Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will we have our Death Penalty back now ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mercuryman)
    she wasn't referring to you as an international student, re-read it.
    Ah, thanks for pointing that out. I thought it said "these" rather than "there" at the start.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Don't really want the country to turn into Saudi Arabia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    But Saudi Arabia kill people for stupid reasons

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean to say that sorcery isn't a valid reason?

ReputationRep:
    Saudi Arabia executes people based on things that are not even crimes ie being gay.
    We would execute people who have done heinous crimes, such as murderers.

(Original post by Xelfrost)
    Edit: Scrap that, I'm a tard who can't read properly. -_-
    (Original post by CharlesJH)
    EDIT: I AM A RETARD WHO CANNOT READ, APOLOGIES.
    Thanks to MercuryMan for correcting me.
    It was
    • your inherent bias that gave a rush of blood to your head
    • your inherent bias thatmade you misconstrue the contents in my post
    • your inherent bias thatmade you jump to conclusions
    • your inherent bias that made you type out your initial post
    • your inherent bias that made you retract the contents in your post
    • your inherent bias made you apologize albeit half-halfheartedly
    And one of the two is a political ambassador? But It's ok. I forgive both of you.

she wasn't referring to you as an international student, re-read it.
    As far as my previous post is concerned, you do not have bias. That is a great trait to possess. Thank you for pointing out the obvious to duo above. I have repped you for your effort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Now that we are back in charge of our own affairs, can we start hanging people again ?
    We could but we won't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    Hanging is not popular in the states, in fact Britain is a more civil and progressive country.
    We do not follow the states
    Based on the people wanting to restrict the poor and old from voting I would disagree with progressive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey18)
    It was
    • your inherent bias that gave a rush of blood to your head
    • your inherent bias thatmade you misconstrue the contents in my post
    • your inherent bias thatmade you jump to conclusions
    • your inherent bias that made you type out your initial post
    • your inherent bias that made you retract the contents in your post
    • your inherent bias made you apologize albeit half-halfheartedly
    And one of the two is a political ambassador? But It's ok. I forgive both of you.

As far as my previous post is concerned, you do not have bias. That is a great trait to possess. Thank you for pointing out the obvious to duo above. I have repped you for your effort.
    I'm not sure whether it was bias or whether I was just tired, but again I apologise for misconstruing the post, I am a retard nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    It would be pointless to do so. It has been proven that the states in the US which have the death penalty, has equal or higher murder rates than the states without. It does not act as deterrent at all and therefore there is no point in bringing it back to Britain.

I'm not sure whether it was bias or whether I was just tired, but again I apologise for misconstruing the post, I am a retard nonetheless.
    It's fine. Let it go. We all make mistakes. We all learn from each other. We need to have this mindset. Only then can we grow as individuals and hope against hope that the future generations in UK gets to live in a safe, prosperous and rich country.

ReputationRep:
    It should be something more "humane" than hanging and only for the more heinous crimes but what makes one crime as bad as the next? How do you discrimnate-you get people sayng "hang all paedophiles, rapists and murderers" but every case is individual and has many aspects.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Saudi Arabia executes people based on things that are not even crimes ie being gay.
    We would execute people who have done heinous crimes, such as murderers.
    Yeah, but either way "why do we kill people who are killing people to show that killing people is wrong?".
    Would killing someone be a form of justice?
    Once they're dead, that's it, wouldn't that been seen as an escape from the murder's point of view?
    Wouldn't prison be something be ideal as they can improve and learn from their mistakes?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but either way "why do we kill people who are killing people to show that killing people is wrong?".
    Once they're dead, that's it, wouldn't that been seen as an escape from the murder's point of view?
    Wouldn't prison be something be ideal as they can improve and learn from their mistakes?
    To be honest, I don't disagree with you or the idea of death penalty if that makes sense. It depends on the nature of the crime and the individual themselves. I do believe anyone that commits mass murder with a goal or a purpose needs to be put to an end.

You can't change a person who has already been changed by others.

ReputationRep:
    Not to them they're not.

ReputationRep:
    The electorate can have capital punishment back if it wants it badly enough. It merely needs to ensure that MPs know that they will vote solely for candidates who are for the return of capital punishment.

But even those people who would be in favour of its return have other more pressing issues so it won't return.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it depends on the murderer.
    Not all murderers necessarily deserve the death penalty as each case is unique. The murderers who commit the worst crimes however (ie mass murderers or cold-blooded killers) do deserve the death penalty. These people probably do not care about being in prison, or do not care about anything in general and in these cases because they are psychopaths which in my opinion cannot be fixed. They are not going to look back and say "ah ****, I ****ed up killing Johnny". Some may, but I don't think many in this category will. Some may see it as an escape, but nevertheless they probably do not care.

I feel the death penalty can be a form of justice to people such as relatives as victims and society as a whole. Some of these people take away a person's or multiple people's right to enjoy life and live it in cold blood with no empathy whatsoever, and I personally believe once a person has reached that level they do not deserve their basic rights (notably here their right to live). If someone is going to take away and abuse the rights of others in such a heartless and apathetic manner, they do not deserve their own rights in my opinion. It would be up to the victim's relatives of what they would want done to the murderer, but if I were to be a relative of a victim who died in a cold-blooded murder, I would feel justice would be served if human garbage like the murderer were to be removed from the planet, so that we do not have to keep paying for them to live in prison for the rest of their lives which they may find relatively cozy. It can be argued that the death penalty can be hypocritical, and that "eye for an eye" is not a good idea to follow, but we ourselves are not as bad as crazy people who like to kill people for fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moggis)
    Not to them they're not.
    Well you know what they say: 'you reap what you soe'. They'll get what's coming to them, one way or another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCIENCE :D)
    It would be pointless to do so. It has been proven that the states in the US which have the death penalty, has equal or higher murder rates than the states without. It does not act as deterrent at all and therefore there is no point in bringing it back to Britain.
    That doesn't prove that it's not a deterrent.

However in the States they dish out very,very long sentences in very tough prisons for murder etc and so of course capital punishment would be less of a deterrent .

I can tell you categorically that Id much rather receive a lethal injection than spend 50 years incarcerated in a building full of horrid men.

Imagine the smell!!

ReputationRep:
    Oh ffs

This country is really going to ****

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.