Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should we place a massive glass dome over London? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like a great idea. Government funded work creation schemes are just what this country needs right now post-Brexit. Huge dam and canal building projects with no real purpose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welshiee)
    Given the fact that London is a massive problem right in the centre of the UK, should we place a massive glass dome over it?

The problems:
    • London is not like the rest of the UK so they should require passports to leave
    • Londoners are very arrogant and think they are better than those outside London
    • Londoners always argue they're being marginalised
    • London voted to remain in the EU so we should treat it like its in the EU
    • Londoners live in a bubble so lets make it a physical one as well
    Why a glass dome?
    • We can observe these strange creatures safely from outside the dome
    • We can contain the threat to stop it bleeding into the rest of the UK
    • We can contain the snobbery and arrogance within the dome
    • We can have little doors for Londoners who get passports to the UK
    • There will be a direct train route out of the dome to the French border
    As a Londoner I could be sold, if you also throw in a superfast and direct transport line to Scotland that completely by-passes the rest of England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    I don't disagree with that. London definitely gets more funding and that's what makes it the place to be. Northern cities are so dingy compared to London.
    This is what's so unfair, every one of these urbanite leave campaigners sees them self as a person of the people, the progressive left and it's a big fat lie. I'm not one of these dumbass racist leave voters and it breaks my heart every time I hear that someone has been attacked by racists in the wake of this referendum, but every British city I have been to outside London, especially cities in the North and Midlands which are every bit as multicultural as London is so much nicer and friendlier and more human than London. You can feel the warmth of the working classes, enjoy spicy multicultural vibrancy or bask in the timeless essence of upperclass England. London is like ordering your life from a catalog, no matter how much you paid, it feels contrived and synthetic, I'd want a refund.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welshiee)
    No, just London. The rest of the country was already struggling, and you'd have noticed if you didn't have your head shoved so far up your London-centric ass.
    Oh yeah the rest of the country is definitely doing far better now.. FYI I left London in 2005 and have been living in the South west since.

People's houses are predicted to devalue by 18% in the next 2 years whilst London property will not devalue at all. It will simply reduce the rate at which the prices rise.

Why do you hate London so much? You jealous that its a success?

EDIT: all of this probably wont affect you since Wales is a sh*t hole and you can buy houses for £30000. Btw I cant understand why a welsh person would vote leave..Especially since most of the money EU sends gets given to Wales for redevelopment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Themini)
    Oh yeah the rest of the country is definitely doing far better now.. FYI I left London in 2005 and have been living in the South west since.

People's houses are predicted to devalue by 18% in the next 2 years whilst London property will not devalue at all. It will simply reduce the rate at which the prices rise.

EDIT: all of this probably wont affect you since Wales is a sh*t hole and you can buy houses for £30000. Btw I cant understand why a welsh person would vote leave..Especially since most of the money EU sends gets given to Wales for redevelopment.
    citation needed.

You're thinking like a greedy Londoner who cares about the paper value of his home rather than whether it's safe, warm, well maintained and above all a happy home.

ReputationRep:
    The Simpsons movie reinterpreted 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Imagine being a Java developer who gets paid more than most people living in the city of London but who lives here

''look how stupid and poor he is in his rustic welsh home''

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gora The Xplorer)
    citation needed.

You're thinking like a greedy Londoner who cares about the paper value of his home rather than whether it's safe, warm, well maintained and above all a happy home.
    Yes I'm thinking about the value of my home..Are you meth or something? You're telling me I should be happy that our family home will be worth £60000 less because some thick head degenerates think that voting leave will ensure they'll find a job when none of their family has ever worked a day in their lives.

My home is safe, warm, well maintained and happy but it probably wont be when our economy starts crashing.

ReputationRep:
    Imagine being a Java developer who gets paid more than most people living in the city of London but who lives here

Lol you really are a special case aren't you? Surely you're not stupid enough to argue that average house prices in Wales are higher than London.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I'm thinking about the value of my home..Are you meth or something? You're telling me I should be happy that our family home will be worth £60000 less because some thick head degenerates think that voting leave will ensure they'll find a job when none of their family has ever worked a day in their lives.
    I'm saying that unless you're planning on house flipping, you shouldn't care.

ReputationRep:
    Lol you really are a special case aren't you? Surely you're not stupid enough to argue that average house prices in Wales are higher than London.
    I'm arguing the exact opposite. :dunce: You're a fool for treating OP like an uncultured countryboy just because he's Welsh when a highly qualified person living in Wales can afford a nice home and a much higher quality of life than most people living in London. Living in London is basically market speculation, you breathe in smog and live like a rat in a cage every single day of your life hoping that in 20 years you will sell your nightmare box and move to somewhere where the quality of life is actually worthy of a human being.

ReputationRep:
    I'm saying that unless you're planning on house flipping, you shouldn't care.
    House flipping? Do you live in the real world where people have expenses and mortgages? I'm going to take a wild guess and assume you're the product of benefits Britain which is why you have no concept of money.

Are you seriously arguing that I should be happy that I have a mortgage for a house that we paid over £300000 for and the fact that it will be worth £240000 in a year..?
    That's before interest rates rise. Might as well let the Bank repossess it if that's how house prices are going to start tumbling.

ReputationRep:

Indeed a large pot of EU funds is going to Wales. Just the european structural funds committed to Wales were 1,8 billion over 6 years until 2020. And there were several other EU funding programmes that Wales was benefiting from. These will all stop now so I suppose we can add them to the list of things to pay with the mythic £350 million that we supposedly give to the EU weekly.

ReputationRep:
    House flipping? Do you live in the real world where people have expenses and mortgages? I'm going to take a wild guess and assume you're the product of benefits Britain which is why you have no concept of money.
    Very funny indeed.

Are you seriously arguing that I should be happy that I have a mortgage for a house that we paid over £300000 for and the fact that it will be worth £240000 in a year..?

Then you should have bought based on the underlying value of the asset then shouldn't you

#nosympathy

That's before interest rates rise. Might as well let the Bank repossess it if that's how house prices are going to start tumbling.
    I can't wait until they do rise.

ReputationRep:
    I'm arguing the exact opposite. :dunce: You're a fool for treating OP like an uncultured countryboy just because he's Welsh when a highly qualified person living in Wales can afford a nice home and a much higher quality of life than most people living in London. Living in London is basically market speculation, you breathe in smog and live like a rat in a cage every single day of your life hoping that in 20 years you will sell your nightmare box and move to somewhere where the quality of life is actually worthy of a human being.
    No I'm treating him like a moron because he is one. We're not arguing the living quality..JFC.

ReputationRep:
    The reason why London is rich is because it has been the home of royalty, parliament and the home of the wealthy. It is also the home of the magic money tree but we'll come to that soon.

What people don't realise to often is money doesn't stay with 1 person; money is transferred from person to person in exchange for goods & services.

London has got rich over the generations because of the following:

1. The royal family collected taxes from her subjects and spent this money in London as she still does today.
    2. The whole house of parliament's MP's have homes in London and they spend their wages in London.
    3. The wealthy choose to live in London because they are surrounded by similar status people and spend their income.

And now that you understand the basic concept there is the Banks ability to print money out of thin air so .....

4. British banks have the ability to create money out of thin air and credit other banks with QE money. Bankers get big bonuses and they spend this money in London.

How to destroy London.
    1. Remove the ability to print money from all types of banking in the UK.
    2. Move the Central Bank to Sheffield.
    3. Move Parliament to Leeds.
    4. Let her Majesty stay in London for Tourism.
    5. Invest money into other hubs around Britain to attract wealthy elite socialites.

After that London will crumble. It relies on the banking sector.

ReputationRep:
    wrong box

ReputationRep:
    Very funny indeed.

Then you should have bought based on the underlying value of the asset then shouldn't you

#nosympathy

I can't wait until they do rise.
    The underlying asset was worth the money I paid for it and was revalued at £50000 over cost price after 3 years but now its devalued. I also didn't think some degenerates would vote leave. That never crossed my mind.

Secondly, ofcourse you don't mind because you're a benefit scrounge. Your life is going nowhere and you have nothing worthy of value to lose.

In fact I hope the UK now reduces benefits so scroungers like you can work for a living like the rest of u.

I dont know how this country will survive though...They pay Romanians and Polish people £4.75 an hour to work in our farms because no English person would get out of bed for that pay.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously stealing an idea from the Simpsons movie?

ReputationRep:

My Dad lives in a simialr size home. Takes a fortune to heat in the winter.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.