The Student Room Group

Postgrad Speech & Language Therapy 2017 Entry (PG Dip/MSc)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'm there on the 7th! Do you have any idea what kind of questions they could ask? I was thinking that it would be more an understanding of the role?
Reply 41
Hey everyone;

Hate to give out bad news. But I think they are most likely going to introduce postgraduate loans for the MSC's in speech and language therapy.

I've just looked on City's website, they have updated their information. They are going to offer a full time and a part time study mode for the MSC speech and language therapy. Full time would be one year (equivalent to two days a week) plus another year for the dissertation and the part time mode will be for 3 years all together.

The full time course will cost around 7 grand and part time would cost over 3 grand. Though they would need to confirm fees for the next academic year.
Reply 42
Oh my gosh!

I totally read from the wrong course!!!!!

Totally IGNORE what I posted in my last post.
Reply 43
Original post by freshstart1234
I'm at Greenwich on the 15th. I didn't really know where to start so I've been practicing writing to a set time and focussing my ideas on communication and the role of an SLT.

Which day are you there?

I'm there on the 7th! Good luck!
Original post by Beth.J
I'm there on the 7th! Do you have any idea what kind of questions they could ask? I was thinking that it would be more an understanding of the role?

I think that might be the area of questioning also. It might just be wishful thinking on my part as I've been practicing my answers on the subject :smile:. Good luck!
Original post by Beth.J
I'm there on the 7th! Good luck!

How did it go!?
Original post by rainbowworld
Ah okay, what are you doing in london atm, are you working or still studying? Well home for me is Southampton so looking at Reading and UCL as they are the closest. I think I might also apply for City but that would probably be bottom of my list as I really want to get a masters from it too. I would probably move out from home but would like to be able to go back weekends, possibly do a Mon-fri rent in London/Reading. I went to the Reading open day too, but from the open days I prefered UCL.

I know, yeah it is frustrating. I'm hopeful we will know more soon - don't really want to spend £75 to apply to UCL if we still don't know what's happening by that point!
Yeah I think so too. I think the course will go by so fast anyway as everyone will be so busy!

Have you made any start on your personal statement yet? The idea of writing it is worrying me, think I'll make a start when I have time off in the Summer!

Hey!
Sorry for the late reply - it's been a very busy summer! I'm working at the moment and I've had previous experience working in a SEN school, caring for children with CP and working in an autistic unit.
I'm haven't started my personal statement and I'm super nervous about it! How's yours coming along?
Also any updates on funding you're aware of?
Original post by SarcasticQueen
Hey!
Sorry for the late reply - it's been a very busy summer! I'm working at the moment and I've had previous experience working in a SEN school, caring for children with CP and working in an autistic unit.
I'm haven't started my personal statement and I'm super nervous about it! How's yours coming along?
Also any updates on funding you're aware of?

ooh sounds good! I'm just back to work this week which is weird!
I did start it but still so much to do, it's very early stages. I've got people lined up to read it though so must get a move on! I would advise to just start and from then on it gets easier!
Not since what I posted on the first page, but I haven't checked recently to be honest, was just so happy it was being funded I forgot to check back for more details!*
ooh sounds good! I'm just back to work this week which is weird!
I did start it but still so much to do, it's very early stages. I've got people lined up to read it though so must get a move on! I would advise to just start and from then on it gets easier!
Not since what I posted on the first page, but I haven't checked recently to be honest, was just so happy it was being funded I forgot to check back for more details!*

That's really great you've started! Motivating me to start too! I have a few people who offered to read the statement for me too, so I should definitely get a start on that.

You mentioned earlier you're working as a SLT assistant? How's that going?
I'm looking into the postgrad courses right now, obviously funding could all change before we know it but it's seriously my biggest worry. I don't mind taking out more loans but how I'd afford to live (pay rent for example!) I have no idea! Does anybody here know of anyone who has done the course and how they funded their life?! I just can't see how it's possible!
Original post by SarcasticQueen
That's really great you've started! Motivating me to start too! I have a few people who offered to read the statement for me too, so I should definitely get a start on that.

You mentioned earlier you're working as a SLT assistant? How's that going?

That's good you have people to read it :smile: I just really want mine done by the end of the month as deadline for Reading is 1st November (I think) and I want to give my referees a few weeks to do my reference as they have to be submitted before the deadline too for Reading I think! I haven't even asked one of my referees yet! Time is going very quickly!!

Yes! My job is great, I love it :smile: I'm running language groups this term and have to teach another assistant how to do it and run parent workshops, give advice to parents, etc! I've only done one set of groups before (alongside a therapist) so did not expect to run them this time but looking forward to the challenge too, lots of opportunity to develop skills. Only went back last week (work term time only) so have just been doing lots of admin/training, not seen any children yet so looking forward to that! We are really down on therapists though at the moment, due to budget cuts etc, which is making things a bit tricky!
Original post by kellylouise1992
I'm looking into the postgrad courses right now, obviously funding could all change before we know it but it's seriously my biggest worry. I don't mind taking out more loans but how I'd afford to live (pay rent for example!) I have no idea! Does anybody here know of anyone who has done the course and how they funded their life?! I just can't see how it's possible!

So 2017 entry is going to be funded by grants, then 2018 onwards will be loans. The loans (and grant) will offer a part for maintenance (probably in the region of 3,000-7,000 depending on your financial situation, where you study etc) in addition to paying the fees . However, I would suggest that unless you live at home with parents or something then that will not cover all of your living costs - however this probably depends on your situation. I'm planning on saving a bit up before I start as they've said there is no time to work during the course. However, talking to students there they said a very small amount of work is possible (e.g. babysitting). Personally I'm considering possibly commuting from home, as rent alone will probably take up all of the grant or loan, however commuting is also expensive and takes up a lot of time. I would advise to get saving now really, but it's difficult to save enough to cover the two years! I would also be interested to hear stories from others - might be worth asking in the 2016 or 2015 threads so people who have already got places are more likely to reply.
Reply 52
Does anyone know the deadline to apply for the PostGraduate Course at UCL?

Just went on their website and realised that you can apply for the upcoming 2017/2018 PostGrad course. I haven't started my personal statement!
Reply 53
That's good you have people to read it :smile: I just really want mine done by the end of the month as deadline for Reading is 1st November (I think) and I want to give my referees a few weeks to do my reference as they have to be submitted before the deadline too for Reading I think! I haven't even asked one of my referees yet! Time is going very quickly!!

Yes! My job is great, I love it :smile: I'm running language groups this term and have to teach another assistant how to do it and run parent workshops, give advice to parents, etc! I've only done one set of groups before (alongside a therapist) so did not expect to run them this time but looking forward to the challenge too, lots of opportunity to develop skills. Only went back last week (work term time only) so have just been doing lots of admin/training, not seen any children yet so looking forward to that! We are really down on therapists though at the moment, due to budget cuts etc, which is making things a bit tricky!

REFERENCES?!!

Do we need our references to write up something about us?

I'm utterly confused about this whole process.
Original post by Adesola
Does anyone know the deadline to apply for the PostGraduate Course at UCL?

Just went on their website and realised that you can apply for the upcoming 2017/2018 PostGrad course. I haven't started my personal statement!

Yes it's friday the 18th of November, a bit later this year than usual!
Original post by Adesola
REFERENCES?!!

Do we need our references to write up something about us?

I'm utterly confused about this whole process.

Yes, you need two. They say they prefer two academic referees (well UCL and Reading did), however I'm going to use (hopefully) one academic one from my undergrad degree (which I did a few years ago so is a little outdated) and a current one from my work from one of the SLT's I work with. Some unis require references to also be completed by the deadline, some give the deadline as the deadline for your application and allow references to be submitted up to a couple of weeks after that. It depends what system they use really - some universities contact your referees themselves through the email address you provide while others expect you to contact them and add them onto the application yourself (I think).

If you have any other questions I might be able to help. Have you been to any open days/ evenings? They normally explain the process at those.
Reply 56
Yes, you need two. They say they prefer two academic referees (well UCL and Reading did), however I'm going to use (hopefully) one academic one from my undergrad degree (which I did a few years ago so is a little outdated) and a current one from my work from one of the SLT's I work with. Some unis require references to also be completed by the deadline, some give the deadline as the deadline for your application and allow references to be submitted up to a couple of weeks after that. It depends what system they use really - some universities contact your referees themselves through the email address you provide while others expect you to contact them and add them onto the application yourself (I think).

If you have any other questions I might be able to help. Have you been to any open days/ evenings? They normally explain the process at those.

Thanks Rainbow! They've failed to mention this to me at the open dasy!..Do the references actually have to write up something about you?

I've been to the Open day at City and UCL, but that's it. I'm going to be working at a school and have something lined up to shadow a speech and language therapist. Could I ask them? I could also ask my tutor lecture, though my degree is entirely in a different field to speech and language therapy, so my tutor may be very confused.

Also; I know the entry requirements to be considered for the postgrad is a 2:1...but do they mention whether they would consider someone with a high or low 2:1?
Reply 57
Yes it's friday the 18th of November, a bit later this year than usual!

I think City's deadline is in January...could be totally wrong !
Original post by Adesola
I think City's deadline is in January...could be totally wrong !

Hey Adesola,

No you're not wrong, City's deadline is 15 Jan 2017!
Original post by Adesola
Thanks Rainbow! They've failed to mention this to me at the open dasy!..Do the references actually have to write up something about you?

I've been to the Open day at City and UCL, but that's it. I'm going to be working at a school and have something lined up to shadow a speech and language therapist. Could I ask them? I could also ask my tutor lecture, though my degree is entirely in a different field to speech and language therapy, so my tutor may be very confused.

Also; I know the entry requirements to be considered for the postgrad is a 2:1...but do they mention whether they would consider someone with a high or low 2:1?

What I understood from their talk at the Open Day (UCL), they do encourage people from different undergraduate degrees to apply. I know a girl who had a degree in politics, then went on to do SLT for her masters. So it's completely okay your degree isn't related! They want an academic reference because they want to make sure you can keep up with the academic requirements for the course. I think it would be okay to ask your tutor lecturer.

As for the other references, I think you should know them for about a year. I could be wrong, but I don't think a reference from someone you are shadowing will count as they want the person who is filling out your reference to know a little about your work ethic etc.

They don't specify whether it needs to be a high or low 2:1. I think it's okay to say that you'll be okay as long as you have a 2:1.

Hope this help! Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending