Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pride in London - 2016 - All you need to know! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    First of all I'm really proud of you for just biting the bullet and going despite being in the closet! Take it from me, you won't regret it (providing everything runs as smoothly as usual). When I first went, I was struggling so much with self-acceptance and it completely lifted me up. The event is beautiful.

I really hope you enjoy it and I'm glad the information has helped and that you're excited. Don't worry too much about the camera thing - it's unlikely unless you're in the parade.
    Thank you so much for this message. I honestly appreciate it, as I've been worrying about coming out for years now (still don't know if I'm bi or lesbian) I'm glad you enjoyed the parade. This really cheered me up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YaYazooGirl)
    Thank you so much for this message. I honestly appreciate it, as I've been worrying about coming out for years now (still don't know if I'm bi or lesbian) I'm glad you enjoyed the parade. This really cheered me up
    No worries, I hope you enjoy it. If you need a chat about anything, feel free to drop me a PM.

Best wishes to you :jumphug:

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but where did I comment on any of those issues? We have made huge strides. Just because we're not 100% there yet doesn't mean there is nothing to celebrate; if we constantly cry and get angry and push, nobody will receive us. There has to be an approach that is balanced and saying there is nothing to celebrate is quite frankly, a complete discredit to those who have died for your right to be who you are, and devoted their lives to fighting for the rights we now have. We're the next generation of fighters and yes, there are issues that need significant attention and Pride aims to highlight a lot of those, but it also aims to celebrate, and that too is merited.
    I'm not interested in all this 'be nice to the cis hets so they stop killing us' *******s. You are saying the same things that we ALWAYS hear from cis gay white men. 'Don't get angry', 'we'll get to your rights afterwards'... Because you're scared that after less 'acceptable' parts of the community have fought for your rights and you're now feeling accepted that you'll lose that if we keep fighting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    I'm not interested in all this 'be nice to the cis hets so they stop killing us' *******s. You are saying the same things that we ALWAYS hear from cis gay white men. 'Don't get angry', 'we'll get to your rights afterwards'... Because you're scared that after less 'acceptable' parts of the community have fought for your rights and you're now feeling accepted that you'll lose that if we keep fighting.
    What is actually wrong with you? All of this "cis hets" and "cis gay white men" malarky is a load of tosh. I don't think Trans people or people of other genders and so on are less 'acceptable' - what on earth are you trying to pin against me? You're being completely intolerant and militant, which is what nobody needs. It isn't about getting to people's rights afterwards, either. This is the real world and you need to wake up to the fact that progress takes time. We had to wait and we had to wait centuries. We're fighting for your rights, and our own, daily. It takes time to change a generations opinions on things and you can't just storm in and get angry and shove it down everybody's necks like they owe you something - none of us can - or we all get nothing from the years of fighting.

And I completely resent the fact you are categorising me based on my race, sexuality and gender - you're behaving in a manner consistent with how anti-LGBTQIA people respond.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, please keep safe when you go. After recent events it's worrying having loads of targeted people in one place at once. :c

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    Guys, please keep safe when you go. After recent events it's worrying having loads of targeted people in one place at once. :c
    Totally

ReputationRep:
    Totally
    Okie dokie

ReputationRep:
    What about you guys?
    Thanks for tagging me in.

I'm probably not going, and here's the reasons why.

I don't know anyone else who is going, and by all accounts Pride is a social affair.

Second, I'm not out as bisexual to very many people, though coming out isn't too terrifying a prospect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    Thanks for tagging me in.

I'm probably not going, and here's the reasons why.

I don't know anyone else who is going, and by all accounts Pride is a social affair.

Second, I'm not out as bisexual to very many people, though coming out isn't too terrifying a prospect.
    Ah, that's a shame. Hopefully you can go to another one in the coming years.

It's quite odd that so few TSRians seem to be going! I thought more would be. Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    TheLondonPrideParade, 2016.
    Okay, so, this month is Pride month. Pride month is a time when the LGBTQIA+ community and its supporters - straight allies; the law; the military; small businesses; corporate companies; and so on - come together in solidarity to show their support and celebrate.

I thought it'd be a good idea to make this thread for those who are thinking of going or those who are going and would like a little more information about what Pride is, why it's important, what events are going on, and how you can get involved.

Warnings and Safety at Pride 2016

Firstly, I'd just like to make you all aware that Pride parades do sometimes involve things which some people may find uncomfortable. However, drag artists, nudists, or people in fetish-related attire are not in abundance at the event and this is not a reason not to attend. Drag and the like are an important part of LGBTQIA+ identity for a range of reasons and it is completely fine to find some things uncomfortable but it is not as prominent as the media portrays it to be at the parades!

Obviously this is a time where everybody is being very cautious. After the Orlando Shootings, British Intelligence and law enforcement are working tirelessly to ensure Pride runs smoothly and safely.

However, Pride attracts around a million spectators and participants from around the world and is the largest Pride Parade in Europe. As such, participants are reminded to be extremely vigilant and careful.

It is not uncommon for there to be issues among protestors and participants but police and law enforcement services will be patrolling the events as best as they can. However, you must remember that this is an event of great proportions. There are simply too many people for anything to be guaranteed.

However, this should not stop you from having a fun time! Pride is an amazingly happy and loving place to be, and these risks are always going to be there, whatever the year. It's just that this year has carried some particularly risky occurrences and tragedies, and so advice on being extra-careful is being handed out to the general public. This is not to scare you, its to make your day as comfortable and as enjoyable as ever.

The following two news articles will just clarify what's going on:In order to ensure your safety and the safety of the people you are attending with, it is recommended that you do the following things:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    1. Ensure your phone is fully charged before you get to the event and that you have the numbers of those you're enjoying the day with.
    2. Arrange a meeting point with your friends beforehand, in case you get split up along the way. The crowds are very big and the streets are packed with spectators.
    3. The event in itself is fenced, so that spectators cannot join in with the parade. You must ensure that you respect this because otherwise, you will more than likely be prosecuted, arrested or thrown out. You could also harm participants when trying to get into the parade. Avoid trying to intervene.
    4. If you say anything suspicious, it is better that you report it to somebody just because the event is so huge, it is impossible to patrol everything and your warning could save lives. Even if you're wrong, that will be left to the law enforcement to decide. If the person has nothing to hide, then they will not encounter any problems and will be allowed to go about their business. It's better to be safe than sorry.
    5. Tell a parent, family member or a friend that isn't attending the parade, where you'll be. If something goes wrong, the only people who know you and can help you, will need to know where you are in order to do so, and know that you're safe.
    6. Do not rely on your mobile phone. The huge crowds jam the network service and you should fix times and points of meeting with anybody you attend with or intend on meeting up with after the parade.
    7. As a celebratory event, many people drink alcohol and smoke at Pride. However, do not do anything you are uncomfortable with. Drinking alcohol to excess in such a hectic environment probably won't be to your benefit. People will want to get past you and get moving through the crowds and will have little sympathy for you if you are stumbling around.
    8. Cashpoints run out of money very quickly. Ensure you bring cash with you and keep it on your person at all times, in a place where you can ensure it'll be safe. This is crucial incase you need to get away from the event quickly by taxi or train, for whatever reason.
    9. If you are worried about appearing in the media or about being in big crowds for whatever reason, perhaps because your family don't know you're gay and are not accepting, or because you have serious anxiety, then you may wish to reconsider attending. The parade is covered by national and international newspapers. It is unlikely you will be photographed but it depends on whether or not you're simply participating or actually in the parade itself. Think about this carefully.
    10. If you are an older participant, you should be mindful of the younger, teenage, participants. Inappropriate behaviour can be detrimental to those around you. Also, there will be all kinds of people at the event, and some may take extreme offence to any acts they deem inappropriate. It's a free world, but with so many people around you, you cannot take it for granted that everybody will be happy with your conduct.

What is Pride and why is it important?

Pride is an event that strikes at the hearts of many members of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans+ community. The birthplace of Pride is argued to be the Stonewall Inn in New York City, which was central to the the Stonewall Riots of the mid-to-late 1960s.

This event was the only thing to give the gay community a voice. In the modern world, particularly in the West, people are too quick to assume the needs of the LGBTQIA+ community have been unequivocally met. There's still much to do, on an international level and with regards to social attitudes. Pride offers the community a chance to campaign peacefully and create an atmosphere where gays and lesbians, and people of other genders and sexualities, can love, be loved, smile, and let go for a day.

As somebody who had never attended the event until last year, I believed it was a provocative, explicit, crude event because of its coverage by the media. Attending it opened my eyes to how wrong this interpretation is. Pride was the only time I felt as though nobody was watching me and judging me for holding a guy's hand. It was a time where straight people showed their support for us and we all came together. Christian groups, Islamic groups, Hindu groups, Buddhists, people of different political affiliations, everybody came together for the love and happiness.

Even those who protested the event did so peacefully and with respect to those attending. I personally only saw one protest group and they stayed out of the way, protested quietly and peacefully, and it did not ruin the atmosphere of the day.

The event is a celebration of our identity as a community, of the fact that we have made great strides, and is a chance to thank the world in which we live for everything we've accomplished. It is not a chance to be gross and perverse. It's an opportunity to raise awareness of issues dear to us - such as HIV and AIDs research, marriage equality, discrimination in the workplace, and homophobic bullying and hate crimes.

I strongly recommend people to attend the event before they determine how they feel about it. It's simply magnificent. It's bright, colourful, happy and full of love and peace.

What can I do?

This is an event where anything has worth. Even just your presence adds one more voice to the fight and for that, we're all so grateful.

You can purchase rainbow flags whilst there and the best thing for you all to do, really, is just enjoy it. It's supposed to be light and happy. It's probably too late now to try and be in the parade but Stonewall does have a waitlist if you wish to try and gain a place to march in the Parade:

http://www.stonewall.org.uk/pride-2016/london

Where and When is Pride?

The Pride Parade is supposed to run from 1pm until around 4pm. However, it is advised that you get there between 12 and 1pm, and prepare for the fact that the parade could go on for longer than planned. It finishes when it finishes!

The event is free, family friendly, and under 18s are welcome to attend. There are accessible bathrooms, and the event is fully accessible and assistance dog's are permitted. Whilst there, you should know that there are gender neutral lavatories, alcohol, crowds, flashing lights, and loud noises.

Travel by Bus:

The parade will affect the following bus routes:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 19, 22, 23, 24, 25, 29, 30, 38, 53, 55, 73, 74, 82, 87, 88, 91, 94, 98, 113, 137, 139, 159, 176, 189,274, 390, 453 and C2.
    Travel by Train:

In order to access the Parade, travelling by train is largely the best option. I would recommend you take the Underground to Baker Street. Once at Baker Street, you'll notice huge crowds of people and you can more or less work out where to go by following them.

The nearest stations to the Parade route are said to be Oxford Circus, Piccadilly Circus and Charing Cross. However, it is recommended that you avoid Bond Street, Oxford Circus and Piccadilly Circus because they get incredibly busy but you can use Tottenham Court Road, Leicester Square or charing Cross if you wish to access Soho or Trafalgar Square.

I recommend you download the Tube Map app from the App Store before you leave for the Parade.

Travel by Car/Taxi:

It is not recommended that you use this method of getting to the parade. the streets where the Parade operates will be completely closed. You can drive to somewhere else, find a place to park, then use public transport to access the Parade.

Travel by Walking:

The Parade route is about two miles long. You can follow the Parade by walking but this will take a considerable amount of time given the Parade crowds.

Travel by Plane:

Express services from Heathrow, Gatwick, Stagnated and Luton can give participants direct access to London. Heathrow Airport is the easiest way to access the general area as it is on the Piccadilly Line of the Underground Service. Furthermore, City Airport has a Docklands Light Railway station connecting it to the Underground as well as National Rail. This could also work.

Pride Events

Pride is a festival that begins on June 10th and runs until June 26th. Across this time, there are many different events taking place. See the following link for more details:
    http://prideinlondon.org/plan-your-pride/pride-festival

After the main Parade, there is a lot of entertainment going on in Trafalgar Square. Sadiq Khan will also be giving a speech here.

Stonewall and Pride in London's Themes for 2016

- Stonewall's theme this year is #ByYourSide. This is about uniting in solidarity on an international level, to show that we will not stand for intolerance, as prompted by the Orlando Shootings.

- Pride in London's theme this year is #NoFilter. It's aimed at showing that no matter what you look like, who you love, and who you are, you can love and be loved. It's a mark of solidarity, again, for the diversity of our community.

Images from Pride in London, 2015

Supporters of Pride 2016

I live in Wales atm so it's really far away plus I think I'd feel really nervous there, considering what happened in Orlando recently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    I live in Wales atm so it's really far away plus I think I'd feel really nervous there, considering what happened in Orlando recently.
    Fair shout - hopefully you can attend another at some point

ReputationRep:
    Ah, that's a shame. Hopefully you can go to another one in the coming years.

It's quite odd that so few TSRians seem to be going! I thought more would be. Oh well.
    I'm sure it would be different if I knew people going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    I'm sure it would be different if I knew people going.
    Fair enough .

I mean, tonnes of people are going, just not the few who've responded on here I suppose!

ReputationRep:
    Fair shout - hopefully you can attend another at some point
    Yeah, I'd love to!

ReputationRep:
    What about you guys?
    Lol don't want to conjure up a fake excuse. But for a few reasons I just can't go, sorry.

Have fun though mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    Lol don't want to conjure up a fake excuse. But for a few reasons I just can't go, sorry.

Have fun though mate.
    Ah - that's a shame. No pressure to say what those reasons are.

ReputationRep:
    What about you guys?
    Thanks a lot for tagging and inviting me to the event dear Ivybridge !Much appreciated !It would be very nice to go and attend and to experience this .. but I am afraid I am not sure I will be able to take part and might be unavailable. Sorry.Nevertheless, many thanks for letting us all know, anyway !I hope many other people will be able to attend instead of me.Good luck !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vlad83)
    Thanks a lot for tagging and inviting me to the event dear Ivybridge !Much appreciated !It would be very nice to go and attend and to experience this .. but I am afraid I am not sure I will be able to take part and might be unavailable. Sorry.Nevertheless, many thanks for letting us all know, anyway !I hope many other people will be able to attend instead of me.Good luck !
    Ah, shame.

I'm seriously so surprised to see so few people from TSR are attending... I mean, I suppose it's to be expected given Orlando.

Anyway, hopefully you can go another year.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, shame.

I'm seriously so surprised to see so few people from TSR are attending... I mean, I suppose it's to be expected given Orlando.

Anyway, hopefully you can go another year.
    Maybe !..
    Thanks Ivybridge !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    So when's straight pride month?
    Always.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.