Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Scotland can't do referendums any time they want Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    The last referendum was before we decided to leave the EU.
    People in 2014 knew that an EU referendum was on the cards, and were particularly aware of it during the Scots election this year where a majority voted for unionist parties.

It would take Scotland 5 to 7 years to join the EU after leaving the UK. Given low oil prices an iScotland would need to implement vicious austerity to bring down their budget deficit from 15% of GDP to the maximum 3% of GDP. They would also need to have their own currency and central bank for at least two years prior to acceding to the Eurozone. And EU member states like Spain have said they will veto a Scottish accession to the EU anyway.

In such circumstances, and given the way Scots voted in the election this year, there is no basis for an immediate referendum. If the Scots can demonstrate a sustained desire for a renewed indyref by giving the SNP majorities in 2020 at least, then a new indyref can be considered.

Otherwise it just comes across as a highly dishonest attempt to put the same question over and over again until you get the answer you want.

ReputationRep:
    October 15, 2013 on BBC’s Daily Politics. Sturgeon said the referendum was a “once in a generation event, possibly once in a lifetime for Scotland".

How's that for lying to the electorate?

ReputationRep:
    Scotland eould want to leave anyway. EU or not. England treats them awfully and Brexit will only make it worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Perhaps, but both the Spanish and French leaders have poured cold water on the idea, so in the short term at least I think the vetoes will stick.
    In the short term nothing will happen because the UK can't have meaningful negotiations until there is a new PM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    October 15, 2013 on BBC’s Daily Politics. Sturgeon said the referendum was a “once in a generation event, possibly once in a lifetime for Scotland".

How's that for lying to the electorate?
    It's not lying if the regressive progressives support that side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatRandomGirl)
    England treats them awfully
    You mean like letting them have their own government, tax raising powers and an extra 15% or so funding per head compared to England? Yeah, that's treating them awfully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)

Kosovo isn't going to join anytime soon.
    Obviously not but I wasn't suggesting they were. The point is that the EU regards Spain has having a nervous tick when it comes to separatism and ignores it. The position in 2014 was different. The EU was supporting the UK's unionism.

(Original post by Josb)
    The Spanish Prime Minister has said today:"I want to be very clear: Scotland does not have the competence to negotiate with the European Union. Spain opposes any negotiation by anyone other than the government of the United Kingdom,” he told a news conference following a summit of European leaders in Brussels.

“I am extremely against it, the treaties are extremely against it and I believe everyone is extremely against it. If the United Kingdom leaves … Scotland leaves."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...hy-little-hope

Doesn't sound good.
    Yes, that's why I said the EU won't necessarily accept an independent Scotland. I agree, it doesn't sound good for them at all!

ReputationRep:
    You mean like letting them have their own government, tax raising powers and an extra 15% or so funding per head compared to England? Yeah, that's treating them awfully.
    You clearly don't know what England does to them. Then again neither did I until I asked them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMEGGGY)
    Westminster can deny it. They better had. Time of the month for Nicola it seems.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you for real??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalMarine)
    They voted to remain in the UK so they're not a free and independent nation. They voted to remain in the UK and having a small population it means the English rule on Scotland. If they voted for independence then they would have the right to join the EU. The English will concede a new referendum in 2036. Till then, 'Better Together'
    They voted to remain in the UK before England committed an act of economic self-harm and stupidity.

Now, if the support is there, Scotland should be able to gain independence if it wishes. If I were living in Scotland, I'd want to get away from England: England used Project Fear on Scotland to get them to stay and then went and left the EU.

In fact, I think a new country should be formed, consisting of London, Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, Manchester, York, Newcastle, Scotland and Northern Island. We'll see how everyone else does then.

ReputationRep:
    Why are some of the people who show such animosity towards Scotland so obsessed with insisting Scotland shoudn't be allowed another independence referendum?

Just make up your minds and get on with living in post-Brexit (in a sense) Britain.

ReputationRep:
    I think they'll have a referendum but I'm not sure the EU is interested in Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatRandomGirl)
    You clearly don't know what England does to them. Then again neither did I until I asked them.
    I'm Scottish. I live in Scotland. I won't say where I work but I have a pretty good idea what goes on up here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    I think they'll have a referendum but I'm not sure the EU is interested in Scotland.
    The EU is interested in all European countries that meet the requirements. The EU cannot begin formal discussions with an entity that is not yet an independent country though, hence the stonewalling of Scotland just now.

Whether or not Spain would use its veto however is another matter, although personally I think the rejection of a country for political reasons is against the very principles of the EU.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Scottish. I live in Scotland. I won't say where I work but I have a pretty good idea what goes on up here.
    Then are you sure you know what's happening. The fact that you get legislation before us like you're a test area. Possibly the blocking of the advancement of something that would bring you more money. Or possibly England taking your money. These things happen to Scotland because of England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viddy9)
    They voted to remain in the UK before England committed an act of economic self-harm and stupidity.

Now, if the support is there, Scotland should be able to gain independence if it wishes. If I were living in Scotland, I'd want to get away from England: England used Project Fear on Scotland to get them to stay and then went and left the EU.

In fact, I think a new country should be formed, consisting of London, Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, Manchester, York, Newcastle, Scotland and Northern Island. We'll see how everyone else does then.
    Anything someone disagrees with can be simply dismissed as 'self-harm' and 'stupidity'. It's clear that on that basis the SNP's criteria for another independence vote is anything at all not going their way.

It is not reasonable to expect all parts of the country to agree on everything at all times. There are entire regions of England with a larger population than Scotland that are dominated by the Tories and/or Brexit. Will they get special concessions any time votes go the other way?

Scotland can not expect to be taken seriously when it whinges about voting results being unfair to it when it's remedy is simply to turn the tables and make it unfair on the other side. If they could they'd happily nullify a legitimate national referendum and keep the entire UK in the EU even though England and Wales voted to leave. You'll have to excuse many English people then when they shed not one single tear over Scotland's 'plight'.

ReputationRep:
    Wee Nic knows the challenges she faces. :eviltongue:
    I back her all the way though, she's a great politician. She wouldn't risk a loss at a referendum so she isn't just gonna jump into another independence referendum unless she thought she would win. And yes the UK voted to leave but Scotland isn't just a region, dont treat it as such, imagine if England voted to leave and were forced to stay because the rest of the U.K. said stay, you'd be annoyed and upset too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    Whether or not Spain would use its veto however is another matter, although personally I think the rejection of a country for political reasons is against the very principles of the EU.
    It's been done since the beginning of the EU. Cf. when France vetoed the admission of the UK in the 1960s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadow Hunters)
    Wee Nic knows the challenges she faces. :eviltongue:
    I back her all the way though, she's a great politician. She wouldn't risk a loss at a referendum so she isn't just gonna jump into another independence referendum unless she thought she would win. And yes the UK voted to leave but Scotland isn't just a region, dont treat it as such, imagine if England voted to leave and were forced to stay because the rest of the U.K. said stay, you'd be annoyed and upset too.
    That's exactly what the SNP originally wanted to do. They were looking at blocking Brexit completely for the UK. You can not complain about something that you'd absolutely do yourself given the opportunity.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.