Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The fact that something would normally be included in a Finance Bill does not preclude it from being legislated for elsewhere.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    The fact that something would normally be included in a Finance Bill does not preclude it from being legislated for elsewhere.
    Not at all but it is being incorrectly legislated for.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Not at all but it is being incorrectly legislated for.
    Is there any legislation that for some reason cannot be overruled that states it MUST be in finance bill alone and set for a single year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Is there any legislation that for some reason cannot be overruled that states it MUST be in finance bill alone and set for a single year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I didn't say it had to be in the finance bill.

I can't remember the name of the Act. If you google corporation tax you'll find it. And if you seek to repeal it in some way to let this government attempt to weild more power than it has the legitimacy to weild then I will, of course, vote against automatically and urge everyone else to.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I didn't say it had to be in the finance bill.

I can't remember the name of the Act. If you google corporation tax you'll find it. And if you seek to repeal it in some way to let this government attempt to weild more power than it has the legitimacy to weild then I will, of course, vote against automatically and urge everyone else to.
    I somehow doubt anybody wants a finance bill hundreds of pages long (419 for this year's)and so don't want all the hoops jumping through and as such are satisfied with rates being maintained according to Canon except where explicitly stated otherwise, and in those instances merely having it stated once.

Oh, and all I can readily find in a search on my phone is a 2010 Act which from the buts I read didn't explicitly state what you suggest

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I somehow doubt anybody wants a finance bill hundreds of pages long (419 for this year's)and so don't want all the hoops jumping through and as such are satisfied with rates being maintained according to Canon except where explicitly stated otherwise, and in those instances merely having it stated once.

Oh, and all I can readily find in a search on my phone is a 2010 Act which from the buts I read didn't explicitly state what you suggest

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Who asked for a finance bill hundreds of pages long? Your exaggeration and straw-man combo is transparent and pathetic.

I'm devastated by that.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Who asked for a finance bill hundreds of pages long? Your exaggeration and straw-man combo is transparent and pathetic.

I'm devastated by that.
    Well the alternative would be dysfunctional government finances

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Well the alternative would be dysfunctional government finances

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your government's misunderstanding of government finances is what's dysfunctional. You who've cried havoc over lazy bills and proper budgets should now humbly send this to a Second Reading with the error corrected as soon as the Speaker will allow.

ReputationRep:
    Yay!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Your government's misunderstanding of government finances is what's dysfunctional. You who've cried havoc over lazy bills and proper budgets should now humbly send this to a Second Reading with the error corrected as soon as the Speaker will allow.
    So you're saying that you do want a super long finance bill that will cover every penny of spending and every penny of tax under the sun and conform to rules that you are unable to even prove?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So you're saying that you do want a super long finance bill that will cover every penny of spending and every penny of tax under the sun and conform to rules that you are unable to even prove?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sounds great! More opportunity for me to show off my law degree - I know how much you love that!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nothing in my post which you responded to suggested that. Just another transparent attempt to misrepresent what I'm saying because you are wrong.

Corporation Tax Act 2010: "Corporation tax is charged at the rate set by Parliament for the financial year"
    Finance Act 2015 (representing the format all finance bills take when setting the corporation tax rate):
    (1) Corporation tax is charged for the financial year 2016.
    (2) For that year the main rate of corporation tax is 20%.

Now, I'm sure you'll lobby the prime minister to ensure the bill is corrected for second reading.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This bill is in cessation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This bill has been withdrawn.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Division! Clear the lobbies!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.