Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should Rooney retire from International Football? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oceansiz3)
    Kane just looked knackered, to be honest. Similarly with Müller for Germany, and Lewandowski for Poland.

I'd keep Rooney as a CM, though. He's still got much to offer the team.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lewan has been really good for Poland, constantly bringing others into play and creating something from nothing, he just hasn't found the net yet. Agree with the rest though.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    The major problem isn't Rooney or any other player in the team. It is that England simply do not create enough quality players for us to compete at international level.
    Yep. I'm sure my reasoning might not match yours as to why Eng did so poorly last game and does poorly abroad (my thinking matches this guy's:
    http://www.joeybarton.com/inevitable...national-team/) but...I basically agree with you here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    How long was that post Xmas run?

I am a Rooney fanboy. Don't think he should retire from internationals, or even give up the captaincy because there isn't anyone to replace him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sternumator)

Responsiblity for a player's selection lies with the manager. Its a poor reflection on the management that they have been blindly selecting big names for so long that people are now suggesting players need to be deciding when they are not up to the job.

Lol exactlyyy and similar to what I said here (basically I am saying one of England's problems and the EPL in general is that they trade big bucks for foreign players and overpay certain British players, and neglect the developing of potential English and UK footballers, which is a poor decision in the long run):

(Original post by 0to100)
    It's not the foreigner's fault?? It's the EPL managers buying em up obviously. They're just doing their job. This is where critical thinking comes in. Who's doing the hiring here? I'm "banging on about" them.

That is such an opinion loool and what do you mean betteer players abroad?! This is what I'm saying, there's talent here. You just said you're manchester united fan...and you know all about homegrown talent...even though at one point one of their greatest players was mexican and rooney is irish but technically english but anyway...and then you go and say English ballers not worth it? So weird you are. Like I said mate, home grown talent. Brazil's not afraid of that. Neither is Iceland apparently, not even France. But for bigger dollars which we agree the players are overpayed...they'll buy in "better talent abroad"...cheaper to do so...and more money in the end. In the long run though, it does the country no favours. Obviously. And in the future if the default is to ire foreign players...we're not gonna get good enlgish players in the future because they won't be developed or believed in. Do you not understand that...? dont tell me idk **** all man.

And now you're like "Im out peace" in your post edit, running off like a wuss lool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zayn is Bae)

I am a Rooney fanboy. Don't think he should retire from internationals, or even give up the captaincy because there isn't anyone to replace him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your opinion but why is that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    Your opinion but why is that
    Who else is a leader in the team? Hart's a bottler, Cahill isn't good enough and everyone else is inexperienced. Give Dele a few years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hardigan)
    Well if Messi announces his retirement from international football after losing the Copa America final to Chile then using the same logic the whole England team should probably retire after that showing against Iceland.
    The reasoning is completely different for Messi to stay in Arg now. He can now help HIS country. Whereas Rooney has been playing in his country all along and has just HURT it. This means he needs to get better, with better mgmt, OR go overseas which probably won't be a wise choice because EPL I think cares more about bucks than the talent of its own players :\ OR he quits :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zayn is Bae)
    Who else is a leader in the team? Hart's a bottler, Cahill isn't good enough and everyone else is inexperienced. Give Dele a few years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm glad you said inexperienced. It's pretty pitiful that Manchester United can hold up without Rooney because of various other solid players over the years, but the English team can't do **** all without Rooney apparently. It's because the nat'l team is hiding behind their biggest name, even if he was sh*t, which is easy for them to do when the rest of the English footballers simply aren't good enough really down to inexperience. They wouldn't be inexperienced though if EPL developed more English and British players along with foreign talent So come international tournies, the nat'l team would perform better as a unit. But that's not happening sadly and stupidly.

ReputationRep:
    Rooney is happy to carry on because like Beckham at the end, representing England has financial benefits that line his pockets with commercial deals. On a football level, it would be up to the England manager who if he comes in with a plan, a formation, an idea of how he wants to play and that doesn't include Rooney then he has to have the balls to drop him. Ruud Gullit said prior to the tournament that the media would find Rooney a position in the team rather than put together a cohesive team and that's what has happened. No coincidence Rooney was lapping up playing in midfield when questions arised on his role in the England team and when as far back as 2013, he was against playing deeper when Fergie shunted him onto the bench.

I'd like to think an England manager can create a fresh, new identity without Rooney in the line-up but include him in the squad for his experience yet no coincidence that rumours came out that he led a senior players group unhappy with Hodgson and similiar at United with LVG so would you want an experienced player like that around if you're trying to create a new positive dynamic for a younger England team?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The issue is that the senior players consistently wilt for England. Rooney was ineffective against Iceland, Hart remains a puzzle who is capable of both the brilliant and bemusing, and the likes of Cahill are a shadow of their European counterparts.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Rooney.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  72.7 KB
    England's Wayne Rooney stamps on Portugal's Ricardo Carvalho before being shown a red card

(source)
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by NJA)
    Name:  Rooney.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  72.7 KB
    England's Wayne Rooney stamps on Portugal's Ricardo Carvalho before being shown a red card

(source)
    He's retired now mate...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.