Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Operation Fightback - Millennials vs Baby Boomers after Brexit Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elivercury)
    "least impactful" doesn't mean it isn't there and doesn't exist. Out of curiosity, how much of your loan have you paid back?
    I'm still at uni so still accumulating debt. My point is there's no reason to fret about it. Would you borrow a million pounds if you only ever had to pay back a fiver a month?

Just because 99% don't choose to take the option, doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. Also with ever increasing student loans it's clearly becoming more attractive.
    In an ideal world everything everyone wants would exist. But students shouldn't be pretending this is the end of the world and Brexit has shafted you all over when literally only about 1% of you take up this option.

Your comments about the quality of English (not British I note) universities is also absolute guff. Half the universities in the country are pretty poor and only a handful make it anywhere within the world rankings. There are plenty of world class institutions in Europe which would offer superior opportunities and likewise plenty of average institutions which would do just as good a job as an average English/British university.
    Not really guff. England as a collective has the best universities in Europe by a country mile. Every country obviously has their chaff and their wheat, but overall as an average England is numero uno.
    I don't see how this is up for discussion. 46 out of the top 200 universities in Europe are in the UK, which means about 40ish will be English.

ReputationRep:
    Once again, he is not pretending it's a social injustice or saying that the vote should not be accepted.

He's saying that if you're not going to show up and vote, don't piss and moan when those who did get their way. Older people carry a dominant share of the vote because they bother to show up and vote, not through any special privilege. If young people feel they aren't getting a voice or are being "controlled" by their elders, then the solution is simple - go out and vote instead of crying on the internet.

If you don't vote, you've no right to complain about the outcome.
    I will actually apologise because I agree. I misread the OP but I was really only reacting to this torrent of threads calling it an absolute injustice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    I'm still at uni so still accumulating debt. My point is there's no reason to fret about it. Would you borrow a million pounds if you only ever had to pay back a fiver a month?

In an ideal world everything everyone wants would exist. But students shouldn't be pretending this is the end of the world and Brexit has shafted you all over when literally only about 1% of you take up this option.

Not really guff. England as a collective has the best universities in Europe by a country mile. Every country obviously has their chaff and their wheat, but overall as an average England is numero uno.
    I don't see how this is up for discussion. 46 out of the top 200 universities in Europe are in the UK, which means about 40ish will be English.
    Ah, right I see where you're coming from now. I should clarify. For those of us to intend to be successful and have good careers, we will have to pay back this loan. If you plan to drop out and work at McDonalds then I fully agree, you can just ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist until it gets written off at 50.

Personally I would rather not have to pay off ~£60,000 when I could do a course for free. The ~£30,000 I am currently paying off from my degree was bad enough as it is.

Again, it was an option increasing in popularity due to the ridiculous fees we now have. I also fail to see how only being able to go to one of 154 good universities is a significant problem? Lets not pretend that those 46 universities are the top 46 universities out of 200. 46 is less than half of the universities in the country (there are around 110 if I recall?), so clearly this backs up my comment about them being poor.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, right I see where you're coming from now. I should clarify. For those of us to intend to be successful and have good careers, we will have to pay back this loan. If you plan to drop out and work at McDonalds then I fully agree, you can just ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist until it gets written off at 50.
    What are you whining about then? Successful people paying the most back into the system is the bedrock of a progressive society, which is exactly what students keep pretending they advocate. Do you expect people to shed tears because corporate executives have to pay more of their student loans back?

Personally I would rather not have to pay off ~£60,000 when I could do a course for free. The ~£30,000 I am currently paying off from my degree was bad enough as it is.
    I'd rather not pay for anything and have everything for free. Unfortunately life doesn't work that way. The current system is fairer and more importantly more sustainable.

Again, it was an option increasing in popularity due to the ridiculous fees we now have. I also fail to see how only being able to go to one of 154 good universities is a significant problem? Lets not pretend that those 46 universities are the top 46 universities out of 200. 46 is less than half of the universities in the country (there are around 110 if I recall?), so clearly this backs up my comment about them being poor.
    There are thousands and thousands of universities in Europe. I can not believe you are even attempting to argue that the UK 'only' having 46 in the top 200 is somehow bad. If you average out the rankings of every countries universities, England's would be by far the best. The UK has more than any other nation in the top 10, 25, 50, 100, 200, 1,000 etc. etc. Seriously how is this even up for debate? It's pretty impressive actually how much you've managed to twist this into somehow backing up your argument even though it actually thoroughly demolished it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherry82)
    As someone who is apart of that sector, the young people group I genuinely do not. I do not believe that the older generation is trying to conspire against us because I understand that people had good intentions in wanting us to leave but unfortunately thought about themselves more than what's good for everybody. I don't blame people, I get that people put themselves as first priority. I do however find it unfair that the majority of the younger sector who voted to remain, if any thing goes wrong would sadly be the ones to suffer the most though the voted otherwise. It's us who are just starting our careers, entering university and wanting to find ourselves as people. The older generation generally speaking have already established themselves, either retired or in a secure career that allows them to vote leaving. When the older generation who mainly voted for us to leave, pass away, it will be us still here dealing with the decision. It's our future at stake here. I'm about turning 19 and I'm petrified.
    What? Where did you get that impression from?

(A bit biased here but) employers discriminate against people at that age (e.g. the age of 50) over someone younger. They are hardly financially secure and redundancy is rife.

ReputationRep:
    What are you whining about then? Successful people paying the most back into the system is the bedrock of a progressive society, which is exactly what students keep pretending they advocate. Do you expect people to shed tears because corporate executives have to pay more of their student loans back?

I'd rather not pay for anything and have everything for free. Unfortunately life doesn't work that way. The current system is fairer and more importantly more sustainable.
    Successful people paying more taxes is not the same thing as failures taking out loans they can't afford to pay back. People taking out loans and then paying them back is not progressive, and people taking out loans and not paying them back certainly isn't progressive. I'm unsure why you're so enthusiastic on people getting into debt when there are options that don't require it. I can only assume it's because you've not needed to pay it back and have already written it off at 50 in advance.

And life does work that way, or at least will for another two years. This isn't some fantasy I'm making up, you can currently go abroad and get a good university education, absolutely free, rather than paying 9k a year. I fail to see

There are thousands and thousands of universities in Europe. I can not believe you are even attempting to argue that the UK 'only' having 46 in the top 200 is somehow bad. If you average out the rankings of every countries universities, England's would be by far the best. The UK has more than any other nation in the top 10, 25, 50, 100, 200, 1,000 etc. etc. Seriously how is this even up for debate? It's pretty impressive actually how much you've managed to twist this into somehow backing up your argument even though it actually thoroughly demolished it.
    I didn't specify that the UK having "only" 46, universities is bad. I stated that there are 154 top 200 universities that you can go to in Europe that will definitely give you a better education than over half the universities in the UK. Which is a fact. Many of those 154 will also be better than some of the 46 that have made it, as they don't occupy positions 1-46.

I'm also not disputing that the UK is ranked very highly for their further education - and I would argue it's probably top for undergraduate qualifications in the world overall when comparing the averages throughout.

However that doesn't change the fact that while we've many great institutions we've also got many poor ones - that they are better than the poor institutions in other countries is fairly irrelevant in my opinion.

The fact of the matter is that there are many (at least 154) globally recognised, high quality institutions within Europe and you can study at some of them absolutely free, without having to pay £9,000 a year. How you can not consider that a fantastic deal is beyond me.

BA Modern liberal arts, say no more

ReputationRep:
    We just wait for the number of voters to change from more pro EU individuals as the older generation naturally reduce in number. Then we try to join back? :dontknow:

What's done is done, all I hope is that I'm proven wrong and leaving the EU doesn't destroy the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Successful people paying more taxes is not the same thing as failures taking out loans they can't afford to pay back. People taking out loans and then paying them back is not progressive, and people taking out loans and not paying them back certainly isn't progressive. I'm unsure why you're so enthusiastic on people getting into debt when there are options that don't require it. I can only assume it's because you've not needed to pay it back and have already written it off at 50 in advance.
    The current system is for all intents and purposes a graduate tax. It being a 'loan' doesn't change the fact that those who earn the most will pay back the most into the system. That is progressive. I always marvel at how when it comes to tuition fees suddenly otherwise self-proclaimed progressive liberal students are suddenly use the same language they criticise Tories for.
    And no, I'm simply not self-entitled and ungrateful. The government are lending me 50 grand to better myself under favourable repayment terms. What exactly have I got to moan about?

And life does work that way, or at least will for another two years. This isn't some fantasy I'm making up, you can currently go abroad and get a good university education, absolutely free, rather than paying 9k a year. I fail to see
    My point is the fact that you simply want something to remain free isn't really an argument about the merits of it. From the sounds of it you just want free stuff for the sake of having free stuff.

I didn't specify that the UK having "only" 46, universities is bad. I stated that there are 154 top 200 universities that you can go to in Europe that will definitely give you a better education than over half the universities in the UK. Which is a fact. Many of those 154 will also be better than some of the 46 that have made it, as they don't occupy positions 1-46.
    If you can't get into a top 50 uni in the UK I'd imagine you'd be hard pressed to get into a top 5/10 uni from another country.

I'm also not disputing that the UK is ranked very highly for their further education - and I would argue it's probably top for undergraduate qualifications in the world overall when comparing the averages throughout.

However that doesn't change the fact that while we've many great institutions we've also got many poor ones - that they are better than the poor institutions in other countries is fairly irrelevant in my opinion.

The fact of the matter is that there are many (at least 154) globally recognised, high quality institutions within Europe and you can study at some of them absolutely free, without having to pay £9,000 a year. How you can not consider that a fantastic deal is beyond me.
    It is a fantastic deal, you're right. It was just not, on balance, high up on my priorities list when decided how to vote, especially because the UK system has little to no real 'noticeable' impact on finances. When the Guardian talk of students drowning in debt it's massive hyperbole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    Its not just the young vs the baby boomers. Its us 30 to 50s as well. The people in the middle. We made choices and me personally I am bloody happy that we have left the EU. Means we can get rid of this nanny state attitude.

Back in my day during school you got a really good shouting at if you disrespected your elders.
    During my Parent's time at school you got the cane and you where whipped into submission.
    During my Grand Parents time at school you got birched and it really really hurt!

Your lucky that we have moved on from a barbaric fascist society to a semi benevolent society.

Maybe we should revert back to the good good old days and you can learn some respect!

Tell you 1 thing the new generations who where born from 1995 on wards really should learn some life experience 1st because you may think your going to earn £75,000+ right now but reality has ways of biting you and waking you up.

And as for your social justice pro noun safe space rubbish majority of the elderly think your a joke!
    What the **** does any of this have to do with the EU? The EU hasn't stopped us from electing neanderthals. If you want to go back to the stone age, vote for a party that'll take you there. I don't understand how leaving the EU is meant to help achieve this????

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 24, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.