Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    Many older people voted leave, not somehow to spite the younger generation, but because they have fought for democracy, can see that the EU doesn't provide that and because they care about us.

Take a look at the story of these war veterans:

"Colin Ashford, 97, who survived the Dunkirk evacuation in 1940, said:

‘Under the EU all the democratic freedom we had in the pre-war days in the 20s and 30s, all that has been eroded away by the EU.‘We want to become more of a democratic country again.

'Lieutenant Francis Goode, 92, said: ‘I don’t want my grandchildren and their children to be subservient to a different country, we fought for freedom for Britain.’"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...untry-end.html
    No offence to anyone who fought for our country in any battle but back in the 1920 and 30s we didn't even have half the stuff we do now. The world has changed even since we first joined the EU, you cannot succeed by isolating yourself. Unless you do it the way Russia do and I for one am not a fan of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kieran1996)
    No offence to anyone who fought for our country in any battle but back in the 1920 and 30s we didn't even have half the stuff we do now. The world has changed even since we first joined the EU, you cannot succeed by isolating yourself. Unless you do it the way Russia do and I for one am not a fan of that.
    You're doing well for an old geezer. Even learned to use the internet and post on TSR. Well done sir, I take my hat off to ya.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohgeez)
    You're doing well for an old geezer. Even learned to use the internet and post on TSR. Well done sir, I take my hat off to ya.
    I really could have phrased my answer better :cool:

ReputationRep:
    If the EU referendum has shown us anything, it's that my generation - 18 to 24 year-old - are the most hateful, intolerant and divisive people in the entire country.

I didn't vote in the referendum since I believed the pros and cons from both sides of the argument were fairly equal, and therefore I was unable to make an affirmed decision. Nevertheless, given that Britain chose to leave the EU by over one million votes, I assumed that liberals - those who support democracy and fairness - would accept the result and work to ensure our future outside of the European Union. Instead, the left have called the elderly "selfish", the poor "uneducated" and the rest who voted to leave "racist and xenophobic". Given that it's the left who proclaim to have declared war against the "isms", I find it quite hypocritical given the abundance of ageism that has been pertinent over the past week. You should also know that the Remain camp lost the referendum because of pretentious, self-righteous, left-wing, idealists like yourself who have truly alienated the working class vote, as well as many afore liberals like me.

In terms of the economy, the UK has not yet entered a period of imminent economic recession. In fact, although our growth estimates have shrunk to around 0.1%, not a single accredited economic institution has said that they expect Britain to fall into economic decline over the short-term. Once more, FTSE 100 and 250 have both had excellent weeks after Brexit which has restored business-confidence in the city of London. You should be reminded that it is against the will of the entire international community for Britain - the world's fifth largest economy - to go into an economic recession because the impact of such would have notable consequences on international markets, especially those which reside in the EU like Germany. If we put the hysteria aside, Britain has already had the assurances from foreign markets like Canada and Australia that a trade-agreement with the UK is "top-priority", as will be the case between Britain and the EU as soon as Article 50 is triggered.

I'm not going to argue that the economy is going to flourish in the hereafter, but to suggest the UK economy is "wrecked" is the epitome of knee-jerk drivel. For your own sake, stop being a pretentious and self-entitled madam over the internet and try and respect the democratic will of your fellow citizens - especially the ones who fought for your freedom and those who've spent their lives working and paying taxes. I know millennials think everything is about them nowadays, but as an 18 year-old myself, stop embarrassing us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    No one can deny its the old, uneducated and poor that have screwed things up young, educated and well off.

Those poor, uneducated people who produce little and gets ignored because they have little impact on world gets the chance to stick it to those that have a chance to make something of their lives.

They want to pull them down to their level so they get noticed, their 15 minutes of fame, like a contestant on Big Brother or X factor before sliding back into anonymity.

So its not surprising its the poor and old who bang on about sovereignty, taking back control and keeping out foreigners, all issues with a lack of control.

The poor have been told what to do all their lives by employers, bureaucrats and never listened to. They get a chance to take control and they use it to do the most damage to those they think have a better chance in life, chances they never had.

Its jealousy.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Piss off to Buckingham or America then you rich tosser
    If you rich ass holes actually gave up a little of daddy's money, and helped people out instead of taking taking taking, then us living in poverty wouldn't have called for change.
    It's not about jealousy. It's about being able to live and having a voice.
    We haven't done any damage to ourselves, our lives are still the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Since when have the old been jealous of the young lol

What are they jealous of, the student debt or the prospects in the housing market
    Yes, according to OP, people who were able to buy their houses at young ages with normal jobs are bitterly jealous of people who don't have a prayer of emulating that, even with middle-class jobs.

Also, "uneducated" tradesmen in their twenties such as electricians, plumbers etc are jealous of people like teachers, media workers and marketing people despite out-earning them.

The sentiment displayed by OP is one of the biggest reasons Remain lost it. Utterly clueless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohgeez)

"Accept our unquestioning superiority you snivelling little peasant"
    The Remain social media presence in a nut shell. And they actually wonder why people went the other way.........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Yes, according to OP, people who were able to buy their houses at young ages with normal jobs are bitterly jealous of people who don't have a prayer of emulating that, even with middle-class jobs.

Also, "uneducated" tradesmen in their twenties such as electricians, plumbers etc are jealous of people like teachers, media workers and marketing people despite out-earning them.

The sentiment displayed by OP is one of the biggest reasons Remain lost it. Utterly clueless.
    Truly elite people are either too wealthy to care or have a specific stake in one outcome making their opinions suspect. Those people who are getting really mad about the leave vote is this new class of snobbish millennials who for some strange reason think their undergraduate degree gives them some authority over those apparently stupid people who learned skilled trades who are still earning comparable money.

The people who have been screwed the most by globalism in terms of house prices, the rental market and employment prospects are the ones who have become so vicious in their attempts to defend the EU.

I voted remain by the way, but I'll take the result on the chin and defend the outcome out of respect for democracy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.