Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    God damn those filthy old people that voted to save Britians democracy! Shame on them, right? Oh no, the economy will be slightly shyte for a few months, better start a 2nd vote in favour of short term benefits.

You waffles are lucky you even got a referendum, unlike most other Euro countries.

*Shakes head from lederhosen land*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    I put all my money on the lottery. The long term pay offs could be huge for me.
    People have saw what the long term future in the eu was like and decided to risk everything to escape it does that not show you how bad that is to people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    Leave and also because of the long term, all the short term doom-mongering was irrelevant to my vote, remain failed to make a single optimistic long term case. It was all authoritarianism and fear and they are still at it. I would like to see Gove in there somewhere, Hannan, Johnson is probably much smarter than people give him credit for, he did well for London. They seem to see Farage as toxic, I think he has some good ideas and some silly ones. I just don't really know who should be PM. All in all I think Gove is smart and is one of those people who could grow given the role, remember(you might not be old enough?) how no-one thought Blair looked PMish, said he was 'Bambi' etc, and then he became one of the most universally convincing leaders ever(that's not to say I'm a fan of him). I truly think Gove might morph into it well, he showed toughness and resilience in those debates on TV and I think a lot of the public like him. What about you, any outside suggestions, any others? Oh, I jst thought, David Davis is very smart, agree with him a lot and he seems eminently sensible, but he might be more of an intellectual than a 'leader' type figure.
    Maybe he could do it though, he went for it before, and maybe if it's short term. How long would we need them for? Do you think we should call a general election, or is it just going to be a 'Tory'(not as we know it) thre years and then another election?

Forgive me, but not knowledgeable on the parliamentary stuff, I came at it from a more historical, and philosophical angle when I voted..
    Yeah, borris is much smarter than people think but going by some of the statements he has recently made, I think he's not fully behind the leave cause. I don't know much about the others but I could definitely see gove being a very professional leader to get us through this uncertainty. Calling an election right now would be a disaster in my eyes, we need to get onto calm waters before we make decisions like that. Sad thing is it will probably be Borris who I don't think is suited for this particular job. Do you know how the next PM will actually be decided?

ReputationRep:
    Well you only have a couple hundred in the bank Jordan so I don't think that would be wise

JamesN88 JordanL Legendary Quest welshiee Dnkz7 joecphillips

Boris is a colourful character who doesn't stand for anything except for 'Boris Bikes'. No world leader will take him seriously if he was the PM of UK. He doesn't have a mind of his own. His close aide is Gove and the only good/nice thing about Gove is his voice. Gove will go down as the worst Education minister in the history of UK. Boris doesn't have any sense of originality since he always parrots what Nigel Farage says e.g. Australian points based system etc.

If you have diligently watched the telecasts of the hustings period during the campaign, Boris spoke loads of gibberish (which is normal of him) and the only time he said anything comprehensible was when he said that UK must adopt a migration policy akin to the Australian point based system etc. These were never his points or that of the official designate Leave campaign. All he did was to use what Farage said without citing him as the source.

Brexit was achieved because of the Leave Campaign. Boris, Gove and the rest of their clique knows this. But they are far too thick-skinned to even accept it for what it is. They have taken credit for the achievement and textbook writers will be paying homage to them in future editions of law and political textbooks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey18)
    JamesN88 JordanL Legendary Quest welshiee Dnkz7 joecphillips

Boris is a colourful character who doesn't stand for anything except for 'Boris Bikes'. No world leader will take him seriously if he was the PM of UK. He doesn't have a mind of his own. His close aide is Gove and the only good/nice thing about Gove is his voice. Gove will go down as the worst Education minister in the history of UK. Boris doesn't have any sense of originality since he always parrots what Nigel Farage says e.g. Australian points based system etc.

If you have diligently watched the telecasts of the hustings period during the campaign, Boris spoke loads of gibberish (which is normal of him) and the only time he said anything comprehensible was when he said that UK must adopt a migration policy akin to the Australian point based system etc. These were never his points or that of the official designate Leave campaign. All he did was to use what Farage said without citing him as the source.

Brexit was achieved because of the Leave Campaign. Boris, Gove and the rest of their clique knows this. But they are far too thick-skinned to even accept it for what it is. They have taken credit for the achievement and textbook writers will be paying homage to them in future editions of law and political textbooks.
    I don't think he would be a good pm but I think he is needed politics in this country needs a shake up and boris becoming pm would send shockwaves throughout politics.

Sometimes things have to get worse before they can get better.

ReputationRep:
    I've watched that many political debates recently that I'm at saturation point.

To sum things up you're correct, Boris talks complete **** and can't be taken seriously by anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legendary Quest)
    You mean the 'imaginary' £350m?

See if NHS improves
    The NHS will improve when he starts making it a two tier system.

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite astonished by people banging on and on about Corbyn and his battle with Labour MP's and Boris Johnson, this soap opera over leaders seems more interesting to them than a massive long term constitutional shake up and a new political paradigm.
    Well I think the Corbyn and Boris show is kind of like the half time entertainment at the Super Bowl .Like when Justin timber lake exposed Janet Jacksons nipple and it was all over the papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I don't think he would be a good pm but I think he is needed politics in this country needs a shake up and boris becoming pm would send shockwaves throughout politics.

Sometimes things have to get worse before they can get better.
    Indeed. Anyway all he only needs to hold the fort til we can have an election.

What could possibly go wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moggis)
    Well I think the Corbyn and Boris show is kind of like the half time entertainment at the Super Bowl .Like when Justin timber lake exposed Janet Jacksons nipple and it was all over the papers.
    Yes mate, but that wasn't key to millions of lives.

ReputationRep:
    People have saw what the long term future in the eu was like and decided to risk everything to escape it does that not show you how bad that is to people?
    Well to be clear most of the people who voted leave didn't really have much to lose.

"Those who have money vote in,those who havnt any money vote out"

The Guardian (btw that article is excellent)

ReputationRep:
    Yes mate, but that wasn't key to millions of lives.
    You don't seem to understand what the Super Bowl means to people.

But to take your point ,the main reason Boris and Corbyn are the main topic for now is because no one is too clear what in fact is going to happen re us coming out.

In fact there even seems to be an element of doubt as to whether we will even be completely out.
    The effect on millions of lives may well not be as great as your post(s) seem to imply you think it might.

We can only speculate of course.

I don't think he would be a good pm but I think he is needed politics in this country needs a shake up and boris becoming pm would send shockwaves throughout politics. Sometimes things have to get worse before they can get better.
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    I've watched that many political debates recently that I'm at saturation point. To sum things up you're correct, Boris talks complete **** and can't be taken seriously by anyone.
    There are a few things I need to emphasize so I shall address them here.

1) Boris is clueless. We must not make the mistake of conflating our fondness for him with whether he has the ability to be the PM. He has never worked a day in the real world. His only 1 ½ achievements are Boris Bikes and taking the credit for the London Olympics when it should have been accorded to Ken Livingstone and Ken Livingstone alone.

2) The problem in UK when it comes to politics is that people vote according to party affiliations. If your great grandpa was Labour, so too would your grandpa, your dad and yourself. In the past, politicians did real work for the people. After Thatcher was ousted, several politicians were in it for themselves. As long as they can claim fraudulent expenses, buy multiple homes, send their children to tops UK and US unis, then only are they contented. The welfare of the people is the least of their concern.

This is the 21st century. So put aside party affiliations and look at the essence of the various pledges. Only the can you arrive at a rationale decision, free from bias. I will illustrate this using a very simple exercise.

Team A's Pledge
    • allow migrants/immigrants/asylum seekers/refugees to enter UK with ease
    • no border controls, no border checks,
    • people with criminal convictions, HIV/AIDS, links to terrorists, fraudulent education certs or fake trade skills can enter
    • pay money to Germany and France to be a member of the single market and then get some money back in the form of rebates
    • be told by Germany and France on what and what not to do
    • UK Supreme Court is no longer supreme and UK parliament is no longer sovereign
    • vile people can simply come into UK, form grooming gangs to sexually molest, rape & even murder innocent girls and then disappear
    • doctors with fake medical certs can perform operations that results in patient deaths and then disappear
    • unskilled workers, migrants etc from all over the world can take a plane to London Heathrow, get council homes, receive monetary benefits and start large families without doing any proper work to the cost of the ever-obliging & obedient British taxpayer
    • people can fly to London, receive medical treatment or go into labour and then return back to their home countries without footing the bill
    • terrorists can walk into UK, go to enclaves, promote ill-will and hatred against other races and religions, orchestrate attacks and then disappear without a trace
    Team B's Pledge
    • confer real powers on Immigration officers stationed at all points of entry into UK, to conduct checks on people wanting to enter UK.
    • With the exit and entry points secured, the new PM must sanction a joint task force operation between the (much publicized failed & powerless) Border Agency and Police forces, go into every borough and check for illegal immigrants (overstayers without valid visas), people with invalid/fake papers and without work permits, those who're wanted by the police or have jumped bail and round them up to be dealt with accordingly.
    • Provide extra funding to the General Medical Council (GMC) and empower them to conduct checks on foreign doctors and identify those with dubious qualifications and report them to the Police
    • Construct a processing centre to be located overseas which will evaluate and process all asylum claims etc. People need to know that they can't just turn up at the door and be expected to be let in.
    • Implement an Australian styled points system where people from all over the world with the necessary skills & qualifications, no criminal records, no terrorists links, no HIV/AIDS will be invited to apply for a work permit. But this is only to be done after job openings have been filled up by British citizens first and if there are vacant places, these will then be filled up by foreigners who would have passed the stringent background checks.
    So let me ask you. Which Team's pledge appeals to you? Team A or Team B? Therein lies your answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moggis)
    You don't seem to understand what the Super Bowl means to people.

But to take your point ,the main reason Boris and Corbyn are the main topic for now is because no one is too clear what in fact is going to happen re us coming out.

In fact there even seems to be an element of doubt as to whether we will even be completely out.
    The effect on millions of lives may well not be as great as your post(s) seem to imply you think it might.

We can only speculate of course.
    I know, I just do find the medias obsessions very strange sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    Statistically the lottery is likely to make you lose money the longer you do it...

You really are an obnoxious petulant child.

ReputationRep:
    Should have read the matched betting thread first.

ReputationRep:
    I quite like the thought of Theresa May becoming PM, strong character, potential to hold the union together, female, can put her foot down and is a eurosceptic but also backed remain, she can play to her advantage to say she was against us being in the EU but is committed to single market access and she could lead negotiations with the UK backing her with full confidence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legendary Quest)
    You mean the 'imaginary' £350m?

See if NHS improves
    I doubt it. It'll be sold off piece by piece, and as Labour are undergoing a fresh civil war, they are essentially ****ing useless and won't be able to do anyhting about it.

ReputationRep:
    There are a few things I need to emphasize so I shall address them here.

1) Boris is clueless. We must not make the mistake of conflating our fondness for him with whether he has the ability to be the PM. He has never worked a day in the real world. His only 1 ½ achievements are Boris Bikes and taking the credit for the London Olympics when it should have been accorded to Ken Livingstone and Ken Livingstone alone.

2) The problem in UK when it comes to politics is that people vote according to party affiliations. If your great grandpa was Labour, so too would your grandpa, your dad and yourself. In the past, politicians did real work for the people. After Thatcher was ousted, several politicians were in it for themselves. As long as they can claim fraudulent expenses, buy multiple homes, send their children to tops UK and US unis, then only are they contented. The welfare of the people is the least of their concern.

This is the 21st century. So put aside party affiliations and look at the essence of the various pledges. Only the can you arrive at a rationale decision, free from bias. I will illustrate this using a very simple exercise.

Team A's Pledge
    • allow migrants/immigrants/asylum seekers/refugees to enter UK with ease
    • no border controls, no border checks,
    • people with criminal convictions, HIV/AIDS, links to terrorists, fraudulent education certs or fake trade skills can enter
    • pay money to Germany and France to be a member of the single market and then get some money back in the form of rebates
    • be told by Germany and France on what and what not to do
    • UK Supreme Court is no longer supreme and UK parliament is no longer sovereign
    • vile people can simply come into UK, form grooming gangs to sexually molest, rape & even murder innocent girls and then disappear
    • doctors with fake medical certs can perform operations that results in patient deaths and then disappear
    • unskilled workers, migrants etc from all over the world can take a plane to London Heathrow, get council homes, receive monetary benefits and start large families without doing any proper work to the cost of the ever-obliging & obedient British taxpayer
    • people can fly to London, receive medical treatment or go into labour and then return back to their home countries without footing the bill
    • terrorists can walk into UK, go to enclaves, promote ill-will and hatred against other races and religions, orchestrate attacks and then disappear without a trace
    Team B's Pledge
    • confer real powers on Immigration officers stationed at all points of entry into UK, to conduct checks on people wanting to enter UK.
    • With the exit and entry points secured, the new PM must sanction a joint task force operation between the (much publicized failed & powerless) Border Agency and Police forces, go into every borough and check for illegal immigrants (overstayers without valid visas), people with invalid/fake papers and without work permits, those who're wanted by the police or have jumped bail and round them up to be dealt with accordingly.
    • Provide extra funding to the General Medical Council (GMC) and empower them to conduct checks on foreign doctors and identify those with dubious qualifications and report them to the Police
    • Construct a processing centre to be located overseas which will evaluate and process all asylum claims etc. People need to know that they can't just turn up at the door and be expected to be let in.
    • Implement an Australian styled points system where people from all over the world with the necessary skills & qualifications, no criminal records, no terrorists links, no HIV/AIDS will be invited to apply for a work permit. But this is only to be done after job openings have been filled up by British citizens first and if there are vacant places, these will then be filled up by foreigners who would have passed the stringent background checks.
    So let me ask you. Which Team's pledge appeals to you? Team A or Team B? Therein lies your answer.
    I do agree with point 2 in most circumstances but some people do break the trend and we need more people to do so.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.