Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which gender is under more pressure nowadays? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Dude, gender is a social construct man, it doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Ahh yeah. Women are under pressure to have big boobs, a big ass, a flat stomach, skinny legs and a thigh gap. Honestly sounds so unrealistic to me :/
    That's why I think women are under more pressure, we are fed unrealistic, often unobtainable goals. Very few of us can be stick thin with big ass and tits.

ReputationRep:
    Probably equal. Although most mainstream feminist groups don't seem to want to acknowledge the high suicide rates of males.

I find height is something males have to worry about much more, and there's less of an optimism that things could be better with their make-up done differently or something.
    I think the bombardment of physical perfection that many people act like is just something women experience need to walk past a Hollister or something, men suffer the EXACT same thing.
    On the other hand, I think men have a much higher chance of being a "silver fox" and maintaining sex appeal into their 50's which is hopeful and also I think financial success is seen as a more attractive trait for males to have than females (a double-edged sword depending on whether you are successful or not)

However You could make the argument that men have it worse considering no one is really speaking out about body image the way they are for women currently. Although, with this fat acceptance complaints, it's arguably gone a bit too far on the female side....

All in all, I think our generation has it the worst, social media's merged the perfect lives/ bodies into something of normality. People spend so much time, reading what a sports star, movie star, model, actor, singer etc did today, following them that ordinary lives/bodies seem so underwhelming.
    Spending your day watching good-looking, wealthy youtubers piss around all day and following the lives of not only the 0.1%'s in terms of looks and success but the version of their lives their willing to share which makes them more like the 0.0001%'s. Suddenly, working your ass off to hopefully get 60k a year and a detached house in the suburbs is just... underwhelming.

ReputationRep:
    I think that males and females are under as much pressure as each other.
    The media is always putting pressure on guys to look to ed and have a six pack and things whereas girls have to look like models otherwise theye ignored.
    I absolutely hate all of this!
    I want everyone to be treated equally! I know thats never gonna happen but i do treat everyone the same (unless theyve done something to offend me in which case i dont interact with them).
    But seriously what is wrong with people nowadays?
    Why cant we see that everyone is beautiful in their own way!
    Why cant we see that women are not inferior to men! Theyre just as capable, if not more capable at some things!
    I honestly think that we all need to ignore the media and just believe what we believe is right, not what the media wants us to believe!
    I get so angry over this sort of stuff
    But thanks MrsSheldonCooper for posting this! Brilliant idea!

ReputationRep:
    So I was watching a documentary by Reggie Yates a while back called Extreme UK (it isn't on BBC iplayer anymore so I can't link it) and he was talking about the rise of men getting their bodies surgically altered in order to look more toned, so they would get more attention. He interviewed a guy who had plastic fillers put into his pectorals and while I was watching, it got me thinking. Are men under more pressure or is it women? Nowadays on the media and all, models are photoshopped to look as if they actually do conform to Western standards of beauty and so we all feel a pressure of some sort at some point.

So yeah, the question basically is, are men under more pressure to look good or are women under a lot more pressure?
    I remember watching that programme ... I think it was something called "reggies yates extreme: six pack" or something. :laugh: I had nothing to watch

It basically shows the extreme end of people who basically have no 'patients' in the natural :dumbells: game and some people who don't know how to diet I.e tracking their calories/macros and slowly changing their body composition. Some of them were more on the extreme end, if I recall some guy went to Yemen to have a surgical operation to remove some body fat from his midsection so his abs would be more visible. <--- So stupid that once he returns to his original diet he'll put on the body fat again. :facepalm:

I believe both genders are put under pressure to live up to social media expectations..however there is more of a emphasis on a guy to look good. :argh: For example, if there's a bigger girl society will tell the guy to accept the girl and he shouldn't say anything whereas if the guy was on the more bigger side he'd get sh1t for being "lazy". #doublestandardsh1t

^ you can get my point.

Granted there are a lot of Photoshop users on social media but most of them have either dieting for x period for photo shoots or anything & also use lighting to their best ability :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemting)
    Transphobe

What about agender, bigender and genderfluid?
    Transgender people aren't some 3rd gender they are people who's brain doesn't match their bodies and fall into either category.

The others are just stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnknownRoyalist)
    By the sound of it they were just lazy and couldn't be bothered to put the time/effort in to get the physique naturally. Only the mentally weak feel the pressure of the media BS and actually act on it by getting surgery. That being said, a lot of this generation and the coming ones are going to be mentally weak so this is going to be the norm soon.
    "Spot" on bro. :dumbells:
    ^

A lot of people are impatient about how slow progress/results come from the
    #natty (natural) :dumbells: game and resort to other measures. Its sad because
    by resorting to other measures such as those in that documentary, it isn't sustainable nor can someone maintain a shredded physique all year round and make gains without getting "help". :sigh:

You have to learn to :love: your body and embrace the #fluffynotfat phases you go through while lifting.

Spoiler:
    Show
    We're all gonna make it brah!

ReputationRep:
    Neither, this is just deja-vu all over again, I have never met someone who genuinely feels pressured about their job just because of their gender 😛

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    That's why I think women are under more pressure, we are fed unrealistic, often unobtainable goals. Very few of us can be stick thin with big ass and tits.
    And very few men can obtain the unrealistic goals set.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I agree, very few men will last the test of time to achieve those physiques as a natural since they take blood, sweat and years, which is something not everyone is willing to do.

^ + requires more effort, adherence and patience since the physiques portrayed on social media of how guys should look isn't necessarily achievable in the short-term. (I'm not talking about summer bodies)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Such as?

ReputationRep:
    Such as?
    The 6 foot+ muscle bound type of image

ReputationRep:
    You can become toned with a big ass in a year. For guys to achieve a model body it takes 4+ years, most likely with a low dose of steroids as well, just sayin

ReputationRep:
    So I was watching a documentary by Reggie Yates a while back called Extreme UK (it isn't on BBC iplayer anymore so I can't link it) and he was talking about the rise of men getting their bodies surgically altered in order to look more toned, so they would get more attention. He interviewed a guy who had plastic fillers put into his pectorals and while I was watching, it got me thinking. Are men under more pressure or is it women? Nowadays on the media and all, models are photoshopped to look as if they actually do conform to Western standards of beauty and so we all feel a pressure of some sort at some point.

So yeah, the question basically is, are men under more pressure to look good or are women under a lot more pressure?
    Women are third class citizens in countries like the UK, it's disgraceful and we should aspire to be more like our EU counterparts minus the right wing rabble

ReputationRep:
    I would do say males, because to some extent within the western world only, there has been an overcorrection in gender equality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think women are under more, but not by as much as you'd think. I honestly think in the end, some people are capable of being confident and just not caring what other people think about their appearance. But most people aren't like that, and thus suffer from social expectations.

I mean, it's really only a huge issue if you care a lot what your partner looks like and feel a need to be "worthy" of the more attractive ones. Otherwise, you can probably find other people of the opposite gender that don't meet social standards of beauty themselves. The pressure can come down a lot if you're not interested in dating the most beautiful people out there, and maybe care more about how a potential partner thinks or feels.

The main reason I think women have it harder, is because it's a lot harder to take an attractive woman seriously in a business environment where people are competing for recognition, praise, and attention. You naturally tend to assume that someone just hired her because they wanted something nice to look at... and then you feel like she didn't have to work as hard as everyone else because every needy guy in the office is bending over backwards to please her. It leads to subconscious resentment and lack of respect that's hard to train yourself out of. But a woman that looks more serious and severe is easier to take seriously... and then she has more trouble with relationships. Men don't have that problem, as their looks don't affect career so much.

ReputationRep:
    Being 6' tall with wide shoulders + small waist is not just unrealistic for most men. It's downright impossible.

ReputationRep:
    I think women are under pressure to look a certain way and men to behave a certain way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alextaylor6)
    You can become toned with a big ass in a year. For guys to achieve a model body it takes 4+ years, most likely with a low dose of steroids as well, just sayin

What about boobs then? I suppose you'll say you can save up for a tit job within a year as well :rofl:

That's bs, You aren't doing a fair comparison there, the type of male physique you are talking about is a body builder type body. If you are going to use the maximum physique for a male you should compare that with the maximal ideal physique of a woman. Which has been defined on here and in the media as big tits/ arse/ tiny waist/ slim legs with a thight gap. Most people who work out also have chunky thighs.

Plus no one even expects males to look like body builders. Most girls don't even like that. What most girls like is a healthy body, with a little muscle. It's just as easy for males to tone up a bit and add the same muscle definition. In fact even easier because males are naturally more muscular than women, have lower body fat etc. So why do you think it's easy for a woman to add a load of muscle to her arse, but not for a man to add muscle?

If you posted a poll on TSR asking girls whether they consider a six pack as a deciding factor in a partner, most would say no. If you posted a poll asking the guys if they consider a big arse/ boobs a deciding factor in a partner, a hell of a lot would say yes.

The only time I think males have it bad, and this actually slipped my mind until a previous person mentioned it to me, is their height. If you're short, I do see how it can make life hard. But by short I mean below 5 ft 6, I know lots of good lookin guys who are 5 ft 6/7. As long as you're taller than the girl there's very rarely a problem, and for most guys that's not hard to achieve considering the average female height is 5 ft 4.

But I do so how height can add some pressure and frustration, even insecurity to some males. I concede that, but I completely disagree with what you're saying in terms of guy having to look like some body builder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sisuphos)
    Being 6' tall with wide shoulders + small waist is not just unrealistic for most men. It's downright impossible.
    How much girls really expect a guy to be 6' though. Personally I rather guys a bit shorter, like 5 ft 7/8.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.