Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

23rd June - EU Referendum Day: have you voted yet? Watch

• View Poll Results: Have you voted yet?
    Yes
    50.93%
    No
    18.22%
    I'm not voting
    25.03%
    Huh? Voting for what?
    5.82%

ReputationRep:
    Plz vote wisely
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ants-myth.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09craige)
    Not so sure about that. We survived before the EU. Since joining the EU we have gained huge debts that we are never going to pay off until we leave. The only prime minister who did any good in improving the deficits was Margaret thatcher.
    The market was a lot simpler back then, we didn't have to really heavily on the financial sector as the manufacturing and agricultural sectors have really saved our bums. Times have changed since then ad we have to rely on the fact that the financial sector is going to be main source of income and leaving the EU will severely disrupt this.

ReputationRep:
    Voted leave but told everyone I voted remain to avoid judgement 🌞

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MBBPrincess)
    Let me guess.. was immigration the main agenda why you wanted to leave? *sighs*

ReputationRep:
    I feel u 😭

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it, people like you might just win this for the Leave side. It's like 'Shy Tories' in the gen election, there's a good chance that Shy Leave voters will win this for the Leave side
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09craige)
    Not so sure about that. We survived before the EU. Since joining the EU we have gained huge debts that we are never going to pay off until we leave. The only prime minister who did any good in improving the deficits was Margaret thatcher.
    We have also become the 5th biggest economy since we joined. Before we joined the EU we were in the low 30s IIRC. Also this isn't about survival but thriving.

ReputationRep:
    I made up my mind
    After reading the article "Nailed, the four big EU lies: Talks with Turkey will start in days, Brexit WON'T spark trade war say Germans, Brussels will NOT reform on open borders and deportation of jobless EU migrants a myth" -MailOnline
    Plz choose wisely guys 😂

ReputationRep:
    Leave will be my vote later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlieoakley97)
    The 5th largest economy in the world won't crumble...

Bear in mind that we're the fifth largest economy whilst inside the EU. I feel the conducting trade negotiation through the single market is far better in the long run.

...an undemocratic institution like the EU...
    It's nowhere near as undemocratic as some may like to suggest. The European Commissioners are appointed, not elected, yes. But they are appointed by the European Councillors, who are elected. Plus, EU legislation cannot be passed without the consent of either the European Parliament of the European Council (depending on the specific legislation), the members of which are elected. An interesting point I heard raised (can't remember where) explained that we don't elect our teachers, traffic wardens etc.

...forging trade deals with the EU...
    This is far easier said than done! Plus the UK would still have to abide by EU rules if it wanted access to the single market, which I'm sure you'll agree is vital. One of these rules is extremely likely to be the free movement of people, which is one of the issues the Leave campaign raised in the first place.

...make the British economy stronger...
    I genuinely can't see the argument that leaving the largest single market in the world will make our economy stronger. If I'm going to listen to anyone, it's the experts, and you can't deny that they are, in majority, in favour of remaining.

...more resilient to EU turmoil...
    We are resilient to EU turmoil anyway. We're not in the Eurozone or Schengen Area, plus we are leaders in terms of trade, economics and finance in the EU anyway.

This has been an interesting 4 or so months of campaigning for both sides, but the most important thing is that people actually use their vote. Not long until we know the outcome...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    We have also become the 5th biggest economy since we joined. Before we joined the EU we were in the low 30s IIRC. Also this isn't about survival but thriving.
    "Before we joined the EU we were in the low 30s IIRC" is that satirical? You don't seriously think that's right, do you?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    "Before we joined the EU we were in the low 30s IIRC" is that satirical? You don't seriously think that's right, do you?
    It is right.

ReputationRep:
    Voted and voted to Remain.

Why anybody would vote leave and stand alongside racists and xenophobes really perplexes me!

ReputationRep:
    Voted leave!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnkz7)
    I know this is off topic guys but... do you think the gov should allow 17-16 year olds to vote? I'm 18 but a couple of people in my year group dont turn 18 until July-August which I think is slightly unfair as this will impact us more than pensioners who will kneel over anytime soon.
    No!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cooliomed)
    Voted and voted to Remain.

Why anybody would vote leave and stand alongside racists and xenophobes really perplexes me!
    I also voted to remain, but to brand those voting leave as racists and xenophobes is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SH0405)
    I also voted to remain, but to brand those voting leave as racists and xenophobes is, quite frankly, ridiculous.
    If I want to label leave campaigners from the likes of UKIP, Britain First and the anti-immigration lobby from the right as racists and xenophobes then I quite frankly can do and will do based on the rhetoric they continue to propagate.

ReputationRep:
    If I want to label leave campaigners from the likes of UKIP, Britain First and the anti-immigration lobby from the right as racists and xenophobes then I quite frankly can do and will do based on the rhetoric they continue to propagate.
    The reasons that people are voting to leave are not, on the whole, racist.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Labour supporter and I've voted Leave. This referendum is of a different magnitude than our typical general elections and quite frankly no matter where you see yourself on the political spectrum, you'll vote for which option you deem to be best for the future of the country. Labelling those who vote Leave as racists because some people on that side are right-wing politcians is quite frankly a very ignorant thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    bear™ voted Remain.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.