Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

EU referendum: nine out of 10 university staff back Remain Watch

• Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by govandpolitics)
    UEA for example is a Marxist trash breeding ground.
    Douglas Carswell (UEA, History 2:1, 1993)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by govandpolitics)
    UEA for example is a Marxist trash breeding ground.
    I like the sound of that, I should have applied there.

ReputationRep:
    University staff have been trapped in an academic bubble and the vast majority have not experienced what it is like to do a manual job for a living. There is no doubt that universities benefit tremendously from Britain being a member of the European Union, however those who work for a university cannot sympathise with those at the bottom of the socioeconomic spectrum and therefore it will make no difference as to whether people will choose to decide on leaving or remaining a member of the EU.

Personally, I want to see Britain remain a member of the EU because I believe in building a cohesive Europe founded off tolerance and mutual respect. However, the failure from the left to appreciate popular talking points like immigration has created disdain between the working classes and progressive politics which has give way to a rise in right-wing currents in Europe and throughout the western world. Idealism without any pragmatic or practical consideration is a very reckless political allegiance for people to adhere to, yet the level of disillusionment among left-wing parties like Labour and the PS (in France) has give way to an exodus of core voters to far-right alternatives like UKIP and the National Front respectively.

If the Remain camp were serious about taking votes away from the Leave campaign, they would be talking about immigration and reiterating the benefits staying a member of the EU would have on working-class people. However, the Remain campaign has been more focused on discussing the economy in general and arguing the economic risks involved in Britain's leaving the EU. Personally, I find it so hypocritical the left have all of a sudden become champions of the single market even though many of them are self-proclaimed anti-capitalists, but nonetheless, the economic argument alone might not be enough considering how poignant an issue immigration is in modern-day Europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    "Nearly 90 per cent of those working in UK higher education will vote Remain in the European Union referendum, while 40 per cent say that they are more likely to leave the country in the event of a Brexit, a Times Higher Education survey suggests."

"40 per cent say that they are more likely to leave the country in the event of a Brexit"

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...ff-back-remain

Not unexpected, but the size of the majority is impressive.

And here's a breakdown:

(Original post by Craig1998)
    But the experts know nothing don't they, we should just constantly ignore them and blindly vote for a leave without considering any of the repercussions.
    Shut up you anti-intellectual idiot.

Which EU law has personally impacted you?
    Freedom of Movement?

Edit #1: The Common Agricultural Policy, a part of the Common External Tariff

The Common External Tariff (a separate point)

The EU cookies on the Internet law.

Need I say more. Leave campaigners will ignore any experts, regardless of where they are from, and will just claim that they are biased.
    The leave camp hasn't "ignored" experts; the leave camp has "disagreed".

(Original post by Davij038)
    A dictatorship in which people willingly join and which we can willingly leave (hence the referendum) and has a high standard of Human Rights which prevents (among others) the rights to free speech, a fair trial, vehemently anti death penalty and anti torture. So not in fact a dictatorship.

You're either incredibly naive, or incredibly disingenuous- regardless you should grow up.
    You fail to understand that even if the country overall voted to "remain", it's still undemocratic because a democracy means the power of the people at any one time. And the constituents of the UK are the current ones and all the ones yet to come.

A good dictatorship is still a dictatorship.

(Original post by doctorwhofan98)
    If your reason for voting Leave is because of democracy (regardless of the social and economic impacts), then I think leaving the EU should be one of your least concerns. We still use First Past the Post, we still have the House of Lords, we still have a monarchy, our Prime Minister isn't elected directly by the people, England lacks a representative assembly... and the list goes on. If the EU is 'undemocratic', then simply the fact that we have a Queen must be so undemocratic that it's off the charts... but I somehow doubt that you're a republican.

And it's worth noting that the EU is imperfect, but it isn't undemocratic. We send elected representatives there, we have vetoes etc. It's way more democratic than most of our political system - and leaving the EU would place a lot more power into the hands of those in the House of Lords, for example, and I don't see how leaving would therefore benefit democracy at all.
    First Past the Post is a problem.

The House of Lords is a revision chamber that can only delay non-finance-based legislation for up to a year.

Royal Assent has the history of a formality; it hasn't not been granted since 1707.

We have MEP representatives that can't initiate legislation.

The European Council, in which we have a representative, isn't that powerful.

The European Commission is a body in which we have no representatives; a commissioner is not a representative, and it's illegal for them to favour a member state.

Pooled sovereignty doesn't work.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    Freedom of Movement?
    Are you Naveed?

ReputationRep:
    A dictatorship in which people willingly join and which we can willingly leave (hence the referendum) and has a high standard of Human Rights which prevents (among others) the rights to free speech, a fair trial, vehemently anti death penalty and anti torture. So not in fact a dictatorship.

You're either incredibly naive, or incredibly disingenuous- regardless you should grow up.
    Free speech is protected so well you can be jailed over jokes.

ReputationRep:
    Are you Naveed?
    I edited it in an attempt to do it before you took it seriously.

Nope.

ReputationRep:
    Shut up you anti-intellectual idiot.

The leave camp hasn't "ignored" experts; the leave camp has "disagreed".
    And the leave camp has not done anything to counter what the experts have said though, it's more or less just ignoring it whilst they go onto issues like 'taking back control'. With immigration in the remain campaign, issues like the agreement for UK border officers to check vehicles leaving France, aswell as our being outside the Schengen area, are valid counters to the problem of immigration.

ReputationRep:
    That's because they'll lose their funding and half of the low ranked unis will close down.

ReputationRep:
    XcitingStuart

What you fail to understand is the concept of sovereignty is not fixed. Case in point-German and Italian unification. The UK would also be a dictatorship

ReputationRep:

And the leave camp has not done anything to counter what the experts have said though, it's more or less just ignoring it whilst they go onto issues like 'taking back control'. With immigration in the remain campaign, issues like the agreement for UK border officers to check vehicles leaving France, aswell as our being outside the Schengen area, are valid counters to the problem of immigration.
    You think checking vehicles is sufficient for people coming in with ill-intentions?

Are you crazy?

XcitingStuart

What you fail to understand is the concept of sovereignty is not fixed. Case in point-German and Italian unification. The UK would also be a dictatorship
    Not everything's perfect; I'm just looking for a better solution.

And again, the process of pooling sovereignty is removing people power.

Of course you can apply that to the rest of the UK, and say "why not break it up further?" But being a part of the EU doesn't help I believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Free speech is protected so well you can be jailed over jokes.
    Examples please.

ReputationRep:
    You think checking vehicles is sufficient for people coming in with ill-intentions?

Are you crazy?
    Are you crazy enough to vote for "solving" immigration but completely destroying our economy at the same time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jee1)
    That's because they'll lose their funding and half of the low ranked unis will close down.
    So Leavers want to increase unemployment, interesting.

ReputationRep:
    jneill

This doesn't affect me personally, but the EU has invoked a ban on selling vaping thingies, because tobacco companies urged them to, because they were losing profit. (I haven't read up on the exact ban or reasoning so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

ReputationRep:
    Examples please.
    I don't think you should say those things but I don't think it should be illegal.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-19869710

ReputationRep:
    Are you crazy enough to vote for "solving" immigration but completely destroying our economy at the same time?
    Are you being silly?

Few people are saying to stop immigration; people who use this argument are saying to control immigration.

Or adopt the Australian-style point system. Then set quotas.

Edit #1: To be fair I'm not familiar with the immigration arguments / reforms, because those aren't the arguments I use to leave the EU.

ReputationRep:
    jneill

This doesn't affect me personally, but the EU has invoked a ban on selling vaping thingies, because tobacco companies urged them to, because they were losing profit. (I haven't read up on the exact ban or reasoning so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)
    First time for everthing.

ReputationRep:
    Are you being silly?

Few people are saying to stop immigration; people who use this argument are saying to control immigration.

Or adopt the Australian-style point system. Then set quotas.
    Typical leaver, ignoring the main point of my comment to focus on a little minor detail.

Don't even bother trying with me, debating with anyone supporting leave is becoming so tedious.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    jneill

http://ec.europa.eu/health/tobacco/d...hbuster_en.pdf

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.