Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is this 'single market' baloney? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Copycats&Acrobats)
    The EU does this though specifications, such as the way fruit looks/quality issues (ie there was a case with the shape of Bananas once), although some of the rules are genuinely there to protect the consumer.
    Well the principle of harmonising rules is a sensible one because it means companies get used to the rules in their own member state and then know the rules are the same in all 27 others, rather than having to learn different rules for every member state that they want to export to.

Overregulating is a different problem - that can happen everywhere. One of the problems we face now is an EU minus the UK is going to be much more likely to overregulate, and that means our firms will have to comply with those regulations when they export to the EU.

(Original post by Copycats&Acrobats)
    So in reality with the current situation you do not really benefit as much as you would assume.
    Given the time it takes to negotiate trade deals (eg 5 to 7 years) it will take probably the best part of a decade to shape the post-Brexit Britain, first with a trade relationship with the EU (almost certainly tariff-free but we may briefly have a period of WTO tariffs) and then to our other markets where we currently have EU deals that will no longer be valid. At that point we will see if the Brexiters are right that being free to negotiate our own deals means we will get better deals.

However what will be quite extraordinary is for a period we will go to WTO tariffs, it will be the biggest backward step in trade liberalisation that I think any country will have gone through and for an open economy like the UK it will take a lot of accepting in to our national psyche. Aside from potential job losses etc, the biggest thing people will notice is that a lot of things in the shops will be more expensive because we import so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Smh, this is the most important economic issue relating to leaving and you're asking the question after the referendum.:confused:
    ThePM should have inquired about an exit package when he went to the last, in the event of a leave vote. He also should have demanded the leave party present a plan in the event they succeeded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeremy1988)
    The EU has this dumb policy where they won't let any member nations negotiate independent trade deals. So whatever terms the EU dictates, no member nation in the EU can bilaterally negotiate a better deal with the UK. Even if they don't like the terms. A single market means all the member states give up all their trade negotiation powers to Brussels.
    You take the rough with the smooth, my friend. That's life. What we did is essentially rage quit because of the downsides, despite them being outweighed by the positives.

(Original post by InnerTemple)
    Yeah, things were so great before the UK joined the EU. We were the sick man of Europe. Having joined the EEC, our economy grew faster than an comparable country and, until last Friday, we were the 5th largest economy.
    Quite. If the EU is so restrictive, then how did we become the 5th largest economy out there? (I'm aware it's the City of London but you know what I'm getting at). What are people expecting? The 4th or 3rd biggest? Yes, many people voted because of issues like immigration or sovereignty (as if money doesn't affect one's freedom) but we were doing well!

(Original post by jneill)
    But the blame for that must lie with the Leave campaign - they completely failed to get any positive messages across.
    Actually this describes the Remain campaign, which utterly failed to get across why the EU is broadly good for the people. It was atrocious and only served to turn people off. The people running the campaign were so obviously clueless regarding what people want. A complete lack of understanding was shown towards working class people for example. You're not going to get people's votes my refusing to acknowledge their concerns and trying to smear them for having them in the first place. That's the Remain campaign in a nut shell, I'm afraid. It's infuriating because they turned what should have been an easy victory into this mess.

ReputationRep:
    Easy jet planning to move HQ to remain within the EU.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Actually this describes the Remain campaign, which utterly failed to get across why the EU is broadly good for the people. It was atrocious and only served to turn people off. The people running the campaign were so obviously clueless regarding what people want. A complete lack of understanding was shown towards working class people for example. You're not going to get people's votes my refusing to acknowledge their concerns and trying to smear them for having them in the first place. That's the Remain campaign in a nut shell, I'm afraid. It's infuriating because they turned what should have been an easy victory into this mess.
    Agreed - it was a typo.

!

ReputationRep:
    The "single market" means I as an IT consultant can work any where in the EU...

Without it I would need visas work permits and most likely be at the back of the queue - eg every other nation in the EU gets a chance at the job first. If they cant fill it they will come to me.
    So basically I Would be stuffed..

You want to know how many jobs the UK would lose in a week in IT alone ?

About 2,500 jobs in Germany alone in a single week:
    http://www.jobserve.com/de/en/JobSea...B6D2CF&chc=DEU

Or holland - 750:
    http://www.jobserve.com/nl/en/JobSea...D5C6FF&chc=NLD

Taking the whole EU , for just IT, I would lose the chance of about 10,000 jobs a week

A WEEK WEEK -

THINK ABOUT IT.
    THIS IS WHAT A BREXIT PERSON IS DOING TO ME AND THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF OTHER BRITS.

WHY DO YOU WANT TO SACK US ALL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Easy jet planning to move HQ to remain within the EU.
    Project fear!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Well the principle of harmonising rules is a sensible one because it means companies get used to the rules in their own member state and then know the rules are the same in all 27 others, rather than having to learn different rules for every member state that they want to export to.
    true

this is the so-called "cassis de Dijon" principle : a product which is legally on the market in one EU Member State is legally on the market for all Member States

this principle (defined by the EU Court of Justice) forced the Member States to agree on common standards which they would otherwise not have agreed.

and this has meant a huge advantage and savings for both producers and consumers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PilgrimOfTruth)
    *The EU uses a different system called Corpus Juris which would take the place of our Habeus Corpus basic and fundamental "innocent until proven guilty" principle.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...m-8931215.html

"Corpus juris, used by our continental neighbours, is not a system of justice we should be welcoming in the UK. It is alien to our beliefs of “innocent before proven guilty” and of limiting the power of the state. Once the power of law enforcement has been handed to another institution, there is no guarantee we can get it back."
    The corpus juris you're talking about isn't in use. It was a proposal written in 1997 to tackle certain fraud offences. It was basically going to set up an EU wide Serious Fraud Office. It didn't come to fruition.

All other comments - some of which you highlighted, simply are not true. One of the academics who wrote the 1997 paper, a Cambridge law professor, published a response to these claims - which totally trashes them. Have a watch: http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/discus...ritish-justice

Oh, by the way - the presumption of innocence exists all over the EU. In member state's constitutions, in EU treaties, conventions etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    The "single market" means I as an IT consultant can work any where in the EU...

Without it I would need visas work permits and most likely be at the back of the queue - eg every other nation in the EU gets a chance at the job first. If they cant fill it they will come to me.
    So basically I Would be stuffed..

You want to know how many jobs the UK would lose in a week in IT alone ?

About 2,500 jobs in Germany alone in a single week:
    There are currently 12,000 IT jobs in the UK and approx. 8000 in the USA, vs 2200 in Germany.

Why do you not want a UK IT job?

ReputationRep:
    There are currently 12,000 IT jobs in the UK and approx. 8000 in the USA, vs 2200 in Germany.

Why do you not want a UK IT job?
    sorry but you have been lied to yet again by Brexit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    sorry but you have been lied to yet again by Brexit.
    What kind of response is that?

These are the numbers from the website YOU cited.

12,000 IT jobs in the UK. Why don't you want a UK IT job?

ReputationRep:
    What kind of response is that?

These are the numbers from the website YOU cited.

12,000 IT jobs in the UK. Why don't you want a UK IT job?
    Instead of telling the poster to get a job in the UK, why don't you tell some unemployed leavers to get a job.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not telling him to get a job. He's complaining that he won't be able to get a job, yet there are 12,000 in the UK sitting there already !

ReputationRep:
    I'm not telling him to get a job. He's complaining that he won't be able to get a job, yet there are 12,000 in the UK sitting there already !
    Surely, it would be better for other British workers if he got a job outside Britain so there will be more for jobs left in Britain.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.