Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I mean Data had rights in Star Trek, defended them in Court and everything
    This is exactly what this debate reminded me of!!!

ReputationRep:
    Love to see the manifesto :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elivercury)
    Right, well clearly there is no point furthering this discussion. Apparently in your mind a machine can never be equal to a human regardless of any level of similarity and commonality.
    Correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Eif an alien species came to earth would you say that "they are not human so they have no rights" ?
    I would. Many animals have sentience. I would not give them rights.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I would. Many animals have sentience. I would not give them rights.
    Then what is the reason you belive humans are deserving of rights? What basis do you judge them by or quality do they have which makes them superior and more deserving than others?

ReputationRep:
    My view is that respect and care for animals should sit alongside care for the environment as we only have one planet. So it should be a part of the Green agenda.

Destroying wildlife habitats should be a no-no, for example. Cleaner air benefits animals and birds as well as humans.

ReputationRep:
    This has gotten me thinking, I can't tell whether you guys are having a good laugh or if people are genuinely interested in forming a group or even movement?!

• Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TitanCream)
    This has gotten me thinking, I can't tell whether you guys are having a good laugh or if people are genuinely interested in forming a group or even movement?!

I'd be interested but just 'animal rights' is too broad. Plus I like being an indie it's so liberating!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I'd be interested but just 'animal rights' is too broad. Plus I like being an indie it's so liberating!!!
    Would you be interested in working on it? Its something that appeals to me and lets be honest, I could do more as an MP.

ReputationRep:
    No offence, but thats just nonsense
    Eventually I have no doubt that artificial intelligence will be able to display a semblance of thought, emotion, and feeling that will be indistinguishable from what we humans exhibit. Doesn't it make sense to start thinking about what rights they should have before that happens?

You're right that we probably don't need to start campaigning just yet.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I wouldn't mind the formation of this party as long as there are enough active members and it doesn't just become another Nat Lib party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I wouldn't mind the formation of this party as long as there are enough active members and it doesn't just become another Nat Lib party.
    Oh, well I am active always (:

If people are interested, then I'll consider it but of course I won't be rash unless I know theres a 'demand'.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Would you be interested in working on it? Its something that appeals to me and lets be honest, I could do more as an MP.
    I'm afraid that our politics are very very different to eachother for us forming a party together to work very well. It would probably be better as a political lobby group... Which actually might be a good idea for the house ... To end parties, make everyone stand as indies and make them be part of different political lobbies to get stuff done.... But it's impractical so won't happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I'm afraid that our politics are very very different to eachother for us forming a party together to work very well. It would probably be better as a political lobby group... Which actually might be a good idea for the house ... To end parties, make everyone stand as indies and make them be part of different political lobbies to get stuff done.... But it's impractical so won't happen.
    I would not be particularly opposed to forming a lobby group within the Liberals? Maybe I could ask Petros.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    We are all 'machines'.

No I'm not, I didn't say anything of the sort.
    It's fitting that I read this conversation whilst listening to Einsturzende Neubauten.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    It's fitting that I read this conversation whilst listening to Einsturzende Neubauten.
    No clue what you're on about but ok.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    No clue what you're on about but ok.
    Just listen...

• Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    1) One-issue parties are never good
    2) Too broad
    3) Won't have the membership
    4) Provided by other parties

No need for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    1) One-issue parties are never good
    2) Too broad
    3) Won't have the membership
    4) Provided by other parties

No need for it.
    Tell that to UKIP
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Tell that to UKIP
    2 and 3 don't apply to UKIP, but yes, point taken

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.