Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is your least favorite political correctness trend? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Change the later to cultural misappropriation and you have my vote pet :yy: (not all cultural appropriation is a bad thing/bid deal)

Seeing women with flat asses twerk, is a bad thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Change the later to cultural misappropriation and you have my vote pet :yy: (not all cultural appropriation is a bad thing/bid deal)
    Most of it is exploitative :borat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    Seeing women with flat asses twerk, is a bad thing
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:

Bond Girls are frowned upon

:emo:

ReputationRep:
    As already posted 100% safe spaces, there are always proposals to create safe spaces at uni's and thank god the common sense usually prevails. If you can't make it through the day without needing a "safe space" maybe society isn't the problem...

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

Normie's reaction doe

ReputationRep:
    Brexiters who are constantly telling us how we have to leave to save the NHS and because women's rights are at risk due to immigrants coming over groping them, Farage and his mates have obviously been spending too much time reading the Guardian.

What happened to privatising healthcare and the good old days when you could slap a bird's ass and not have the ukipfeminazi police after you, that was the UKIP that I remember not the beta leftist version it has become.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Brexiters who are constantly telling us how we have to leave to save the NHS and because women's rights are at risk due to immigrants coming over groping them, Farage and his mates have obviously been spending too much time reading the Guardian.

What happened to privatising healthcare and the good old days when you could slap a bird's ass and not have the ukipfeminazi police after you, that was the UKIP that I remember not the beta leftist version it has become.
    The important thing is that whoever comes out trumps in the end, Europe will end up a reactionary far-right hellhole

(Original post by Daddy Longlegz)
    The important thing is that whoever comes out trumps in the end, Europe will end up a reactionary far-right hellhole
    Its not as if everyone will become far right - you are forgetting that the far left are also gaining ground, although this is given less attention

Mainland Europe might become a battleground between the far left and Islamists, and the far right - but the UK is pretty insulated from it all tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    But in the west, the struggle is not comparable
    Not comparable, but the struggle is still there.

There will never be true equality for everyone, that is the sad truth. However, there is no harm in trying for it. Equality being the same, not any privilege or such.

ReputationRep:
    White people being demonized.
    Feminism.
    The strain being put on freedom of speech by "liberals."
    That whenever you disagree with a leftist you're instantly an islamophobe/mysogenist/racist/homophobe/etc.
    All these made up sexualities. You're either straight, gay, bi or ace. Those are the only ones recognised by the academic community and the only ones that exist. Being trans or having certain preferences has nothing to do with sexuality.

EDIT: I forgot these:

Islamism.
    The whole religious right.
    SJWs.
    Russophobes.
    Safe spaces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Its not as if everyone will become far right - you are forgetting that the far left are also gaining ground, although this is given less attention

Mainland Europe might become a battleground between the far left and Islamists, and the far right - but the UK is pretty insulated from it all tbh
    The progressive left is the establishment and any rise in the so called far left is simply a stronger vein of this. Not everyone, but they will continue to grow in strength the types of people who will support them will also widen, from alientated white working class people in unstable employment, to very normal people. I read about the house prices in Calais crashing, this is exactly the sort of thing which inflames the wrath of middle class people.

E.g. The dozens upon dozens of labels for sexual orientations (genderqueer, demisexual, pansexual...ect), or medical professionals having to tread on eggshells around obesity, or cultural appropriation

--

Please keep it respectful and stuff

Obviously please do not make any negative posts about Islam
    All of it. Political correctness is the cowards' means to avoid the truth.

(Original post by Tootles)
    All of it. Political correctness is the cowards' means to avoid the truth.
    What do you mean? The biggest impact of political correctness on society is the self-censoring of speech that the speaker assumes may be offensive. Perhaps it is the speakers who are cowards?

ReputationRep:
    People who scream and accuse others of pushing "political correctness" whenever their regressive / racist / sexist views are being challenged.

Yeah PC is a problem, It is important that the Islamic faith can be criticised, safe spaces suck, the regressive left are annoying, etc but some people really do need their BS called out sometimes. Some accuse others of being too PC as a way of escaping valid criticism.

What do you mean? The biggest impact of political correctness on society is the self-censoring of speech that the speaker assumes may be offensive. Perhaps it is the speakers who are cowards?
    I mean the reason for the speaker assuming what they are thinking would be offensive because of the social conditioning. Take race, for example - no term referring to negroes remains socially acceptable for longer than a generation or so, and why's that? Because it's politically incorrect to draw attention to or outwardly acknowledge a difference in race. I can give you two examples of the kind of effect that mentality has:
    1. I have a friend of Jamaican ancestry. He is proud of that, and specifically of being descended from survivers of slavery. He calls himself a ******, because that is what he is - more to the point, he is offended when people avoid using the term.
    2. I am a fantasy author, and in my first novel I described a black character as being a negro. Not because I wanted to cause offence, but because the mental image I had of the character could only be described as being negroid or a negro. Some time after I released it, someone who had read it contacted me (we later became friends) and warned that people could get offended by my using that word, because it is a "racial slur" - even though where I live it just means "black person of African ancestry."
    So, political correctness as a goal seeks to occlude the truth by making references to it evoke feelings of guilt or disgust. If I call a negro a negro, I'm a racist. If I call a fat person fat I'm being uncaring toward their self-esteem. And in some cases if I call a gay person gay I'm being intolerant of other people's sexuality (note: one of my gay friends glories in descibing himself as "a massive ******").

Which leads me to this alternative to politically correct speech, which I live by day-to-day: that if something is true, it should never be taken as an insult; conversely if it is a lie it is irrelevant, and should be treated accordingly.

ReputationRep:
    What are the predictions for crime

(Original post by Tootles)
    I mean the reason for the speaker assuming what they are thinking would be offensive because of the social conditioning. Take race, for example - no term referring to negroes remains socially acceptable for longer than a generation or so, and why's that? Because it's politically incorrect to draw attention to or outwardly acknowledge a difference in race. I can give you two examples of the kind of effect that mentality has:
    1. I have a friend of Jamaican ancestry. He is proud of that, and specifically of being descended from survivers of slavery. He calls himself a ******, because that is what he is - more to the point, he is offended when people avoid using the term.
    2. I am a fantasy author, and in my first novel I described a black character as being a negro. Not because I wanted to cause offence, but because the mental image I had of the character could only be described as being negroid or a negro. Some time after I released it, someone who had read it contacted me (we later became friends) and warned that people could get offended by my using that word, because it is a "racial slur" - even though where I live it just means "black person of African ancestry."
    So, political correctness as a goal seeks to occlude the truth by making references to it evoke feelings of guilt or disgust. If I call a negro a negro, I'm a racist. If I call a fat person fat I'm being uncaring toward their self-esteem. And in some cases if I call a gay person gay I'm being intolerant of other people's sexuality (note: one of my gay friends glories in descibing himself as "a massive ******".

Which leads me to this alternative to politically correct speech, which I live by day-to-day: that if something is true, it should never be taken as an insult; conversely if it is a lie it is irrelevant, and should be treated accordingly.
    I agree. Do you think Political Correctness is self-sustaining yet? Each generation is more PC than the last, and therefore the social conditioning is increasing

ReputationRep:
    I don't know whether this might be considered a PC trend but the "free the nipple" thing really freaking annoys me. People pretending like not being able to plaster their nipples on social media is "extremely oppressive" and "misogynistic" and "curtailing their rights" is just ugh.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.