Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bring the country together by having a SECOND REFERENDUM to be DOUBLY certain Watch

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people wanting leave take the same line of thinking that Nigel Farage did, who on the night of the results in his first talk to the press, said he would want a second referendum if the result came to 52:48 and accused it of being rigged based on longer registration times on the government website for the vote.

With that I take what the leave people say about democracy with a pinch of salt, I accept the decision, however I have every right to criticise it and every right to point out that the arguments for leave were based upon lies which have to this day been backtracked, and yes that does make me salty in terms of my feelings. Because fundamentally, it upsets me that a nation which has a proud history based on reasoned thought has taken so careless and irrational a choice in mine, and 48.1% of the countries view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrMackyTv)
    But you can't guarantee it based on that data, therefore it's purely speculation.
    What are you talking about? Previous elections show that ethnic minorities turn out in lower numbers.

I can either believe, years of data prior to this election and other ones, or your account of talking to random Indian ppl.

Well, can we calm down? It is not going to stay like this forever, it has gone up a bit now and it should stabilise soon. I know people voted Remain are pissed off but if I saw the outcome as Remain I would just look at it on the positive side. People need to be a bit more optimistic
    Stabilise soon? LOL.

You must be using the same logic that made you think that Remain would have led to a plunge in the value of the pound.

Nothing will be stable for a while whilst negotiations occur. Better to put your money into Gold and etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    I think a lot of the sadness etc etc is related to the fact that many people cannot believe that the nation really is against the EU...

So, to bring the nation to its senses, and bring it together lets have another referendum to be DOUBLY sure...

This time perhaps allow 16 and 17 year olds to vote (as per Scotland) and this time everyone will know its SERIOUS and not a joke.

Sign the on-line petition (in other thread or here:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

And come to parliament square to demostrate
    I see. So you don't like the result, and think we need to be 'sure' of getting the right result by trying to manipulate the results in your favour... what exactly do you find 'uncertain' about 52% of British voters choosing Leave? Most of the British electorate want to leave the EU, get over it. It's democracy, plain and simple. A majority of people want something and so it happens. What do you find so funny about this 'joke'? Why are people's opinions a 'joke' just because they do not agree with your own?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    What are you talking about? Previous elections show that ethnic minorities turn out in lower numbers.

I can either believe, years of data prior to this election and other ones, or your account of talking to random Indian ppl.

Stabilise soon? LOL.

You must be using the same logic that made you think that Remain would have led to a plunge in the value of the pound.

Nothing will be stable for a while whilst negotiations occur. Better to put your money into Gold and etc.
    Lol what is with you and Indian people. I have talked to other ethnicity groups as well lmao.

It is gaining ground for goodness sake I give up with you! xD Blimin' heck, acting like a recession just happened.

ReputationRep:
    Lol what is with you and Indian people. I have talked to other ethnicity groups as well lmao.

It is gaining ground for goodness sake I give up with you! xD Blimin' heck, acting like a recession just happened.
    Lol. Gaining ground. It moved up for half a day and then dropped again at the end. Sounds like a wonderful gain after a 10% drop. No one with a brain is going to touch the pound for the time being.

ReputationRep:
    The exact same would happen if there was a Remain vote. You still think a second referendum is needed?

EDIT: And actually. It's not only that but the referendum itself has caused instability. The Tories and Labour are split parties, the EU referendum has highlighted these differences within these parties and has led to clashes between people in their own party. You can't just use the Leave vote as a scapegoat for something like that.
    dont be an idiot - there would be nothing liek the current chaos if we had remained- it would have been effectivlety status quoe in the markets, if not, a rising market. currently brexit voters have caused chaos- whch im sure they mischeivously find quite amusing, but the cold facts are in the banking share market alone, 6 billion pounds of public owned bank assets have been wiped out - which would have come in handy for public services. i wonder if the north of england and midlands should be 1st in the list for the ineveitable future cuts that are to come - so they can revel in their actions.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Chakede)
    dont be an idiot - there would be nothing liek the current chaos if we had remained- it would have been effectivlety status quoe in the markets, if not, a rising market. currently brexit voters have caused chaos- whch im sure they mischeivously find quite amusing, but the cold facts are in the banking share market alone, 6 billion pounds of public owned bank assets have been wiped out - which would have come in handy for public services. i wonder if the north of england and midlands should be 1st in the list for the ineveitable future cuts that are to come - so they can revel in their actions.
    When I was talking about chaos I was refering to the parties being split and leader troubles. The finance markets are always volatile and what people forget to mention is the pound sterling was much lower than it is currently in February. That's what happens when you have a biased government broadcasting channel called the BBC.

Places such as the midlands are in need of investment, if they make cuts to investment then they should only expect more revolt. Most people voted to leave because they are sick and tired of not being listened to by lovely Westminster. Why do you think London voted overwhelmingly remain? They would vote that because of course they are happy as that's where all the money is. This country is too centralised, at this moment London might as well become a city-state because it has left the rest of the country crumbling. However, the current government have been investing lately into places such as the midlands and their devolution plan should help get more investment. But these cities having their own mayors (next year) and the current government making cuts in those cities isn't really going to help them.

ReputationRep:
    When I was talking about chaos I was refering to the parties being split and leader troubles. The finance markets are always volatile and what people forget to mention is the pound sterling was much lower than it is currently in February. That's what happens when you have a biased government broadcasting channel called the BBC.
    the uk would not be without a prime minster in couple of months time and the oppostion without a cabinet if the vote was to remain in eu. the £ is current on a ten year low so i dont know wtf you are talking about. talking to a brexit voter about financial markets is probably the the most pointless exercise known to man

Places such as the midlands are in need of investment, if they make cuts to investment then they should only expect more revolt. Most people voted to leave because they are sick and tired of not being listened to by lovely Westminster. Why do you think London voted overwhelmingly remain? They would vote that because of course they are happy as that's where all the money is. This country is too centralised, at this moment London might as well become a city-state because it has left the rest of the country crumbling. However, the current government have been investing lately into places such as the midlands and their devolution plan should help get more investment. But these cities having their own mayors (next year) and the current government making cuts in those cities isn't really going to help them.
    hence the ignorance to think leaving the EU will reverse what ever economic issues they feel they have in their regions. welcome to stupid 'logic' of the brexit voter. EU funding and eu subsidised employers were farmed out all over uks most deprived areas over and above what came from london - now thats all gone. more cuts all over the place is the inevitable consequence of leaving the investment generating eu single market - everyone knew that (except it seems the geniuses of brexit ) we can only hope the biggest cuts are reserved for those regions that wanted out the most. p
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    the uk would not be without a prime minster in couple of months time and the oppostion without a cabinet if the vote was to remain in eu. the £ is current on a ten year low so i dont know wtf you are talking about. talking to a brexit voter about financial markets is probably the the most pointless exercise known to man
    I think even if Remain won like Leave did by a slight majority, I still think there would be unfinished business within parties. Labour isn't unstable because of the remain vote, it is unstable because of their leadership.

"I don't know wtf you are talking about" - you do know. In February the GBP to USD was low, I'm not going to point it out to you like a baby since you believe you're such an expert in this.

As I said, there's no need to panic, we aren't going to have a long-period of recession and the government is going to increase taxes and make cuts. Even the BBC have said nothing will be happening to taxes or child benefits. So can we please calm down?

hence the ignorance to think leaving the EU will reverse what ever economic issues they feel they have in their regions. welcome to stupid 'logic' of the brexit voter. more cuts all over the place is the inevitable consequence of leaving the investment generating eu single market - everyone knew that (except it seems the geniuses of brexit ) we can only hope the biggest cuts are reserved for those regions that wanted out the most. p
    That's for the government and the new PM to decide. Again you're calling the shots too early. The government has not yet made a statement yet on any cuts to anything or increasing taxes of any kind. The common Remain voter (you) always exaggerate the consequences of leaving and they only ever look at it in the short-term rather than looking forward into the long-term, and that is what the Remain campaign has failed on, which is looking into the long-term. Hence the reason why I chose to back the Leave campaign as it was less scaremongering and it looked towards the long-term effects of things which will effect my generation.

ReputationRep:
    I think even if Remain won like Leave did by a slight majority, I still think there would be unfinished business within parties. Labour isn't unstable because of the remain vote, it is unstable because of their leadership.

"I don't know wtf you are talking about" - you do know. In February the GBP to USD was low, I'm not going to point it out to you like a baby since you believe you're such an expert in this.

As I said, there's no need to panic, we aren't going to have a long-period of recession and the government is going to increase taxes and make cuts. Even the BBC have said nothing will be happening to taxes or child benefits. So can we please calm down?

That's for the government and the new PM to decide. Again you're calling the shots too early. The government has not yet made a statement yet on any cuts to anything or increasing taxes of any kind. The common Remain voter (you) always exaggerate the consequences of leaving and they only ever look at it in the short-term rather than looking forward into the long-term, and that is what the Remain campaign has failed on, which is looking into the long-term. Hence the reason why I chose to back the Leave campaign as it was less scaremongering and it looked towards the long-term effects of things which will effect my generation.
    leave campaign had no view on long term economic position- they were asked numerous times for a forecast and plan of action post exit and came up with nothing let alone any favourable economic forecast from any respected bodies . they campaigned purely on the xenophobe and ' claim our country back' dimwit propaganda. the shock is that is all it took to get 51% of vote.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    leave campaign had no view on log term economic position- they were asked numerous times for a forecast and plan of action post exit and came up with nothing let alone any favourable economic forecast from any respected bodies . they campaigned purely on the xenophobe and ' claim our country back' dimwit propaganda. the shock is that is all it took to get 51% of vote.
    Yes they did actually. But they can't guarantee it, as do the Remain campaign, that any of their policies will be implemented by the current government.

The Remain campaign were asked several times about David Cameron's (crappy) renegotiation and what controls did he get for immigration. "Well, when they first come they can't claim benefits for 6 months, they have to put in before they take out" - sorry, that's a nice policy but that's not an immigration control policy. Don't deny and act like the Remain campaign hasn't given tit for tat, if not more, than the Leave campaign.

"Favourable economic forecasts from any respected bodies" - who are these "respected bodies"? Economists? Give me a source that says economists don't back Brexit, do not give me the Observer survey on economists or else I will lose my patience with you.

In what way is it xenophobic to want to control your borders? A country has every right to control their borders and not be dictated by those headless chickens in Brussels. "Take back control" - tell me how that gives you a suggestion that the leave campaign is being racist or xenophobic. This is what I am sick and tired of hearing the Remain campaign saying. No offence, don't mean to generalise, but the Remainers are just filled with opportunist, humanitarian, lefties who calls anyone racist if they want to control their own borders, sorry, but I'm pretty sure by definition this is called ignorance. Why don't you just stop assuming that all Leavers are xenophobic or racist and actually think with your brain to see why they may have voted in that way? That could be to rebel against Westminster, may be because of their own reasons such as a business they own and they are suffering as a result of EU membership. I can admit it now, yes all racists are Leavers but not all Leavers are racist, stop fuelling this ignorance further by claiming the whole campaign and their supporters are racists or xenophobes, just stop it for goodness sake.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    And by the way, it was 52% of the country who voted to leave. If you are that OTT then that figure is more precisely 51.9% (do you want me to be even more precise?).

ReputationRep:
    Yes they did actually. But they can't guarantee it, as do the Remain campaign, that any of their policies will be implemented by the current government.
    they didnt actually offer anything - that could stand up to any scrutiny - they knew this so offered nothing commital. they only offerd meaningless moronic slogans -'lets take our country back' - which in normalcy whould not get anyone anywhere - which is why there was a lot of complacency that in the end , remain would win. its a shock to the world that pure xenophobia and ignorance has won a vote in the western world. the last time that happened dare i say it was 1933 germany.

In what way is it xenophobic to want to control your borders? A country has every right to control their borders and not be dictated by those headless chickens in Brussels. "Take back control" - tell me how that gives you a suggestion that the leave campaign is being racist or xenophobic. T
    rights to borders is not xenophobc no, im saying the xenophobic of the uk latched on to this campaign to satate their base agenda ie we hate foreigners. these retards hate every foreigner that came he legally without the help of the eu thats doing a job these idiots could never dream of being able to do. this is the level of stupidity i am talking about.##
    ultimatley the entire uk will suffer far more economically from leaving to satisfy some racists . the remain voters knew this- the brexits will take longer to figure this out but eventually it will become apparent to them too
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    they didnt actually offer anything - that could stand up to any scrutiny - they knew this so offered nothing commital. they only offerd meaningless moronic slogans -'lets take our country back' - which in normalcy whould not get anyone anywhere - which is why there was a lot of complacency that in the end , remain would win. its a shock to the world that pure xenophobia and ignorance has won a vote in the western world. the last time that happened dare i say it was 1933 germany.

rights to borders is not xenophobc no, im saying the xenophobic of the uk latched on to this campaign to satate their base agenda ie we hate foreigners. these retards hate every foreigner that came he legally without the help of the eu thats doing a job these idiots could never dream of being able to do. this is the level of stupidity i am talking about.##
    ultimatley the entire uk will suffer far more economically from leaving to satisfy some racists . the remain voters knew this- the brexits will take longer to figure this out but eventually it will become apparent to them too
    You haven't replied to me back on the "favourable economists" point.

Their campaign was not driven on xenophobia or racism at all. The UKIP poster without a doubt was, but the Leave campaign wasn't. The Leave campaign are completely different to UKIP as they are made up of supporters from a range of political parties.

You and me know that the majority of the 52% of the people who voted to Leave the UK are not racist. I think what the Remain campaign has failed on is to answer the problem on controlling immigration. But also because of their very negative campaign about the economy, they dare not mentioned about the long-term of the economy within the EU, people have mentioned to them about the Eurozone having bailout all the time and us paying for that.

It is not pure xenophobia and racism that has won the vote and I think you are totally exaggerating by saying that you have never seen this since "1933 germany" - I have studied 1933 Germany and this situation is completely different to the situation that happened in. The reason why xenophobia and racism was very high there (which it already was anyways around the world including here in Britain) is because of the Treaty of Versailles and how much it damaged Germany as a result. It has nothing to do with being in a political union calling it the EU. You are just saying that out of pure conjecture and exaggeration.

As I said before, xenophobia and racism wasn't why vote Leave won. It was because people did it out of revolt of Westminster and people are sick and tired of the government.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.