Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think the next leader of the Conservative party should call a General Election Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you think the next leader of the Conservative party should call a General Election
    Yes.
    64.41%
    No.
    25.37%
    I don't know.
    10.21%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimir)
    But it's "OK" when they do something outside their manifestos you believe to be good - such as gay "marriage"?

That wasn't in the last Parliament's manifesto at the election - technically therefore no approval from the people to do that. There should have been an election for that as well by such logic.
    That's a minor deviation, and not only that, but it didn't negatively affect anyone - granting civil liberties is hardly a bad thing. Changing tax rates, altering public services, immigration reforms, budget cuts etc. are completely different as they can negatively impact huge sectors of the population who wouldn't have voted for it. So legalising gay marriage is ok, but their attempt to cut tax credits, despite promising not to, isn't. I'm certain that the next PM will have their own agenda, and they need electoral approval for that agenda if it's anything major, and something other than granting civil liberties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    I do not think the Conservatives would lose an early election to Corbyn.
    Neither do I, but politics is pretty unpredictable now, and they don't need to put at risk the majority which they can perfectly legitimately hold on to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Neither do I, but politics is pretty unpredictable now, and they don't need to put at risk the majority which they can perfectly legitimately hold on to.
    I think May would win it tbh. I don't personally think the electorate are going to trust a minority Corbyn-led administration (for a minority government is what it would surely be) propped up by a resurgent SNP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    Err a conservative government that is stable, people electng a Tory government, and I'm pretty sure the referendum was in the manifesto, so people knew what they were voting for. it's about the only time in my life I wanted a Tory government, just to get that referendum. You are a biased remainer, I bet and want an election and then a remain government. you are being irresponsible, the government and country needs stability and to secure Brexit, there is a general election in lony four years time where people have a fresh choice.They elected Tories, on a pledge of a referendum, so why should we do something unconstitutional now? i'm sick of hearing silly arguments from remain that make a farce of our country, including petitions and ovethrowing referendums. Stop wanting this country to fail to prove a point, why don't we just pull together as a country...
    A conservative government who's PM just resigned and are about to settle into a 12 week long leadership contest, to expect stability to continue in the next few months, is ridiculous.

A referendum was in the manifesto, what has happened since wasn't. There was no indication of what a Brexit would mean in the Tory referendum (I dont think there should have been). The actuality of a vote to leave represents a massive change in the socio-political atmosphere and I think people should be given the chance to decide how they wish to be governed under this new paradigm as opposed to hoping that the people they voted for before that shift still agree with them (considering the government campaigned for In, that isn't likely)

Think about this. Brexit has all ready meant the Tory PM resigning, that has been accompanied by the admission by the Chancellor that his core economic policy, to operate with a surplus by 2020, iss now in absolute tatters. That is a massive change in and of itself considering that many voted for the 'economic competence' of a Tory government.

Consider as well other ploicy areas. New departments will need to be set up in Whitehall, primarily to deal with trade. Other departments ill have to massively re-focus their efforts as ties with the EU are cut. Agriculture, Fishing, Environmental, Monetary, Fiscal, Employment and more policy areas will need significant alteration to deal with the new paradigm.

Should people not be allowed to vote on this newly defined policy areas? Should we sit about and do nothing till a new mandate is achieved in 2020? Should members of the Conservative Party be the only ones able to vote for a new governance in these areas?

But you have displayed a massive issue I have with the Leave campaign(ers). The referendum was celebrated as a victory for democracy, so why now are so many people seemingly so scared of democracy? Why was that democracy valid, but the democracy of a new election not valid? Why is the inherent democratic defecit of the British political system not now under question as well? Why should Westminster be the stopping point for democracy?

The key question is, why now, are you so scared of democracy?

ReputationRep:
    No because when we voted last year we voted for a Conservative government until 2020.

ReputationRep:
    Unbelievable how idiotic so many users are. There is absolutely no reason for an election this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Unbelievable how idiotic so many users are. There is absolutely no reason for an election this year.
    you are absolutely right UNLESS it becomes untenable to delay signing clause 50 that long.

Gove is already on record as saying Clause 50 will not be signed this year.... But the longer it goes on the longer uncertainly will enter the economic system and no one will invest in the UK..

If it takes an election before Clause 50 can be inacted then, for the good of the nation, it might have to come to that.

You have to remember in the 2016 Scottish election in which many people have just voted Conservative there was no mention , not a word, on the EU. So in effect these new Scottish Torys will be disenfranchised if anything happens before an election.

This is also roughly the same for UK wide Torys. There is nothing in the Conservative manifesto that says the Conservatives will take the UK out of the EU. For such a big step I think the law would require it to be a manifesto pledge.

Thus, as much as I do not want it to happen, I think we will need an early election - hence the great urgency in getting rid of Corbyn - this would not be happening unless it was almost a certainty that we will have an election by the end of year.

I'm sorry but I think its about 90% certain.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    I don't think it could be done since Parliament is on a fixed term.
    There are plenty of ways of doing it. First is repealing the FTPA and enacting legislation to bring back the old system, the second is 437 MPs voting for an early election, the third is for a motion of no confidence in the government to be passed and a motion of confidence not being passed within two weeks, and the government can call it in itself.

Regardless, sure, the government would probably like to get a larger majority, and see Labour be decimated, but there are bigger fish to fry right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    I think the next Conservative Party leader should go for a General Election in October. Gordon Brown's failure to go to the country in 2007 compromised his authority and i believe he could have won an early election, gaining a mandate, seeing off David Cameron and giving Labour another 5 years in government.
    Of the three unelected postwar PMs (Douglas-Home, Callaghan and Brown) I believe all three would have won snap elections. Alec Douglas-Home would've won a snap election in 1963, James Callaghan would've won a snap election in 1976 and Gordon Brown would've won a snap election in 2007, in my view.
    Macmillan and Major did not call elections either. Indeed the only one who did was Eden.

I don't think either Home or Callaghan would have won.

Wilson made the White Heat of Technology speech on 19th September 1963. Denning's Profumo Report was published on 26 September 1963. Home became PM on 18th October 1963.

Wilson had barely scrapped to victory in the two 1974 elections. Between 1976 and 1977 Labour lost considerable amounts of support as Margaret Thatcher got into her stride and the economic situation deteriorated.

ReputationRep:
    I do wonder if the British public would take kindly to the Tories "kicking a man while he's down" if an election is called whilst the Labour Party is in crisis.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and we should switch to PR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    No because when we voted last year we voted for a Conservative government until 2020.
    No. You voted for David Cameron to be leader of the Conservatives over a 5 year period. He has resigned and the circumstances have changed. Please do not tell us that the leader doesn't matter because none of you would have voted Conservatives if someone like Jeremy Hunt was leader.

The moment Cameron decided to resign, an automatic general election should have been called.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by welshiee)
    No. You voted for David Cameron to be leader of the Conservatives over a 5 year period. He has resigned and the circumstances have changed. Please do not tell us that the leader doesn't matter because none of you would have voted Conservatives if someone like Jeremy Hunt was leader.

The moment Cameron decided to resign, an automatic general election should have been called.
    Except you don't vote for the PM, you vote for the party

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Except you don't vote for the PM, you vote for the party

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True, but many people only voted for the party due to Cameron being the leader. Like I said, very few would have voted for the Tories with Jeremy Hunt as leader. If the leader doesn't matter we set a very dangerous precedent whereby parties can then just put up a nice populist PM that the country loves and adores, they then resign and someone else who the general public hates takes over.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    True, but many people only voted for the party due to Cameron being the leader. Like I said, very few would have voted for the Tories with Jeremy Hunt as leader. If the leader doesn't matter we set a very dangerous precedent whereby parties can then just put up a nice populist PM that the country loves and adores, they then resign and someone else who the general public hates takes over.
    And then they lose the next election because of it...

Surely then whenever a party leader changes there should be an election, but people who vote with the leader being the most important thing shouldn't really be voting

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    If the new PM takes a different course from the pledges made in the 2015 manifesto then yes, a general election should be called. We've already seen Osborne forced into changing course from his economic policy, god only knows what else will follow.

I'd expect us to increase our majority by 40-60 seats if a GE was called. The Conservatives are like PSG in the French league at the moment, there's nobody who can challenge them.

What purpose would that serve though? We need credible opposition to hold the Government to account, and right now the only party who comes remotely close to doing that is the SNP.

(Original post by Crb822)
    No the Conservative party won the last general election fair and square so it's only right that they finish their term. I wouldn't even want to imagine the catastrophic effects of Brexit and a Labour government getting in shortly after.
    Labour would have absolutely no chance of winning a GE this year. If anything they'd lose more seats rather than gain them. Corbyn is unelectable despite what all the Momentum members & 17 year olds who admire his principles say.

No. You voted for David Cameron to be leader of the Conservatives over a 5 year period. He has resigned and the circumstances have changed. Please do not tell us that the leader doesn't matter because none of you would have voted Conservatives if someone like Jeremy Hunt was leader

No, I voted for a Conservative MP to represent my constituency.

We don't have a Presidential system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    From pdf:

Section 2 of the Act provides for early general elections when either of the following conditions is met: • if a motion for an early general election is agreed either by at least two-thirds of the whole House (including vacant seats), i.e. 434 Members out of 650, or without division; or • if a motion of no confidence is passed and no alternative government is confirmed by the Commons within 14 days by means of a confidence motion. There were detailed discussions about the constitutional implications of these triggers during the passage of the Bill. Some commentators and Members of both Houses questioned whether both options were necessary, and argued that the legislation would allow for constructive votes of no confidence (where an incumbent government triggers an early election through tabling a motion of no confidence in itself
    Would Bercow rule a constructive vote of no confidence to be in order?

Moreover the way the legislation is drafted the four Sinn Feiners have confidence in every UK government!

Bercow and the three deputy speakers, who by custom do not vote, also have confidence in the government.

In practice therefore one is trying to get 434 of 642 voting MPs which is 67.6%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    And then they lose the next election because of it...
    This is an assumption, not a fact. Given the numerous mistakes previous administrations have made and then have still gone on to be voted back in, I'd say this is not a guarantee. You're underestimating the idiocy of the electorate.

Surely then whenever a party leader changes there should be an election,
    If that party is in power, yes.

but people who vote with the leader being the most important thing shouldn't really be voting
    Not true at all. I for one think Cameron looks fairly decent on the world stage and a good representative of our country, even as someone that completely disagrees with his political beliefs. However, I think Boris Johnson looks like a clown and someone who will embarrass us greatly, so these things matter a lot, especially when they are the people going into key discussions and negotiations on the world stage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    No, I voted for a Conservative MP to represent my constituency.

We don't have a Presidential system.
    You might have, not everyone did, and to suggest people do not vote based on the party leader is dumbfounded as best. If the party leader is not important (they are of course) then why do we have them?

ReputationRep:
    You're underestimating the idiocy of the electorate.

Difficult after last week

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.