Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cameron resigns: who will be next PM? Watch

• View Poll Results: Following Cameron's resignation, who will be the next prime minister?
    Theresa May
    14.96%
    George Osborne
    6.57%
    Boris Johnson
    48.91%
    Michael Gove
    6.57%
    Someone else
    22.99%

• Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by drogon)
    Chuka Umunna.
    Cameron's successor can choose whether to hold an early General Election to secure mandate or not. If he does, then Labour will need to oust Corbyn first and elect a new leader. Then it's up to the nation to decide.

Personally, I think Andy Burnham is a good candidate to succeed Corbyn if that's that case but he's running for Mayor of Greater Manchester. Owen Smith and Wes Streeting are both good alternatives IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JTran38)
    Cameron's successor can choose whether to hold an early General Election to secure mandate or not. If he does, then Labour will need to oust Corbyn first and elect a new leader. Then it's up to the nation to decide.

Personally, I think Andy Burnham is a good candidate to succeed Corbyn if that's that case but he's running for Mayor of Greater Manchester. Owen Smith and Wes Streeting are both good alternatives IMO.
    The young folk in labour are all great candidates. As a london guy im just leaning towards Umunna but Burnham is a brilliant man too.

ReputationRep:
    Well done Brexiters. We now know you all did it for more Borris Bikes...

ReputationRep:
    come back david milliband, you are our only hope. Dont leave us with the likes of Boris, Michael Gove, Farage -yuck i think im gonna puke. Did Brexiteers seriously think this through? if so how stupid are they?

Theresa May would be the only other acceptable candidate for me but i doubt she'll have a chance or even go for it.

ReputationRep:
    most likely boris,
    Spoiler:
    Show
    but i dont want him to

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to have Boris as PM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooks)
    So David Cameron has fallen on his sword and will be gone by October.

Who do you think will take his place? Are we set for prime minister Boris Johnson?
    uhh please NOT Boris, I dont trust him enough
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by drogon)
    The young folk in labour are all great candidates. As a london guy im just leaning towards Umunna but Burnham is a brilliant man too.
    Burnham would be a great leader but he's unlikely to put himself in the running if he wants to be the candidate for Mayor of Greater Manchester. I'm not too keen on Umunna anyways as a Londoner and I think someone else like Owen Smith should put themselves forward should Corbyn be ousted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JTran38)
    Burnham would be a great leader but he's unlikely to put himself in the running if he wants to be the candidate for Mayor of Greater Manchester. I'm not too keen on Umunna anyways as a Londoner and I think someone else like Owen Smith should put themselves forward should Corbyn be ousted.
    What's bad about Umunna?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraxh)
    Boris Johnson is likely to become prime minister
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I want Jeremy Corbyn to become prime minister.
    Corbyns messed up everything hes had to do and is about to be vote of no confidenced lol.

ReputationRep:
    BJ

ReputationRep:
    It'll very likely be Boris. The whole reason he jumped ship to Leave was to become PM.

We will now have a PM who looks and acts like a parody politician.

ReputationRep:
    My hunch (in the immediate term) is on Theresa May. Although I think BoJo will be on the final ballot for the election, I think Theresa has been relatively unharmed by the referendum (to public and politicians). She has been a capable Home Secretary and a good administrator - and is not tarred I don't feel as badly as the image of a rich boys club as one might denote to Dave/BoJo/Osbo. She's also quite eurosceptic, and could prove a good negotiator. She apparently has large support from Tory MPs to be next leader.

I've also heard good things about Dominic Raab (eurosceptic) but don't think he has the Parliamentary support at this time. Crabb is too europhile for the party, Morgan too left wing for the party, and Osbo will perhaps be sidelined in favour of Theresa for the eurosceptic vote.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsphysics91)
    Corbyns messed up everything hes had to do and is about to be vote of no confidenced lol.
    I think someone else will take Jeremy Corbyns place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraxh)
    I think someone else will take Jeremy Corbyns place.
    Hopefully not Tom Watson, ideally Andy Burnham.

ReputationRep:
    Blowjob.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsphysics91)
    Hopefully not Tom Watson, ideally Andy Burnham.
    Jeremy Corbyn said he won't resign because he wants to be Prime Minister. I just searched it.

ReputationRep:
    Lol who on Earth chose Gove.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind borris, he would be one of the most down to earth candidates we've ever had. He's comical but he's pretty clever
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hard to say given the list of candidates..

May
    Gove
    Boris
    Crabb - endorsed by Ruth Davidson
    Morgan
    Fox
    Javid
    Osbourne

So essentially because Tory MP's whittle them down to two you essentially have to look at which groups of MP's each candidate appeals to (Boris obviously has an edge among members but not MP's). You can probably split the party as anti-stablishement euro-skeptic/establishment remain/establishment euro-skeptic.

Personally i suspect that May has won the ballot among MP's for the first run off slot. She's euro-skeptic, she's stayed out the arguing but she never went against the PM. She's the only candidate i see that can see gaining support from all three party groups.

For the others you could see the right of the party rally behind Fox, Gove probably has more parliamentary appeal than Boris but both would get the majority of their support from the establishment euro-skeptics. The other candidates are probably too weak unless the establishment remain really unite behind one.

Moral of the story is that second slot to join May is probably close between a back bencher (probably Fox), Boris and Gove albeit Gove and Boris both running would probably be problematic for both.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.