The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5B (Medical Physics) - 28th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by CourtlyCanter
For the first question I just said There must be a one-cell separation between two cells on the retina that are each signalling an impulse.

For the same object further away question, I just said The muscles(didn't say ciliary because I forgot what the word was...) contracts which causes the lens to curve less and thus becomes less converging. This process is known as accommodation.

For the same object in dim light I just said The iris muscles cause a change in the amount of light into the pupil which acts as an aperture. The circular muscles relax and the radial muscles contract which enlarges the pupil. A greater area of the pupil means more light reflecting off the object goes I ye.

I wrote the answer in continous prose and it was similar. They were two marks each so i assume one mark for each condition. For first one i just said spatial resolution, one unstimulated cell between two stimulated ones. Had to leave that out and do at end because it took a while to work out what they were asking.
@CourtlyCanter @dnan

For the power question on the ear... did you multiply the intensity worked out in the previous section by 4pi(500)^2 or whatever the distance was? I done this because it gave me units of Watts
Reply 42
Original post by particlestudent
@CourtlyCanter @dnan

For the power question on the ear... did you multiply the intensity worked out in the previous section by 4pi(500)^2 or whatever the distance was? I done this because it gave me units of Watts

I did something x400^2. Think it was answer from previous question. 400 being distance
Unofficial ms :

Qs1
One unstimulatd cell btw two stimulated cells.
Cones as only cones at fovea
Dont know how to do the calculation only two marks.
Ciliary muscles relax, suspensory ligaments taut, thinner lens/less power/more focal length, less refraction of light
Pupil dialates, circular muscles relax/radial muscles contract, more light enters eye, rods stimulated cones not.

Qs 2
Why was there variations in dBA scale for diff freq~ not sure just wrote it mimics the ear response , ear less sensitive at high and low frequencies.
Age related hearing loss increases as freq increases
Noise induced hearing loss increases till 4000 where it is maximum after that becomes normal
Using formula of 92=10log (I/1*10^-12)
Power = answer above*4(pi)(400^2

Qs3 i think this was the six marker
A- evacuate glass tube for removal of air molcules that would other wise collide with electrons and slow them
B - heated filement for thermonic emission
C- anode for accelerating electrons, pd btw anode and filament, at anode electons slowed down , lose KE by releasing x ray photons called bremstrahlung radiation, could talk about rotating and bevelled nature of anode, chaacteristic photon energies due to ionisation of atoms in anode.
Lead shield- attenuate/ stop x ray photons that escape tube and enter living tissue.
( I may have got A,B,C the wrong way round as i cant remeber them)

Qs4
Half value thickness is the thickness of a material that will reduce the intensity of specific energy x ray photons to half its original value.
Proof by ln2/ 15
Something like 57% by finding E=50e^-0.046*12 what ever you ge divid by 50 and times by hundred
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Maliha01
Unofficial ms :

Qs1
One unstimulatd cell btw two stimulated cells.
Cones as only cones at fovea
Dont know how to do the calculation only two marks.
Ciliary muscles relax, suspensory ligaments taut, thinner lens/less power/more focal length, less refraction of light
Pupil dialates, circular muscles relax/radial muscles contract, more light enters eye, rods stimulated cones not.

Qs 2
Why was there variations in dBA scale for diff freq~ not sure just wrote it mimics the ear response , ear less sensitive at high and low frequencies.
Age related hearing loss increases as freq increases
Noise induced hearing loss increases till 4000 where it is maximum after that becomes normal
Using formula of 92=10log (I/1*10^-12)
Power = answer above*4(pi)(400^2

A- evacuate glass tube for removal of air molcules that would other wise collide with electrons and slow them
C- anode for accelerating electrons, pd btw anode and filament, at anode electons slowed down , lose KE by releasing x ray photons called bremstrahlung radiation, could talk about rotating and bevelled nature of anode, chaacteristic photon energies due to ionisation of atoms in anode.
Lead shield- attenuate/ stop x ray photons that escape tube and enter living tissue.

Qs4
Half value thickness is the thickness of a material that will reduce the intensity of specific energy x ray photons to half its original value.
Proof by ln2/ 15
Something like 57% by finding E=50e^-0.046*12 what ever you ge divid by 50 and times by hundred

Last question i got 57% by doing I=Ioe^ux with the answer for I over Io x100 is %age answer.
Original post by dnan
Last question i got 57% by doing I=Ioe^ux with the answer for I over Io x100 is %age answer.

That's fine i said E=Eo(e)^-ux as the photon energy was given as 50keV and intensity wasnt given so i adjusted the formula as energy and intensity are proptional
Original post by dnan
I did something x400^2. Think it was answer from previous question. 400 being distance

Yeah, I done the area it is spread out being 4(pi)(r)^2, and then r was 400 then I multiplied it by my intensity in the previous question :smile:
Original post by Maliha01
Unofficial ms :

For this I said, the cathode emits electrons, electrons hit inner electron of the anode atoms, the vacancy is filled by an outer electron moving down an energy level, x ray photon given off. It rotates to stop the focal area from getting too hot and damaging the equipment. I said the lead shield stops x ray photons from escaping and damaging tissue.
I had no idea what A was...

Mostly ok, think I forgot some things as per when it comes to (mostly) written exams. Definitely didn't get that weird eye angle one.
Original post by veldt127
Mostly ok, think I forgot some things as per when it comes to (mostly) written exams. Definitely didn't get that weird eye angle one.

I struggled with the eye ones too. Hopefully it's 53 for an A* like June 12 and 13, this one involved unusual calculations :biggrin:
For the eye, it formed a right angled triangle with an angle of theta mrads (cant remember the angle's value) and adjacent side of length 55mm. You had to find the opposite side in metres, which was equal to (55*10^-3)*tan(theta)
Original post by mcride98
For the eye, it formed a right angled triangle with an angle of theta mrads (cant remember the angle's value) and adjacent side of length 55mm. You had to find the opposite side in metres, which was equal to (55*10^-3)*tan(theta)

I done (55*10^-3)*sin(theta) :s-smilie:

This gave me something *10^-6, and the values in the AQA notes seem to be in micrometres, so I don't know really :s-smilie:
(edited 7 years ago)
I struggled with the eye ones too. Hopefully it's 53 for an A* like June 12 and 13, this one involved unusual calculations :biggrin:

Jeez I hope it's that nice. I don't need an A* but it would be really satisfying :smile:
If anyone gets their hands on this paper, it would be much appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending