Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

£440 in rent to my parents -- is it fair? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My mortgage is less than that.

And the rent for the one bed flat I had all to myself before that was less than that.

You can do better. And, tbh, at 28 you should do better.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Drewski)
    My mortgage is less than that.

And the rent for the one bed flat I had all to myself before that was less than that.

You can do better. And, tbh, at 28 you should do better.
    OP is not in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emerald777)
    Hello, I am a 28 year old student and pay £440 in rent to my parents and I pay my own bills and food. But I wonder if this is reasonable. In order to be able to pay the rent, I must in addition to student loans also work to pay the rent.

The house is big and I live in a floor for myself that has everything you need. Floor serves as an apartment. My parents have good jobs and no financial worries.

Theys say that the floor is worth £550 a month. Therefore, I also take care of the garden for free, such as cutting the grass.

What do you think? grateful for your opinions
    Search for other places with a one bedroom, you never know you could find a better place for a smaller price

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tw1x)
    Wow, how big is your place? I'm in a 3 bedroom house and its £525 plus about 100 in bills
    5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2 toilet rooms on top, kitchen, living room and laundry room

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raizelcadres)
    Search for other places with a one bedroom, you never know you could find a better place for a smaller price
    This place is good and I survive.

My problem is the fact that it feels wrong because its family members that dont take into account my temporary financial situation. should you really think about the market rent when it comes to your children? I take care of myself, my expenditures and dont disturb them.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    This place is good and I survive.

My problem is the fact that it feels wrong because its family members that dont take into account my temporary financial situation. should you really think about the market rent when it comes to your children? I take care of myself, my expenditures and dont disturb them.
    Some parents do and some don't. That's not really the point. The point is you have a choice: you can pay it and stay. Or not pay it and move out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Some parents do and some don't. That's not really the point. The point is you have a choice: you can pay it and stay. Or not pay it and move out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah, show ticket and stay in train or dont show and leave.

IF only people like you with your common sense from the corner of your kitchen table had ruled over the world... everyone would be astonished at the performance of rational and flawless world we had lived in...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    yeah, show ticket and stay in train or dont show and leave.

IF only people like you with your common sense from the corner of your kitchen table had ruled over the world... everyone would be astonished at the performance of rational and flawless world we had lived in...
    I'm a parent
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Hello, I am a 28 year old student and pay £440 in rent to my parents and I pay my own bills and food. But I wonder if this is reasonable. In order to be able to pay the rent, I must in addition to student loans also work to pay the rent.

The house is big and I live in a floor for myself that has everything you need. Floor serves as an apartment. My parents have good jobs and no financial worries.

Theys say that the floor is worth £550 a month. Therefore, I also take care of the garden for free, such as cutting the grass.

What do you think? grateful for your opinions
    Is this per week or per month? And you pay all your phone, water, heating ect. Bills? I mean you are getting more than most uni students would but paying more too. Especially as I take it you are living at home which means you get the lower student finance just because you are staying with parents. Personally I would have just gone into uni accommodation (assuming that you are first year) because that would have been about the same money but the extra student finance would have covered it.

ReputationRep:
    youve lived in their house 18 years rent free
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Aph)
    Is this per week or per month? And you pay all your phone, water, heating ect. Bills? I mean you are getting more than most uni students would but paying more too. Especially as I take it you are living at home which means you get the lower student finance just because you are staying with parents. Personally I would have just gone into uni accommodation (assuming that you are first year) because that would have been about the same money but the extra student finance would have covered it.
    OP is not a student in the UK...

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.