Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pound is at lowest level since 1985 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimstone)
    I say we let the country go to ****, and tax the **** out of old people and people who made us leave, for ****ing it up for all of us. And show them how ''project fear'' was ''project truth''

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Then again, we don't have much of an identity. The whole world is laughing at us. I'd be laughing at us if I wasn't stuck here. The world sees us as an island full of angry little xenophobes, smacking their chests like cavemen and *****ing on about sovereignty while we destroy everything around us.
    Unlike you, I actually live outside of england.. over the last two years I have lived in a number of different countries.

The UK is actually far more respected outside of its own boarders, then within.. to many other countries we are still a proud, old country with huge contribution to history, both negative and positive, and a modern society many dream of living in, or atleast visiting.

Its when I come back to my home in the UK, that I start to see people talking about how awful a country it is, and how terrible the people are.. not outside.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently France has overtaken the UK as the worlds fifth largest economy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Apparently France has overtaken the UK as the worlds fifth largest economy
    Indeed, even the Daily Express are admitting that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    Unlike you, I actually live outside of england.. over the last two years I have lived in a number of different countries.

The UK is actually far more respected outside of its own boarders, then within.. to many other countries we are still a proud, old country with huge contribution to history, both negative and positive, and a modern society many dream of living in, or atleast visiting.

Its when I come back to my home in the UK, that I start to see people talking about how awful a country it is, and how terrible the people are.. not outside.
    Tell that to Scotland and Northern Ireland, who now want to leave the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimstone)
    I say we let the country go to ****, and tax the **** out of old people and people who made us leave, for ****ing it up for all of us. And show them how ''project fear'' was ''project truth''
    And what do you suggest we do once they leave?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    And what do you suggest we do once they leave?
    Where will they leave to? We're leaving the EU.

ReputationRep:
    The pound has fallen TO THE LOWEST LEVEL IN 30 YEARS. The fact that you're trying to dismiss it with "it will bounce back" shows just how deep this mass delusion runs.
    haha

don't be silly, it is still just remain scaremongering.

I'm convinced that in just a few years we will be back up there with the world's finest economies such as Zimbabwe the DRC.

Everything will be fine. We have control now they tell us. Why would they lie? You make it out as if leave voters are closet xenophobes or something.

ReputationRep:
    Tell that to Scotland and Northern Ireland, who now want to leave the UK.
    Sadly this is not the case for NI. Don't let the voting map fool you into thinking they would leave the UK. There are significant areas (the wee black north), where xenophobic people dominate, North Antrim for example, they may be concentrated in west of the river Bann, mainly the North coast, but I assure you they exist throughout the north. A large reasoning (not public btw) behind their leave vote was to deepen further the divide from the republic (dirty Catholics who are inferior). Many in those areas which overwhelming leave votes would have voted while licking their lips at the prospect of a physical border. Such people will never vote to leave the UK and if a referendum was pass they are the ones who will drag us back to conflict.

Asides from them, the average unionist (ie not the bigoted ones) likely would have wanted to remain in the EU, but they are unionists first and foremost, they will be more loyal to the UK than the EU, they'll never vote in the masses to leave just to join the EU.

The vote depends on the nationalist turnout and 'unionists' who prefer the EU. At the moment there are even large numbers of nationalists who would not want to join ROI given their economic mess.

What is likely to happen if there is a referendum in NI is after it is lost, Irish republicanism will realise there is likely never to be a united Ireland with the armalite in the other hand. A very dangerous scenario indeed. I fear these old farts who voted to leave have just about ended the peace process in NI.

ReputationRep:
    Where will they leave to? We're leaving the EU.
    The old people he/she claims should be taxed excessively. Over-taxation is rarely a sound solution.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.