Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welshiee)
    Some of those, like Tim Berners-Lee, were around in the 90's and he still did fine without the EU.

Whether scientific research does well or not in the UK will depend on the government and the money it invests in the area, just as is the case with the USA, Japan and Russia - all of whom are pioneers when it comes to research. Incredible thought, isn't it?

The good thing is thanks to leaving the EU when the UK government underfunds this area you can now hold them to account and they have no excuse. You can thank us later for increasing your power.
    Funnily enough, Tim Berners-Lee developed the World Wide Web at CERN.

There are hundreds, or probably thousands, of scientists that wouldn't have done fine without the EU, but you're dismissing them because some did okay.

We could hold out government accountable for underfunding it... or we could have stayed with the EU who funded it adequately, and distributed the funding to where it could do the most good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elen90)
    Nice freshly picked cherry there.
    I don't think you understand what a cherry picking fallacy is. The point is, I set you up for your own stupid downfall as you're just too predictable.

Again, no one has actually argued the case and has instead just go on a ridiculous tirade. The great irony is that the UK was probably more of a pioneer in the world pre-EU than it has been since joining. Since joining, major players like America have dominated all over the place.

ReputationRep:
    No, no I didn't. You are reading into something that was not there. Heck, I never even said you were a Leave campaign supporter to begin with - though that was heavily implied.

Still hung up about it. Wait till you see what crawls up from under the woodworks. You think 1.7 million will collectively and publicly express their regret?

You pick at this 10% estimation because that's all you have. That's your only argument. Much like the Brexit campaign was restricted to a very narrow set of arguments.
    I quote from you "You're probably going to now try to criticise me for 'making up figures' but that would be rich if it came from a Leave campaign supporter, and unreasonable pedanticism" this heavily implies i am a Leave supporter. You then said that Leaves arguments were built upon lies ect heavily implying that my statements were therefore false. If that wasnt your meaning use less ambiguous words then.
    I pick at it because you used it as part of your argument with no source other than you 'estimated'.

ReputationRep:
    Do you believe there's some miracle biological change that goes on between the ages of 16 and 18 that causes someone to gain a heightened level of political omniscience? 16 year olds had all the right to vote given that this will profoundly affect them far more than the old generation, and I find it insulting when people suggest otherwise.

10% isn't a direct figure, but I estimate that it's higher than that. People that voted for it are coming out of the woodwork thinking... 'woops'. You're probably going to now try to criticise me for 'making up figures' but that would be rich if it came from a Leave campaign supporter, and unreasonable pedanticism given that it was clearly an estimation - and probably a conservative one at that.
    You can use the exact same logic to give the vote to 14 year olds, should we do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Funnily enough, Tim Berners-Lee developed the World Wide Web at CERN.

There are hundreds, or probably thousands, of scientists that wouldn't have done fine without the EU, but you're dismissing them because some did okay.

We could hold out government accountable for underfunding it... or we could have stayed with the EU who funded it adequately, and distributed the funding to where it could do the most good.
    Funding can and will still happen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welshiee)
    I don't think you understand what a cherry picking fallacy is. The point is, I set you up for your own stupid downfall as you're just too predictable.

Again, no one has actually argued the case and has instead just go on a ridiculous tirade. The great irony is that the UK was probably more of a pioneer in the world pre-EU than it has been since joining. Since joining, major players like America have dominated all over the place.
    One British person was pioneer in 90s. Therefore pioneers will forever continue to flourish under an isolated UK. - Your cherry picking fallacy, I'm afraid.

Don't pat yourself on the back for something you didn't do. No, wait - don't pat yourself on the back at all. You look incredibly conceited.

That's not how this works, that's not how any of this works, but I'm too tired to bother refuting your inane point. Quote me in later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    You can use the exact same logic to give the vote to 14 year olds, should we do that?
    Well, yes, I'm of the more radical opinion that voting should be extended to much younger age groups but that's a separate debate. Regardless, not allowing 16 year olds the vote is inexcusable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontVoteLabour)
    I quote from you "You're probably going to now try to criticise me for 'making up figures' but that would be rich if it came from a Leave campaign supporter, and unreasonable pedanticism" this heavily implies i am a Leave supporter. You then said that Leaves arguments were built upon lies ect heavily implying that my statements were therefore false. If that wasnt your meaning use less ambiguous words then.
    I pick at it because you used it as part of your argument with no source other than you 'estimated'.
    :facepalm:

I said I heavily implied that you were a Leave supporter. Go back and read my post and think about what you've done.

I refuse to break this down further for the likes of someone such as yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    if you want to blame anyone blame 18-24 year olds less than 1 in 4 could be bothered to vote.
    I couldn't be bothered but I was going to vote leave anyway

ReputationRep:
    Well, yes, I'm of the more radical opinion that voting should be extended to much younger age groups but that's a separate debate. Regardless, not allowing 16 year olds the vote is inexcusable.
    Why? I don't have a strong opinion either way, but so far your only reasoning is "16 is basically 18".

ReputationRep:
    Funding can and will still happen
    Not to the same extent, and it won't be as effective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsphysics91)
    As a UK science student I voted out because I wanted to de-cuck myself from the EU
    Me too.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

I said I heavily implied that you were a Leave supporter. Go back and read my post and think about what you've done.

I refuse to break this down further for the likes of someone such as yourself.
    Ok i accept that I misread this and you did concede that you did heavily imply it.
    Still doesnt justify making up statistica to justify false claims lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Why? I don't have a strong opinion either way, but so far your only reasoning is "16 is basically 18".
    No, my reasoning is that 16 year olds are in the demographic that will most likely be hit the most and therefore should have a say in the outcome of this referendum.

My reasoning for not extending the vote to ages lower than 16 is because no one would ever come to terms with it, because apparently political awareness only starts with late adolescence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    if you want to blame anyone blame 18-24 year olds less than 1 in 4 could be bothered to vote.
    Nice made up stat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Not to the same extent, and it won't be as effective.
    It can happen to the same extent. Leave leaders have already promised not to alter science funding till 2020. The only reason it would be to a lesser extent would be due to the EU itself. It can be even more effective as we are now able to choose where to channel the research money. If we decide the EU's science is the best option we simply keep giving them the money.

ReputationRep:
    It can happen to the same extent. Leave leader have already promised not to alter science funding till 2020. The only reason it would be to a lesser extent would be due to the EU itself. It can be even more effective as we are now able to choose where to channel the research money. If we decide the EU's science is the best option we simply keep giving them the money.
    Which leader? Farage, who admitted to advertising blatant lies this morning? Cameron who just resigned? Boris, who didn't even want to leave in the first place, he just swooped in to become the next PM? Or Michael "I've had enough of experts" Gove?

ReputationRep:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingd...y_top_british/

I work in a lab at King's College London and there was a weird vibe in the department today. About 2/3rds of the people in the lab are not UK born, and some of the brightest people in the lab are worried about continuing to study and work in the UK.There is nothing intrinsically good about being British, and if more people understood the implications of making immigration harder for these kinds of people, who work in fields such as science, I don't think we'd see the result we saw today.
    This made me genuinely sad.

Of course, as with everything else, the Brexiteers know best.

ReputationRep:
    Do you believe there's some miracle biological change that goes on between the ages of 16 and 18 that causes someone to gain a heightened level of political omniscience? 16 year olds had all the right to vote given that this will profoundly affect them far more than the old generation, and I find it insulting when people suggest otherwise.
    You're assuming older people don't vote for what they think will serve the country best, most of them probably do care and feel just as much targets of the consequences, the passion wouldn't be there otherwise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsphysics91)
    As a UK science student I voted out because I wanted to de-cuck myself from the EU

peasant.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.