Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

S16 – Departmental Review from the Secretary of State for Defence Watch

ReputationRep:
    Excellent statement from a Government who are committed to making sure this country is secure.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Although I agree with most of it I will be voting Nay on this for one reason that is there was no mention of the Royal Air Force. No commitment to Increasing the aircraft fleet . And the f35b is actually a replacement for the Harrier not the tornado ....If you are going to write a Statement of intent ...at least do it properly . If there is no commitment to the RAF its a Nay from me
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Although I agree with most of it I will be voting Nay on this for one reason that is there was no mention of the Royal Air Force. No commitment to Increasing the aircraft fleet . And the f35b is actually a replacement for the Harrier not the tornado ....If you are going to write a Statement of intent ...at least do it properly . If there is no commitment to the RAF its a Nay from me
    Where was it said that it's replacing the tornado, and it isn't replacing the harrier, it's replacing the sea harrier. This is not a labour government, we do not spend for the sake of spending, this is not a ukip government, we do not arbitrarily throw money at defence for the sake of spending, this is a Conservative led government that wishes to balance defence and fiscal responsibility.

There are also no changes for the secret services, and not changing anything is not having no commitment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Where was it said that it's replacing the tornado, and it isn't replacing the harrier, it's replacing the sea harrier. This is not a labour government, we do not spend for the sake of spending, this is not a ukip government, we do not arbitrarily throw money at defence for the sake of spending, this is a Conservative led government that wishes to balance defence and fiscal responsibility.

There are also no changes for the secret services, and not changing anything is not having no commitment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I return to the 136 Tornado GR4 aircraft with some of those not being air worthy after years of being mothballed, it is not true the Conservative government can claim to balance defence with fiscal responsibility when the current plans will leave the RAF fleet consisting of 126 Typhoons, and 48 F35s, which is not enough to fully equip both aircraft carriers, and no fighter-bombers by 2019 when all Tornado aircraft will be withdrawn from service. A government taking defence seriously would buy enough F35s to fully equip both carriers, make sure all Typhoons were air worthy, and find a one-for-one replacement aircraft for the Tornado which could be the proposed adaption of the F35 the USA is considering to replace the F15E.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I return to the 136 Tornado GR4 aircraft with some of those not being air worthy after years of being mothballed, it is not true the Conservative government can claim to balance defence with fiscal responsibility when the current plans will leave the RAF fleet consisting of 126 Typhoons, and 48 F35s, which is not enough to fully equip both aircraft carriers, and no fighter-bombers by 2019 when all Tornado aircraft will be withdrawn from service. A government taking defence seriously would buy enough F35s to fully equip both carriers, make sure all Typhoons were air worthy, and find a one-for-one replacement aircraft for the Tornado which could be the proposed adaption of the F35 the USA is considering to replace the F15E.
    As I said earlier, I shall look into it further between now and the budget at which time further measures may be announced, and the carriers are being fully equipped already

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    A solid review, with sensible planning and no over-spending. Aye!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    As I said earlier, I shall look into it further between now and the budget at which time further measures may be announced, and the carriers are being fully equipped already

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I look forward to see the result of that, however, I am more interested in the new cloning technology the government now has, fully equipping both carriers, with a combined carry load of 100 aircraft when at maximum capacity, using an order of 48 F35s is a fascinating revelation.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I look forward to see the result of that, however, I am more interested in the new cloning technology the government now has, fully equipping both carriers, with a combined carry load of 100 aircraft when at maximum capacity, using an order of 48 F35s is a fascinating revelation.
    Which would mean no other aircraft on the carriers, and the total order is 138 F-35s. The carriers are currently planned to carry at least 14 Merlins, bringing the number of aircraft up to 38+ along with wildcats and several other aircraft in small numbers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Which would mean no other aircraft on the carriers, and the total order is 138 F-35s. The carriers are currently planned to carry at least 14 Merlins, bringing the number of aircraft up to 38+ along with wildcats and several other aircraft in small numbers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That would be a fair response but the order for 138 F35s has not been placed, it is a plan that could be amended at any time by this government, or future governments: this government could have firmly placed the order.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It's a waste of money.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This statement of intent is in cessation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This statement of intent has passed.

This means that all bits not requiring primary legislation (on which I have ruled here) are automatically enacted.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.