, unless it's a mechanical keyboard, it's likely to last 20 years with any decent amount of use.

I do accept of course that a cheap mouse/keyboard are perfectly fine as interim options after you've just built your PC as they are expensive, but I'd advise upgrading. Incidentally monitors are not nearly so cheap, even poor ones.

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you read again. I did the maths and you had £70 left for RAM, HDD/SSD, Case, OS and Motherboard. ALL OF THAT, not just RAM. I'm not sure you'd even manage to get RAM while paying for all of that. Why bother building a PC if you just want to play games at low settings with stuttering? Buy a console, it'll be cheaper and do a better job.

So, games are cheaper on consoles because you resell, but you feel this should make PC gaming cheaper...?

I would suggest you've not used an especially decent keyboard/mouse. They're worth every penny in my opinion. I mean you'll throw £30-40 on a game you'll play for 20-40 hours, but you won't throw more than £3 on what you'll be using for 20 years? Also, unless it's a mechanical keyboard, it's likely to last 20 years with any decent amount of use.

I do accept of course that a cheap mouse/keyboard are perfectly fine as interim options after you've just built your PC as they are expensive, but I'd advise upgrading. Incidentally monitors are not nearly so cheap, even poor ones.
    I say buy whatever has the games you want. Certainly wouldn't recommend building a PC to someone completely new to it. Beyond that, whether it's £300 on a console or £450 building a PC, don't think the money difference really matters, although generally games on PC (and with that hardware) look a bit nicer and (if it's a proper port) plays smoothly.

"So, games are cheaper on consoles because you resell, but you feel this should make PC gaming cheaper...?" - Eh?

The best controllers, keyboards, mice that you can use are ones that you forget you're using. Can certainly get that with any old mouse and keyboard.

As with anything else, value is out there, would definitely recommend pre-owned monitors as you'll get far better a product for far cheaper. Well, I recommend pre-owned nearly everything really! My 42" plasma was £130 I think. I suppose we should think about birthdays and christmas, that's usually a good time for free or discounted monitors.

ReputationRep:
    I say buy whatever has the games you want. Certainly wouldn't recommend building a PC to someone completely new to it. Beyond that, whether it's £300 on a console or £450 building a PC, don't think the money difference really matters, although generally games on PC (and with that hardware) look a bit nicer and (if it's a proper port) plays smoothly.

"So, games are cheaper on consoles because you resell, but you feel this should make PC gaming cheaper...?" - Eh?

The best controllers, keyboards, mice that you can use are ones that you forget you're using. Can certainly get that with any old mouse and keyboard.

As with anything else, value is out there, would definitely recommend pre-owned monitors as you'll get far better a product for far cheaper. Well, I recommend pre-owned nearly everything really! My 42" plasma was £130 I think. I suppose we should think about birthdays and christmas, that's usually a good time for free or discounted monitors.
    Except your £450 PC probably isn't going to outperform a console, making it fairly moot. You're also being pretty pessimistic about console deals, given you apparently got one for £200. If you're going to make a gaming PC I'd advise committing to it and making a decent one, as it'll cost far more to regularly upgrade it.

You're the one who stated that PC games are cheaper then flip flopped saying console gaming is cheaper provided you trade in. You're contradicting yourself somewhat.

If you enjoy cheap peripherals then you go nuts. Personally I have found my quality peripherals infinitely comfier than the cheap stuff I was using before. I am willing to bet you would agree if you didn't see the price as a barrier.

Personally I never bother with preowned as you can often get new items for much the same price in my experience. Not to mention missing out on technological advantages and getting a decent warranty.

ReputationRep:
    Except your £450 PC probably isn't going to outperform a console, making it fairly moot. You're also being pretty pessimistic about console deals, given you apparently got one for £200. If you're going to make a gaming PC I'd advise committing to it and making a decent one, as it'll cost far more to regularly upgrade it.

You're the one who stated that PC games are cheaper then flip flopped saying console gaming is cheaper provided you trade in. You're contradicting yourself somewhat.

If you enjoy cheap peripherals then you go nuts. Personally I have found my quality peripherals infinitely comfier than the cheap stuff I was using before. I am willing to bet you would agree if you didn't see the price as a barrier.

Personally I never bother with preowned as you can often get new items for much the same price in my experience. Not to mention missing out on technological advantages and getting a decent warranty.
    Compared to good PCs, consoles don't compare favourably, certainly my PC outperforms them. As I said, ultra settings at 1920x1080 without playing like a tortoise, can't ask for much more, certainly beats console! Why do you say "apparently"? Didn't I say I got it for £200? :s

I never flipflopped. PC games are cheaper than console games, but if you sell games than console games will be net cheaper. Would never say trade in.

Price is not a barrier for me, just most people do fine with any old keyboard and mouse and I've had no issues with either.

Unless money is no object, you should definitely look around a little for value. If you couldn't find something cheaper preowned then you could new, that's really bad! If you're buying from a person rather than a store, there's no warranty unless they give you theirs, but chances are very high you'll be fine. Don't buy anywhere shady. You don't miss out on "technological advantages", whatever that's supposed to be, buying something previously owned.

ReputationRep:
    Compared to good PCs, consoles don't compare favourably, certainly my PC outperforms them. As I said, ultra settings at 1920x1080 without playing like a tortoise, can't ask for much more, certainly beats console! Why do you say "apparently"? Didn't I say I got it for £200? :s

I never flipflopped. PC games are cheaper than console games, but if you sell games than console games will be net cheaper. Would never say trade in.

Price is not a barrier for me, just most people do fine with any old keyboard and mouse and I've had no issues with either.

Unless money is no object, you should definitely look around a little for value. If you couldn't find something cheaper preowned then you could new, that's really bad! If you're buying from a person rather than a store, there's no warranty unless they give you theirs, but chances are very high you'll be fine. Don't buy anywhere shady. You don't miss out on "technological advantages", whatever that's supposed to be, buying something previously owned.
    If you got it for £200, why are you citing £300? I'm still sceptical over a PC for £450 playing modern games at ultra with 60fps, but I'll take your word for it.

You're not going to sway me on pre-owned stuff. I look around for value and I find the value by getting a new deal for the price most people are selling preowned. If you want to take a gamble on not having a warranty then that is your decision. My TV has a 5 year warranty and there are very reasonable odds that a preowned TV won't last 5 years. Not to mention pre-owned stuff is usually (but not always) older stuff, so it might have inferior technology. Personally saving £10 is not worth it when spending £100's if I lose my safety net.

ReputationRep:
    If you got it for £200, why are you citing £300? I'm still sceptical over a PC for £450 playing modern games at ultra with 60fps, but I'll take your word for it.

You're not going to sway me on pre-owned stuff. I look around for value and I find the value by getting a new deal for the price most people are selling preowned. If you want to take a gamble on not having a warranty then that is your decision. My TV has a 5 year warranty and there are very reasonable odds that a preowned TV won't last 5 years. Not to mention pre-owned stuff is usually (but not always) older stuff, so it might have inferior technology. Personally saving £10 is not worth it when spending £100's if I lose my safety net.
    Because I got a good deal on the PS4, I was going more by what you would probably value it at. Don't know why you're sceptical. You think I'm just randomly saying it and making it all up? For what end and for whose benefit? :/

I'm not trying to sway you on anything. I think most of what I said on the subject was factual, that's all. Pre-owned TVs last as long as a new TV really, I suppose theoretically minus a few years, and that's if the TV ever dies. I've had new TVs that have failed in a couple of years, but pre-owned ones that won't die. That's the thing, when buying value, I don't just mean buying cheap, but buying quality. It's no good buying something crap for less.

£10 isn't worth it, but given your scepticism it sounds like £450 for a top end PC is!

The belief that pre-owned automatically means failure isn't borne in reality and I've only ever seen it said out of fear by people who thus don't buy pre-owned because of it, not from experience. You can then use those hundreds saved to buy other things, even if it's a keyboard.

ReputationRep:
    Because I got a good deal on the PS4, I was going more by what you would probably value it at. Don't know why you're sceptical. You think I'm just randomly saying it and making it all up? For what end and for whose benefit? :/

I'm not trying to sway you on anything. I think most of what I said on the subject was factual, that's all. Pre-owned TVs last as long as a new TV really, I suppose theoretically minus a few years, and that's if the TV ever dies. I've had new TVs that have failed in a couple of years, but pre-owned ones that won't die. That's the thing, when buying value, I don't just mean buying cheap, but buying quality. It's no good buying something crap for less.

£10 isn't worth it, but given your scepticism it sounds like £450 for a top end PC is!

The belief that pre-owned automatically means failure isn't borne in reality and I've only ever seen it said out of fear by people who thus don't buy pre-owned because of it, not from experience. You can then use those hundreds saved to buy other things, even if it's a keyboard.
    I just can't see how it's possible to build anything I would consider a decent PC with that budget. But I suspect it ultimately just comes down to my standards, which while not at the ridiculous "you don't have £1500 of graphics cards in SLI? noob" level, are still pretty high.

I've bought pre-owned before when I've managed to get a solid deal that is usually worth the risk. But 9/10 with a bit of searching I can find a similar new deal, providing me the extra insurance.

Anyway, I feel we've beaten the topic to death somewhat, so happy gaming!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Lol at the people telling OP to build a PC when he/she's a beginner. :lol:
    For now you should stick to the PS3; lots of different games you can play on it. I would personally recommend:
    - Catherine
    - Deadpool
    - Life is Strange
    - Portal 2
    - Heavy Rain.
    If you like this, then you might want to later on invest in a PS4 which currently costs about £280. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    PS3:
    Telltale games - The walking dead season 1
    The uncharted series
    The last of us
    The mass effect trilogy
    Bioshock and/or Bioshock infinite

PM me for more suggestions or specific types you'd be interested in

ReputationRep:
    Get a PC or forever be doomed to the peasantry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TelAviv)
    Get a PC or forever be doomed to the peasantry
    Can I have an Amen please ?

ReputationRep:
    You'll need to get used to WASD and dual analog movement (simultaenous), so FPS (Firsr-Person-Shooter) games might be a good place to start. Play through the campaigns and try multiplayer when you feel good enough!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Step 1: Play PS3 with the games you have already.

Step 2: Begin to save up for a PS4 or Xbox One(New games coming out now are much more beautiful and run faster on more powerful consoles).

Step 3: Decide which genre of games you love whether being Shooters, Sports, Story Games, etc.

Step 4: Decide if you want to transition into the PC world if you haven't already.(More games, more powerful machines, a lot of things you can do).

Optional - Step 5: Begin to get a job to do with computers. If you really love games, then just buy a god damn laptop or computer. Learn to code, develop small games on your own and just upload them to game sites like ModDB. Then eventually get Steam Greenlight, develop more games and earn money. OR learn to code and find a job to do with web development or app development as they earn big bucks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabere)
    CALLING ALL GAMERS!

For the past 3 months or so I've really been into the whole idea of gaming but never really taken it up because I just don't know where to start.

What are the best game consoles?
    Best gaming youtube channels?
    How much money am I going to have to invest?.. (or my parents)
    Any recommendations??

I currently have found my brother's old PS3 set (haven't used it in yearsss) He has games like Crysis 2, Resistance 2, Fight Night Round 4, Heavy rain, Fifa, Killzone 3 etcc

Should I start playing these and get some good technique and then move on to the better ones... it's just that they're quite old and not that popular anymore - the walkthroughs and gameplays are like from 2013 .

With the summer holidays coming up I've got sooooo much time to get into gaming so, I'd really appreciate some tips please
    Save up and build a decent PC checkout jack frags pc build on his channel decent

ReputationRep:
    PC + Steam = Best gaming.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.