Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team
    I am voting leave

ReputationRep:
    If we lose by 1 vote.. I am holding you personally responsible!!!

(Original post by ImNotReallyMe)
    Couldn't be bothered going out but I'm rooting for you leave!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Roast)
    Arrogant and sanctimonious.

I'm not arguing with you, I don't even want to debate, I'm calling you out.
    Whatever floats your boat I guess

(Original post by Iknowbest)
    Why do you say the pound will be destroyed.. we have always had the pound and when we didn't convert to Euro's like the unfortunate Greece for one example, we have managed to sustain our economy.. even against the odds. The EU doesn't help our economy by letting in many, many immigrants that get into Europe and then migrate to the UK.. this simply put's strain on our welfare system, in many ways. Also, the money that we send to Brussels is an obvious deficit.. due to being able to sustain our trade partners or even extend our trade partners further being out of the EU, it could be argued we would actually do much better!

Being in the EU has a direct negative effect on our economy and we are actually keeping the EU afloat.. so we are not only paying for the British we are paying for many other EU countries that are struggling, due to the failing system!
    The thing with currencies is that they are susceptible to volatility - the pound is so strong now because London is the financial centre of the world. Should the UK leave, not only will the markets be very reluctant to invest in it for some time (don't forget the recent flight - here), but they will have no real reason to do so in the first place. London cannot, by definition, remain the financial capital of the EU - considering it will not even be in the EU! And as most banks have made clear, they will go to other prosperous cities, not least Frankfurt. All that equals a weaker pound. It may rebound in the future - I won't say it will never improve. But its effect will be devastating even if it lasts for a short period of time.

The talk about immigration is mostly false, and unfortunately people have been all too easily convinced. Immigrants offer more to the UK, in total, than they take - it's mostly native people who are on benefits and offer little to nothing to the economy (ref here).

It is extremely naive to think the UK keeps the EU afloat. There's no British Empire anymore. Leaving would equal losing all trading benefits, which evidently will have devastating effects on the already weak manufacturing industry of the UK. Making a new trade deal will in turn necessitate the same obligations, such as free movement and whatnot, but without the UK being able to actually vote in such matters. To me, this scenario is disastrous.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not old enough to vote but I find the thinking of some of those voting quite worrying. I have across many that are voting out and their decision always has strong influence by immigration without any actual consideration of the economy or other factors.
    I am quite neutral on this however I strongly disagree with those voting out with the mindset it is going to reduce the number of Europeans 'stealing their jobs' and 'invading their country'. I just find this very uneducated as immigration plays only a small part in the overall picture of what effect leaving or staying will have.

ReputationRep:
    The thing with currencies is that they are susceptible to volatility - the pound is so strong now because London is the financial centre of the world. Should the UK leave, not only will the markets be very reluctant to invest in it for some time (don't forget the recent flight - here), but they will have no real reason to do so in the first place. London cannot, by definition, remain the financial capital of the EU - considering it will not even be in the EU! And as most banks have made clear, they will go to other prosperous cities, not least Frankfurt. All that equals a weaker pound. It may rebound in the future - I won't say it will never improve. But its effect will be devastating even if it lasts for a short period of time.

The talk about immigration is mostly false, and unfortunately people have been all too easily convinced. Immigrants offer more to the UK, in total, than they take - it's mostly native people who are on benefits and offer little to nothing to the economy (ref here).

It is extremely naive to think the UK keeps the EU afloat. There's no British Empire anymore. Leaving would equal losing all trading benefits, which evidently will have devastating effects on the already weak manufacturing industry of the UK. Making a new trade deal will in turn necessitate the same obligations, such as free movement and whatnot, but without the UK being able to actually vote in such matters. To me, this scenario is disastrous.
    You have listened to all the scaremongering and fallen for it! We can all show a website in support of each campaign.. it doesn't make it factual.

The POUND is strong with or without the EU.. London will still be London, in or out of the EU.. these things will not change. The only changes will be that investors might now get an even better deal from London without the constraints of the EU!

The fact is that nobody knows for sure what the outcomes will be, stay or leave! All I need to know is that things are not going in the right direction so let's get out and make things happen once and for all. i am not scared but excited to leave!!

ReputationRep:
    You have listened to all the scaremongering and fallen for it! We can all show a website in support of each campaign.. it doesn't make it factual.

The POUND is strong with or without the EU.. London will still be London, in or out of the EU.. these things will not change. The only changes will be that investors might now get an even better deal from London without the constraints of the EU!

The fact is that nobody knows for sure what the outcomes will be, stay or leave! All I need to know is that things are not going in the right direction so let's get out and make things happen once and for all. i am not scared but excited to leave!!
    Erm, it's basic economics - it is YOU who has listened to the 'scaremonging' (a most pathetic excuse tbh), if you can't see how this will actually happen.

The pound is a currency - it isn't strong because it is the 'pound'. It's strong because of the investment that goes into it. Considering the massive flight of investment that happened some time ago on the premise of brevet, it would be very naive to think it won't be weakened. And you must be joking if you think investors would prefer a country with 60m people over a bloc with 440m.

The outcomes are all to certain. The issue is whether one is realistic and accepts or naive and ignores them. Your willingness to put the future of the UK on your intuition and excitement for 'something new' is very dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    Can we have children together?!!

VOTE LEAVE

ReputationRep:
    I am not scared to leave.. therefor proving I haven't fallen for these tactics. Staying IN does scare me because we are already in and have been for years and look at the state of the country!! IF the pound devalues for a short while it will be worth it to finally be able to self govern our Country and really fix things that are devaluing our society!

I put people lives over money.. unlike the rich and influential people who advocate Staying in because it benefits them!

We have people who simply can not afford to feed themselves... and rely on food banks!! It is tragic and we need change before it get worse and worse!

(Original post by *Stefan*)
    Erm, it's basic economics - it is YOU who has listened to the 'scaremonging' (a most pathetic excuse tbh), if you can't see how this will actually happen.

The pound is a currency - it isn't strong because it is the 'pound'. It's strong because of the investment that goes into it. Considering the massive flight of investment that happened some time ago on the premise of brevet, it would be very naive to think it won't be weakened. And you must be joking if you think investors would prefer a country with 60m people over a bloc with 440m.

The outcomes are all to certain. The issue is whether one is realistic and accepts or naive and ignores them. Your willingness to put the future of the UK on your intuition and excitement for 'something new' is very dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    I did too but I have a feeling that Remain will prevail

ReputationRep:
    I am not scared to leave.. therefor proving I haven't fallen for these tactics. Staying IN does scare me because we are already in and have been for years and look at the state of the country!! IF the pound devalues for a short while it will be worth it to finally be able to self govern our Country and really fix things that are devaluing our society!

I put people lives over money.. unlike the rich and influential people who advocate Staying in because it benefits them!

We have people who simply can not afford to feed themselves... and rely on food banks!! It is tragic and we need change before it get worse and worse!
    Considering you support 'leave', scaremonging means you're scared to stay, not leave. So, as you say, it has indeed worked. If the pound devalues everything will be chaotic - and the trade deficit will increase (increasing prices). If you think this will improve society you are kidding yourself.

But it is ordinary people's lives that will be most affected - banks, no matter how bad they may be seen in moral terms, are absolutely vital for the economy. Them leaving will spell havoc for the UK.

Leaving the EU will not change that at all. I can't believe you actually said this.

Unfortunately you are yet again one of the many who presented no real arguments, but rather appeals to emotions - which are meaningless.

If we lose by 1 vote.. I am holding you personally responsible!!!
    Can i vote? Like you had to register but i couldn't register?

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Didn't expect such a grand response. Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    No my fear of staying in has nothing to do with the IN campaign.. this is due to many years of living in these conditions!

Ban banks, hell ban usury.. it only enslaves people!
    Considering you support 'leave', scaremonging means you're scared to stay, not leave. So, as you say, it has indeed worked. If the pound devalues everything will be chaotic - and the trade deficit will increase (increasing prices). If you think this will improve society you are kidding yourself.

But it is ordinary people's lives that will be most affected - banks, no matter how bad they may be seen in moral terms, are absolutely vital for the economy. Them leaving will spell havoc for the UK.

Leaving the EU will not change that at all. I can't believe you actually said this.

Unfortunately you are yet again one of the many who presented no real arguments, but rather appeals to emotions - which are meaningless.

ReputationRep:
    But the EU is One of the countries with the most significant influence. From laws to policies - UK always had a frontal position. I don't get the point that the UK cannot help reform the EU. At all. Yes, you won't get favourable treatment for obvious reasons, but reforming the EU itself is well within the country's powers.

That would he naive. The EU is massive, and can secure the best possible deals with other countries. It would be no sense for other countries to place the UK above the EU and make renewed deals which are the same at now (ie either very low tariffs or no tarries at all). And that is to ignore the countries WITHIN the EU, which will not be able to make new trade deals prima facie.
    But that's exactly what Cameron's suggesting for us if we vote Remain. He keeps talking about special deals and negotiations.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for Voting Leave, Brexiteers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mayhem™)
    I feel asleep at 'My Reasons'
    And then you woke up to 'UK Votes To Leave'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by similarBlank)
    And then you woke up to 'UK Votes To Leave'.
    this is good, hats off to you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.