The Student Room Group

Friend doesn't want to rent with me..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Another
From personal experience, most tenants I've come across are full of crap, housing benefits or not. But when they're paying for accommodation out of their hard earned wages, the chances that they're going to respect the environment they live in is a tiny bit higher.

I don't know where the hypocrisy bit came in, but okay. If I were a landlord I would have no problem renting to any kind of tenant, as long as I got to meet with them first. Unfortunately estate agents hardly give you the privilege, so other landlords don't want to take the risk. I'm sure you're a lovely person will treat the property with respect, but it's not the Landlord's fault that they keep running into bad experiences.

Then you shouldn't be in the renting business if that's what you think.
You're a hypocrite because you advise me to move out but people like you won't rent to people like so how is that going to happen?
As for your last sentence, it's not the tenants fault either that landlords have had bad experiences before.
Original post by sherlockfan
Then you shouldn't be in the renting business if that's what you think.
You're a hypocrite because you advise me to move out but people like you won't rent to people like so how is that going to happen?
As for your last sentence, it's not the tenants fault either that landlords have had bad experiences before.

Oh dear. Business is business, money is money. After repairs, insurance and maintenance a BTL landlord will receive on average less money from HA tenant than otherwise. Some don't accept HB simply because they don't want to deal with the council's bullying tactics, and nothing to do with the tenant. Nothing personal, but getting a property repossessed is pretty painful and no Landlord wants to go through that.

Sorry I had assumed that since you wanted to move out, you actually had the funds to be able to do so. You can't demand that someone should house you and put a roof over your head...
Original post by Another
Oh dear. Business is business, money is money. After repairs, insurance and maintenance a BTL landlord will receive on average less money from HA tenant than otherwise. Some don't accept HB simply because they don't want to deal with the council's bullying tactics, and nothing to do with the tenant. Nothing personal, but getting a property repossessed is pretty painful and no Landlord wants to go through that.

Sorry I had assumed that since you wanted to move out, you actually had the funds to be able to do so. You can't demand that someone should house you and put a roof over your head...

I don't demand it. If I can pay the rent every month, because of HA or otherwise, why should the landlord care where the money comes from? It quite blatantly discriminates against people on a low income and the disabled. If the money comes directly to me there's no reason at all why the landlord has to get involved with the council. Its just an excuse for prejudice. Its not just business when you're talking about putting roofs on people's heads. You need to have some sense of responsibility.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply