Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thutmose-III)
    :lol: You don't actually know that much about Ed Miliband's policy positions, do you?
    He proposed whatever the focus groups told him. Though we live in a country where George Osborne is considered a centrist so it is no shock you think of Miliband as a commie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fenice)
    Make your voices heard Labour moderates and share!

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...abour-leader-1
    or alternatively sign the petition to support Jeremy Corbyn. It seems a lot more popular 189,000 so far only 8 (!) wanting him to resign.

Now 235,000 29/6/2016

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...n-after-brexit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    He's got 160000 supporters pledging allegiance to him.

Although initially supportive of the coup, I think, like with brexit the best policy is to let it go on and hope that people learn from the experience. Of course, that could mean that the party loses 100 seats, but it would be worth it. If people learn.
    Mate this is the Labour Party we're talking about. These are the same people who watched the right-wing Conservatives win by majority and the even more right-wing UKIP get 4 million votes (mostly from their own heartlands) and concluded that the problem was that they weren't left wing enough.

I feel sympathy for Corbyn though. You know me, I have no love what so ever for the man or anything he stands for but I honestly don't think he played this referendum thing that badly considering his position. He is anti-EU (or at least was for three decades until about twelve minutes ago in order to keep the party sort of united) but had to try to campaign against his beliefs. Awful predicament. So, all things considered, he did OK.

I can't help but feel this attempted coup isn't to do with the referendum but rather a use of the referendum as an opportunity to correct the mistake of electing him as leader in the first place. The reason why it had to come at this time is because with the Conservatives split, the Labour Party should be in a prime position to take advantage and regain territory. Unfortunately for them you need to be a plausible and - most importantly - electable alternative. As long as Corbyn is leader they are nowhere near that.

I don't see this coup succeeding though. Corbyn has too much support from the grass roots (certain sections of it anyway.....there are lots of grass roots Labour who can't stand what these people have done to the party) as the petition showed. Not sure how these people can justify their position given that they're going to watch themselves get slam dunked on yet again by the Tories (a split Tory party in disarray at that!) and so will begin another term with no power and Tory freedom to do whatever they want.

Lots of Labourites know this all too well, hence the coup. But not enough of them IMO, so he'll be OK.........for now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Mate this is the Labour Party we're talking about. These are the same people who watched the right-wing Conservatives win by majority and the even more right-wing UKIP get 4 million votes (mostly from their own heartlands) and concluded that the problem was that they weren't left wing enough.

I feel sympathy for Corbyn though. You know me, I have no love what so ever for the man or anything he stands for but I honestly don't think he played this referendum thing that badly considering his position. He is anti-EU (or at least was for three decades until about twelve minutes ago in order to keep the party sort of united) but had to try to campaign against his beliefs. Awful predicament. So, all things considered, he did OK.

I can't help but feel this attempted coup isn't to do with the referendum but rather a use of the referendum as an opportunity to correct the mistake of electing him as leader in the first place. The reason why it had to come at this time is because with the Conservatives split, the Labour Party should be in a prime position to take advantage and regain territory. Unfortunately for them you need to be a plausible and - most importantly - electable alternative. As long as Corbyn is leader they are nowhere near that.

I don't see this coup succeeding though. Corbyn has too much support from the grass roots (certain sections of it anyway.....there are lots of grass roots Labour who can't stand what these people have done to the party) as the petition showed. Not sure how these people can justify their position given that they're going to watch themselves get slam dunked on yet again by the Tories (a split Tory party in disarray at that!) and so will begin another term with no power and Tory freedom to do whatever they want.

Lots of Labourites know this all too well, hence the coup. But not enough of them IMO, so he'll be OK.........for now.
    How can Corbyn lead if he cannot form a credible shadow ministry?

Moreover Bercow decides who is the Leader of the Opposition

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1975/27/section/2

What if he decides it's Angus Robertson (SNP leader in the Commons)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)

At this rate the SNP could end up with more seats than Labour if another election is called. Their Northern seats will defect to UKIP en-masse if Parliament try and block a Brexit.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so. Where are these Corbynites going to go? UKIP? Lib Dems? I don't think this will cost Labour much and I think it will gain a huge amount electorally, especially with Jarvis and Benn at the head.
    Labour is going nowhere until it reflects the feelings of its own core vote on immigration.

It doesn't matter WHO the leader is. Even Jesus of Nazareth couldn't save it while it continues to favour unlimited immigration.

THE most poisonous topic in the whole of British politics. Especially amongst, wait for it, white working class Labour voters!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thutmose-III)
    :lol: You don't actually know that much about Ed Miliband's policy positions, do you?
    Apparently things like rent control, mansion taxes, caps on energy prices etc are Tory Lite positions (that's not even taking into account his continuous rants about the undeserving rich) and the public - according to the Momentum lot - decided that these things weren't left wing enough. :rolleyes:

Honestly, these nut cases are what's destroying the Labour Party.

(Original post by Aj12)
    Then surely Labour need to be taking a firm look at their leadership and entire policy platform. How can these members not see that they are alienating their own voters. Or do Momentum think they represent the country?
    That's precisely the case. Mad isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    If labour has people like her in the party why do only crummy candidates like Andy Burnham ever stand for leadership
    Sorry if I'm being dense here, but who do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)

But this is it. There are swathes of Labourites (ie the Momentum lot) who genuinely think that people like Diane Abbot are more plausible than Hilary Benn. How they think the electorate would agree with them in a million years is beyond me. I for one wouldn't trust an entity with such a collective lack of judgment. It is this collective lack of judgment that switched me off Labour when they voted in Ed as leader. As a collective they thought that Ed Milliband was electable even though it was obviously an insane position. I cannot trust this group to run the country. Now all of this. They're finished in my eyes and in those of most of the country, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generallee)
    Labour is going nowhere until it reflects the feelings of its own core vote on immigration.

It doesn't matter WHO the leader is. Even Jesus of Nazareth couldn't save it while it continues to favour unlimited immigration.

THE most poisonous topic in the whole of British politics. Especially amongst, wait for it, white working class Labour voters!
    I guess that explains how Labour pushed a multicultural agenda and ruled for 13 years between 97-10. Oh, wait...

ReputationRep:
    I guess that explains how Labour pushed a multicultural agenda and ruled for 13 years between 97-10. Oh, wait...
    No you have it the wrong way round.

The pushing of the multicultural agenda an the open door immigration policy between 97-10 is what LOST the the white working class vote.

Have you actually talked to any working class ex Labour voters? Do you ever go
    canvassing? Because you sound as if you haven't got a clue?

No offence and everything...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generallee)
    No you have it the wrong way round.

The pushing of the multicultural agenda an the open door immigration policy between 97-10 is what LOST the the white working class vote.

Have you actually talked to any working class ex Labour voters? Do you ever go
    canvassing? Because you sound as if you haven't got a clue?

No offence and everything...
    You are completely missing the point of what I'm saying

Labout doesn't need to be anti immigration to win landslide victories consecutively. There is a reason Boris keeps saying that he is pro immigration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Their Northern seats will defect to UKIP en-masse if Parliament try and block a Brexit.
    I think this is an unlikely but credible scenario for blocking Brexit.

The thing most MPs are most concerned about is their seat.

Let's say Corbyn is gone. Farron, the interim leader of the Labour Party and a representative of the Conservative Remain group (let's call this imaginary person Nicky) get their heads together.

Farron says at a general election, we the LibDems will not stand against against a sitting MP who pledges to oppose Brexit. Labour does likewise. Nicky is not in a position to give the same pledge. Nevertheless she assures them that no Remain MP will stand against a sitting Labour or Liberal Remainer. Farron and Labour pledge to serve under a named Tory leader who will remain in office only so longer as is necessary to repair the ship of state. The call goes out to West Bridgford-les-Deux-Eglises and a man of 75 who has held virtually every office in government is summoned to perform one last duty for his nation and his continent.

I don't think competing Tory and UKIP Leavers would be able to defeat sitting MPs who had the backing of the Liberals and half the Tory Party.

The key thing of course will be that every Remain MP will have been elected on a personal manifesto to oppose Brexit. An MP can never be criticised for backing the policy on which he, personally, was elected.

ReputationRep:
    You are completely missing the point of what I'm saying

Labout doesn't need to be anti immigration to win landslide victories consecutively. There is a reason Boris keeps saying that he is pro immigration.
    OK. Have it your way.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    If Caroline Lucas could be persuaded to defect she would make a fantastic leader with broad appeal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    Plastic centrist Ed Miliband was destroyed at the ballot box. I voted for Corbyn because I wanted Labour to distinguish itself from the Tories and to stop apologising for not falling in line with the Murdoch media message.

The party has time now to really think about what stances to take and how to brand itself. Instead of that we have upset Blairites and centrists wanting to install another plastic candidate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    His positioned himself to be too left wing and England voted to the right of him. Plus the scottish problem happened.

Now, because a right wing government was voted in, you want to appeal to those voter with a far left candidate???

corbynites...i just cant even....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Apparently things like rent control, mansion taxes, caps on energy prices etc are Tory Lite positions (that's not even taking into account his continuous rants about the undeserving rich) and the public - according to the Momentum lot - decided that these things weren't left wing enough. :rolleyes:

Honestly, these nut cases are what's destroying the Labour Party.

That's precisely the case. Mad isn't it?
    andf then england voted in a right wing government XD XD

but no, the public voted in Cameron and Osbourn because they secretly long for britian's answer to Mao Zedong.

ffs you cant make it up

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so. Where are these Corbynites going to go? UKIP? Lib Dems? I don't think this will cost Labour much and I think it will gain a huge amount electorally, especially with Jarvis and Benn at the head.
    Hilary Benn sucks. What a sell out, I'd rather vote for a Tory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    Hilary Benn sucks. What a sell out, I'd rather vote for a Tory.
    In what way is he a sell-out?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.