Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Disgusted with the bashing of Brexit voters watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RF_PineMarten)
    For me, not wanting to be tied to a corrupt and power hungry organisation for the next 40 years or so (given that we probably won't have another chance for a generation) was a pretty compelling argument. The EU is only going one way and it's towards what they call "ever closer union".
    Maybe you could explain what's so corrupt about the EU? People keep insisting that they only serve the rich, and then when you point out the £millions invested into the poorest parts of the country, and the legislation which is almost all in favour of protecting the rights and welfare of the poor and vulnerable, and you ask how this serves the rich, they suddenly go quiet...

(Original post by Everglow)
    Capped borders meaning we can manage immigration in the same way we manage it for the rest of the world beyond the EU;
    34% of EU immigrants are university educated, compared to 22% non-EU immigrants.

EU immigrants contribute over 30% more in tax than they take out in services and welfare. Non-EU immigrants contribute about 2% (and British natives are net takers).

Yep, we'll clearly be better off managing EU immigration the same way we manage it for the rest of the world! Maybe we can cut down the proportion of educated immigrants to 20%! Hopefully we'll be able to bring down their net input to a similar level, too!! Sick of EU immigrants bringing in too much money!

the ability to trade directly with the biggest economies in the world like China, Brazil and the US.
    We already have. The EU is negotiating TTIP with the US (no, contrary to leave lies, it won't affect the NHS - the EU are negotiating amendments to protect public services, while our current government is willing to accept it as is). We can trade with whoever we want, it's a myth/lie that we can't. We just have a trade deal with the EU, which benefits us immensely, hence why 40% of our exports go to the EU.

ReputationRep:
    Well what do you expect people to say? 'Well done'

ReputationRep:
    Many of the elderly voters in my local care home did a postal vote. All of which voting out. By today 3 of them have passed on (RIP). At least their vote meant the same as an 18 year old

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    Wtf do you think we should've done instead?
    Not had a referendum.

We elect a government because most people are unable or unwilling to understand all the complex issues in modern politics, as the referendum demonstrated perfectly. Most people have no business making decisions about international law and trade.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Why doesn't everyone stop whining about the result and get on with it. The FTSE 100 has rallied now only down by 2.3% (For those saying they'res going to be a financial crisis. The french and German markets fell twice as much as ours showing their dependence on us. Of course we will get trade deals, they need the trade more than we do. Very happy with the result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    We elect a government who act on the will of the people. Saying we shouldn't have had a referendum is as stupid as saying 'we shouldn't have elections at all because people aren't informed enough on politics to know which party would genuinely be best for the country.' The reason we had a referendum is because it was part of David Cameron's election manifesto, which is why people voted for him. We had a referendum because this is a democracy where we use democratic processes, something you clearly don't understand.
    No, you don't understand. The referendum was the very rare exception. Do you see many other referendums? No, you don't, because that's not how our government works. We live in a representative democracy, where people vote for a party based on their ideology and policies, and then the party runs the country. The vast majority of people aren't qualified to make these decisions, and that's why they don't get to make them.

Also, a decision being the result of democratic process doesn't mean it's a good one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Something being democratic doesn't mean it's good.

Of course people are upset that they're forced to accept huge, irreversible, already damaging change because of a tiny majority, many of whom based their votes on lies and misinformation. Our economy has already been damaged, and that's entirely the fault of the people that voted for this.
    Based on lies??are you actually serious? Based on all of the lies dav cam told to try and scare people into remaining, the margin between remain and leave was much smaller than it should have been. The remain side seemed to think scaremongering was okay.
    And forecasts are not lies. When someone says they can't gurantee something, it does not mean it is a lie.
    The economy will be just fine as soon as it settles down. And it would appear that we are not the only country smart enough to realise what is right as France, Italy and Holland are now trying to get referendums on the Euro membership.
    The Eu will collapse soon.

ReputationRep:
    Capped borders meaning we can manage immigration in the same way we manage it for the rest of the world beyond the EU; an end to the bureaucratic and undemocratic rule of the oligarchy in Brussels; the ability to trade directly with the biggest economies in the world like China, Brazil and the US.

There's just 3 reasons for you.
    Please explain precisely how immigration has directly negatively affected you? Immigration is good for the economy, the problems that people blame on immigration (pressure on housing, education, jobs, etc) are caused by the policies of the incumbent government, not immigration itself.

The argument against the EU is nonsensical. If we want to trade with the EU we have to abide by the same regulations made by the "oligarchy in Brussels", we now just can't influence those regulations.

Oh, and Obama himself said a trade deal with America would not be a priority (and rightly so from an American perspective) so that's not likely to happen any time soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09craige)
    Based on lies??are you actually serious? Based on all of the lies dav cam told to try and scare people into remaining, the margin between remain and leave was much smaller than it should have been. The remain side seemed to think scaremongering was okay.
    And forecasts are not lies. When someone says they can't gurantee something, it does not mean it is a lie.
    The economy will be just fine as soon as it settles down. And it would appear that we are not the only country smart enough to realise what is right as France, Italy and Holland are now trying to get referendums on the Euro membership.
    Which lies did David Cameron tell? I'll give you 3 from the leave campaign for every one you can give me.

Where did I say forecasts are lies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alba2013)
    You are obviously entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. I feel the Brexiters deserve all the bashing they're getting and more.
    I voted for leave, and I would never hold something personal against somebody because they cast a vote to remain, even if we remained. I'd disagree with the decision, but I respect the person.

All you're showing is that you think it's acceptable to denigrate people that voted a certain way simply because you disagree with them on an issue.

I assure you that there are sound arguments for choosing either to remain or to leave.

What were your main reason for leaving?

ReputationRep:
    I am disgusted by the amount of mocking and bashing coming from the Remain voters towards the Leave ones. Ranging from claims that we must be retarded and uneducated to claims that we all lick the arses of Nigel Farage and Donald Trump, many of the Remain voters have demonstrated a truly ugly side to themselves.

Brexit is fundamentally democratic, whether you like it or not. Berating those who didn't vote the same way of you is nothing short of ad-hominem childishness. People don't know how to handle Brexit, so they simply label Brexit voters as fascist, racist, xenophobic retards who only care about national pride and kicking out immigrants. There seems to be a notion that only old people voted Leave as well. What a load of horse ****.

If you voted for Remain - fine; but don't assume it's your right to bash and insult Brexit voters as well as jumping to associate them all with the likes of Farage, Trump and Putin etc. Everyone on social media is sharing that video from Good Morning Britain where Farage says he cant promise £350m p/week will be sent to the NHS. Farage is not the PM or the chancellor; whatever he says bears no true value. Yet for some reason everyone is seeing him as the Leave representative who speaks for us all. Rubbish.

This was a fair and democratic result, so please try to keep that in mind before you go demanding another referendum because the margin between the two votes wasn't wide enough for you. Democracy doesn't exist just to please the left-wing.

Brexit had compelling arguments. You might not agree with me on that, but clearly I and millions of others around the UK felt the same. We might not have voted it for the same reason(s), but we all shared the common ground in believing that the EU does not, on aggregate, serve the UK's best interests.

Disagreeing with people is one thing; berating, mocking and insulting them is another. Please don't be one of the ***** who attacks others for having different views. It's so paradoxic for liberals on the left wing to be attacking others for using their democratic right to vote.
    Woah there. Putin and Farage are both saints of my local Buddhist sect, the Temple of Atom. I agree with them too, Putin and Farage are two of the most incredible people I've ever seen. A leader's duty is to defend the interests of his people yet I've never seen or heard of anyone besides Putin, Trump and Farage who understand and follow this. Trump has yet to prove that he's genuine but Putin and Farage certainly have.

You won't think badly of Putin after you see this. He took the time to visit a factory and yell at the owners in person in order to save a couple of thousand Russians' jobs. Most politicians wouldn't even care. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjrlTMvirVo

ReputationRep:
    Which lies did David Cameron tell? I'll give you 3 from the leave campaign for every one you can give me.

Where did I say forecasts are lies?
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...n-told-6211553

Just saying, this is from someone who is a conservative supporter and wanted David Cameron to be prime minister

ReputationRep:
    Something being democratic doesn't mean it's good.

Of course people are upset that they're forced to accept huge, irreversible, already damaging change because of a tiny majority, many of whom based their votes on lies and misinformation. Our economy has already been damaged, and that's entirely the fault of the people that voted for this.
    So you want it your way even though most of the people wanted brexit because you think you know better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fpmaniac)
    So you want it your way even though most of the people wanted brexit because you think you know better?
    I think? The UK lost £130b overnight, it has nothing to do with what I think.

ReputationRep:
    I think? The UK lost £130b overnight, it has nothing to do with what I think.
    Where did you hear that from?

Plus These short term losses are expected. People chose brexit for the long term possible gains.

ReputationRep:
    They deserve all their bashing. Complete idiots. I don't want to see them complaining when this country goes to **** in 2 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goam)
    Left wing politicians: don’t leave the EU
    Right wing politicians: don’t leave the EU
    The prime minister: don’t leave the EU
    Young people: don’t leave the EU
    Middle aged people: don’t leave the EU
    Healthcare, education and economic professionals: don’t leave the EU
    The entirety of Scotland: don’t leave the EU
    Europe: don’t leave the EU
    Obama: don’t leave the EU
    The rest of the ****ing world: don’t leave the EU

The 51.9%: sorry sweetie can’t hear u over the immigrants :bigsmile:
    Our future was decided by xenophobic old people who will die before seeing repercussions of their idiotic decision.

How stupid do you have to be to honestly believe a clear cut £350mil will go to the NHS and England will be financially stable?

Scotland will almost surely leave the UK and take their oil with them. Northern Ireland will rejoin Ireland (never thought I'd see the day). The EU will be very harsh on us when it comes to trading establishments. We're essentially going to bend over backwards to them except now we really do get 0 say in their laws.

Gj 51% of voters. Bravo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fpmaniac)
    Where did you hear that from?

Plus These short term losses are expected. People chose brexit for the long term possible gains.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...illion-8271767

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09craige)
    A couple of examples of the lies pedalled by mainstream media outles:
    http://infacts.org/brexit-press-repe...grant-stories/
    http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/discus...osed-by-the-eu

I find it hard to believe that at least some leave voters would not have based their decisions on such claims (why, even the Daily Mail editorial used the '60% of laws come from the EU' line). Ergo, many believe leave votes were made on false claims.

Yes, some Remain voters may have voted based on 'lies' (although the worst of the remain argument was OTT warnings) but, I believe, nowhere close to the volume of leave voters.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.