Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

who else is disgusted by young peoples attitude to the referendum? Watch

ReputationRep:
    and the 16 and 17 year olds are pissed off bc we couldn't vote in the first place. this will have a catastrophic effect on our generation, and we have every right to be annoyed about it.

ReputationRep:
    looooool suck it up and get over it - that is called CHANGE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Razamataz666)
    after seeing all the calls for a new referendum and the outcry against the DEMOCRATICALLY decided election, especially, if not exclusively, from vocal young people i cant help but be disgusted at my generations lack of common sense and decency.

Saying that because we will deal with consequences longest only we should vote makes me sick. Saying that those who fought for the freedom to have this decision 70 years ago shouldn't have the RIGHT to VOTE is disgusted and highlights two things about our generation. We are ungrateful and cant take a hit. so anyone who actually believes in this nonsense of a statement i ask you one question, should you have the right to deny democracy to those who fought for that very thing? and if so why?
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    If the 18-25 year olds actually did give a stuff they would have actually showed up on the day? Where were they? Probably out getting drunk or recovering from a hangover
    Apparently only 34% of 18-24 year olds turned up to vote.

But it is unfair to them, the electoral commission knew young people would be at Glastonbury or the euro games so remain would have won if they picked a different date, it's wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester_123)

But it is unfair to them, the electoral commission knew young people would be at Glastonbury or the euro games so remain would have won if they picked a different date, it's wrong.
    I was just thinking that this morning, that the timing has been rather unusual and almost coincidental. It's almost as if someone didn't want young people to have a say...

ReputationRep:
    I'm comforted by the the fact that the old Brexiters will die out soon enough, so even though we'll have to deal with the mess they left behind, we won't have to deal with them directly. Small respite, but it's something.

ReputationRep:

Postal vote?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Razamataz666)
    probably not thus proving, to me, that our generation is far too pampered and quite frankly needs a kick up the backside.
    Name:  16g71m.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  66.6 KB

Can't understand what you mean due to unnecessary, confusing diction.

ReputationRep:
    Why is immigration within the EU a bad thing? Sure they take up jobs but isn't that a sign they're just better qualified for them than the unemployed people who endlessly whine?

In fact, Japan would love a big influx of working immigrants to solve their ageing population. We may be in the same position in the future if we can't solve this problem that many first world countries will/are face(ing). Sure, there are illegal immigrants but is leaving the EU going to solve that? We can't build wall and shoot every boat we see coming to the UK, we aren't American.

ReputationRep:
    i did not vote because ( please select one or more from list )

i) i cba

ii) nobody told me

iii) not sure how this pencil thing works yeah ?

iv) busy playing with XBOX/Playstation/myself

v) it won't have any effect on me

vi) i was at Glasto/Women's Hockey/Euro footie/parents' villa in Portugal

vii) my mate said only nerds voted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    i did not vote because ( please select one or more from list )

i) i cba

ii) nobody told me

iii) not sure how this pencil thing works yeah ?

iv) busy playing with XBOX/Playstation/myself

v) it won't have any effect on me

vi) i was at Glasto/Women's Hockey/Euro footie/parents' villa in Portugal

vii) my mate said only nerds voted
    You forgot an option: I didn't feel comfortable enough to make an informed decision because the only information I could get was people from both sides shoving their agendas down my throat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Graph)
    You forgot an option: I didn't feel comfortable enough to make an informed decision because the only information I could get was people from both sides shoving their agendas down my throat.
    do you think that the 17,410,742 Leave Voters made an informed decision ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    do you think that the 17,410,742 Leave Voters made an informed decision ?
    There are obviously voters on both sides that made uninformed decisions. This referendum was basically each side creating a stereotype for those who disagree (e.g. Remain voters calling all Leave voters old, white, racists, etc.) and using that as a reason to bash everyone who voted oppositely to them.

It's all just ridiculous to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Sick and tired of young people blaming the older generation.

Do you all think that they don't have any children and grandchildren? That they don't care at all what happens to them in the future?

They have seen how being in the EU has changed over the past 40 years or so. So stop throwing stupid tantrums about how they are not gonna live for long so they won't have to deal with the consequences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    I get your anger at the "only we should have the vote" line but the calls for another referendum I'd tell leave voters to get off their high horse because Farage said he'd do the exact same thing it remain won.
    No. He. Did. Not.

ReputationRep:

Over 1million young remain voters at Glastonbury or Euro Games eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ducky09)
    Sick and tired of young people blaming the older generation.

Do you all think that they don't have any children and grandchildren? That they don't care at all what happens to them in the future?

They have seen how being in the EU has changed over the past 40 years or so. So stop throwing stupid tantrums about how they are not gonna live for long so they won't have to deal with the consequences.
    What do you mean how things have changed? The country has gone up and down over the last forty years and none of it has been because we're in the EU. When people are unhappy they look for a scapegoat and throughout history ethnic minorities have the scapegoat of choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    What do you mean how things have changed? The country has gone up and down over the last forty years and none of it has been because we're in the EU. When people are unhappy they look for a scapegoat and throughout history ethnic minorities have the scapegoat of choice
    Well the amount of countries that have joined the EU that should not have joined in the first place. France, Germany and the UK are one of the very few countries that are doing well. That is a small proportion as there are 28 countries altogether in the EU. Yes one of the many benefits of having an economic and monetary union is to help the countries within that bloc. But Greece has not changed much since the financial crisis despite the amount of help that has been given. Spain still has one of the highest youth unemployment.

I am not claiming all of the ups and downs over the last forty years were because of the EU but they did play a factor to some extent.

And that is not true. I am Indian. My parents are migrants who came to the UK 40+ years ago and they are truly grateful to this country for allowing them to do so. We truly support immigration but we support controlled immigration. That being said, it was not the only reason why we voted leave.

ReputationRep:
    Well, plenty of young people voted to leave, too. You just don't hear them on social media as much because they're at risk of being ostracised for such views.

I don't blame the majority of young people for thinking what they do. All those left-wing professors and the media bombard them with the idea that everything contrary to their agenda is wrong.

I think people on the left are generally well-meaning. Because their motives are love and tolerance, they assume anyone who wants something different must be motivated by the opposite... this associates the opposite view with rejected emotions they don't want to acknowledge or integrate in themselves, and are thus projected onto anyone who disagrees with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    No. He. Did. Not.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...rendum-7985017

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. Read it again. Nowhere did he actually say he wanted a second referendum.

Mainstream media is really good at being misleading when it serves their political benefit though.

Saying it is "unfinished business" IS NOT the same as saying he would want a referendum.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.