The Student Room Group

Is prison the correct punishment for rape?

Scroll to see replies

Prison? Yes. But genital mutilation and castration? No. Firstly because that sort of punishment is medieval, and secondly because what if we convict the wrong person? The Innocence Project in the US has exonerated a number of men incarcerated for rape who turned out to have done nothing, for example.

Rape is a complex crime that both occurs and affects people in different ways (not every rapist is necessarily an evil person - some may not even know they committed rape), and "off with his dick!" or "kill him!" as a prescribed punishment is neither a particularly intelligent nor ethical form of justice. It's dark, simplistic, and juvenile.

And yes, of course many women (and sometimes men) can experience long term distress due to being raped, but the purpose of the justice system is not 'eye for an eye' retribution or pursuing a sense of emotional satisfaction from having offending individuals suffer. For example, prison is there to correct and protect; not to exact revenge. And for this reason, bodily mutilation is a hideous punishment, and we are little more than wild animals if that is our sense of justice. How are we any better than those who do evil if that is what we desire in response?

Grow up.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 41
God this planet is full of some sick, twisted, people, with a terribly skewed version of what is right and wrong.

And if it wasn't clear I'm talking about the people in this thread, not rapists. If you truly hold the views you've spoken here then you should IMO be locked up, because you can clearly not act in an acceptable way in society.
Original post by ZuluK
Should be left up to the person who was raped to decide.

Would you suggest we extend this to all crimes?

"What punishment would you like to seek for the crime of nicking a mars bar from your shop Sir?"

"Death penalty"

Makes perfect sense.

The victim in any scenario is the absolute last person who should be deciding on an appropriate punishment.
Limiting the application of criminal justice to incarceration and fines is bizarre, dysfunctional and has made western countries significantly less safe than they once were.

Punishments should run the whole gamut. Fines for grafitti simply don't work, they're never paid and are written off eventually. Caning however, or more public forms of humiliation do work and Singapore is an excellent case in point.

As far as rape goes. It seems to me the most logical approach is some sort of chemical destruction of sex drive. But for particularly egregious forms of rape, e.g. aggravated rape, then that should carry the death penalty (interesting factoid: it once did in the US but the NAACP campaigned against it and it was eventually rescinded).
Reply 44
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
+1

Also I don't want rapists integrated back into society, I don't care if they're supposedly rehabilitated, the fact they did that to someone else sickens me

Out of curiosity is there any other crime you hold this view of?
Reply 45
Original post by ZuluK
This ^

If the rape can be proved then why not?

And how would you go about proving the majority of rape cases? They're unlikely to have involved a witness who isn't either the victim, or the rapist/and accomplice. Most rapes don't happen in places with CCTV etc so they would be one persons voice against another's. You think that is a reasonable basis to mutilate a human being?
Reply 46
Original post by Anthony Ludovici

As far as rape goes. It seems to me the most logical approach is some sort of chemical destruction of sex drive. But for particularly egregious forms of rape, e.g. aggravated rape, then that should carry the death penalty (interesting factoid: it once did in the US but the NAACP campaigned against it and it was eventually rescinded).

You think someone should be killed for aggravated rape? What the genuine ****ing hell is wrong with you??

Lets go back to cutting off the hands of thieves whilst we're at it.
Original post by Dheorl
You think someone should be killed for aggravated rape? What the genuine ****ing hell is wrong with you??

Lets go back to cutting off the hands of thieves whilst we're at it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/06/nyregion/06rape.html?_r=0

I believe this black man should have been executed, yes.

As for thieves, labor camps will do just fine.
Reply 48
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/06/nyregion/06rape.html?_r=0

I believe this black man should have been executed, yes.

As for thieves, labor camps will do just fine.

That man would also be charged with torture, holding a person against their will, grievous bodily harm, attempted murder etc. There is a huge chasm of difference between that and what would often constitute aggravated rape. As mentioned in the article, that man is going to spend the rest of his life in prison.

Sorry, but IMO you have a hugely twisted moral compass.

Also, out of curiosity, why do you feel the need to specify that the man in question is black??
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dheorl
Out of curiosity is there any other crime you hold this view of?

Serious crimes directly against people rather than property, murder etc.
Who even created rape?:angry:
Original post by tamil fever
Who even created rape?:angry:

Ducks, they're nasty they are.
Reply 52
Serious crimes directly against people rather than property, murder etc.

Theft could bankrupt companies, ruin lives, even result in deaths. But people who do that are fine? Beat someone up though and you should be locked away forever?
Original post by Dheorl
Theft could bankrupt companies, ruin lives, even result in deaths. But people who do that are fine? Beat someone up though and you should be locked away forever?

Physically raping or killing someone shows a more disturbing ability to suspend empathy than white colour crime.
Physically raping or killing someone shows a more disturbing ability to suspend empathy than white colour crime.

Collar*
Original post by Elivercury
Collar*

yes indeed.
Original post by Dheorl
That man would also be charged with torture, holding a person against their will, grievous bodily harm, attempted murder etc. There is a huge chasm of difference between that and what would often constitute aggravated rape. As mentioned in the article, that man is going to spend the rest of his life in prison.

Which is why I stipulated particularly egregious examples of aggravated rape, such as that example.

Sorry, but IMO you have a hugely twisted moral compass.

Yeah, I'm the one with the twisted moral compass. People who say hatefacts need to be economically ruined and lose their livelihoods, people who say mean things about protected groups need to be killed (just look at the reaction to the planned Trump assassination), but murderers and violent rapists being liquidated? Oy vey the humanity!

Grow a pair, you're the product of a comfortable, sedentary lifestyle. You're weak.

Also, out of curiosity, why do you feel the need to specify that the man in question is black??

Because Black Americans are responsible for a grossly disproportionate number of rapes, particularly aggravated rapes, against white women.
Reply 57
Which is why I stipulated particularly egregious examples of aggravated rape, such as that example.

No, you said particularly egregious examples of rape, such as aggravated rape. At least be consistent in your arguments.

Yeah, I'm the one with the twisted moral compass. People who say hatefacts need to be economically ruined and lose their livelihoods, people who say mean things about protected groups need to be killed (just look at the reaction to the planned Trump assassination), but murderers and violent rapists being liquidated? Oy vey the humanity!

Grow a pair, you're the product of a comfortable, sedentary lifestyle. You're weak.

I don't think anyone should be killed for their views or actions.

As for calling me weak, you can make as many personal attacks against me as you like, I just find it laughable. Especially that one. You know nothing about my lifestyle.

Because Black Americans are responsible for a grossly disproportionate number of rapes, particularly aggravated rapes, against white women.

But what relevance does it have to this case? Are you saying the punishment should be different if he wasn't black?
You cant rehabilitate rapists so kill them.
Women you lot are too libersl btw.
I always find it ofd that the people that are most likely to be raped are the most likely to apose the death penalty.
Mad.
Original post by qwertypoiop
He should not have been given even that. A Stanford graduate who has extremely rich parents will probably pay off more than enough in taxes in the future to compensate for what he had done. Career criminals and repeat offenders should get locked up immediately, but if it is a person of such a high value they should be given a chance.

Money doesn't equal worth of a human being. Money doesn't compensate for mental and physical harm and you're deluded to think that it does.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending