Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Brexit voters have created a new Tuition Fee Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    Ageism - I know a relative who took an open university maths degree in his 90s.
    No mate, just leave voters don't want to go to some **** uni in ****in europe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    I. Am. Not. Talking. About. Economics. How. Hard. Is. This. To. Understand. Good. Night. Sweet. Dreams.
    And yes, you are talking about economic predictions/forecasts. Just because they're made by someone in the field of Biology it doesn't mean the subject area is no longer economics.

Answer me, have you read the reports?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by da_nolo)
    If someone is studying abroad - would they not work abroad - obtain and use Euro instead of pound?
    True, but normally parents pay a significant percentage of all costs.
    I doubt working in a Polish cafe will cover the costs of doing a medical degree in Poland or Holland.

In fact its probably worse then you think.

With the falling pound, there will be huge numbers of foreign students applying for places in UK universities making it harder to find a place here and more expensive over there.

Brexit is destroying the future of the next generation of students. Those who are currently 16 or 17 will be 18 when the country will most likely be in a recession beyond anything we have seen before.

Look at the person who says "it will be OK" - he has a picture of someone smoking a cigarette - Is that the type of person you can trust? Would you want him near your children with that cigarette?

You want to become a doctor via studying in Poland in English speaking university..

http://studymed.umed.pl/6-year-md-pr...FdUy0wod4FoHcg

Oh dear, not costs 10% more thanks to brexit.
    Why would anyone want to, when we have the best universities in the world?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    Why would anyone want to, when we have the best universities in the world?
    Whats it got to do with you where people study? Why do you want to deny people choice?

(Original post by Maker)
    Whats it got to do with you where people study? Why do you want to deny people choice?
    I never said I was denying anyone choice. I'm acknowledging that you don't generally get people going to Poland for a degree, and elaborating that that is because UK universities are better: why would anyone want to?

People can if they want to, of course. But it's their stupid lookout if they want to do a degree abroad, isn't it - as much as anything else because it's going to cost a helluva lot more before they've even started; that's going to be the case whatever the interest rate is.
    • Very Important Poster

It now costs about 10% more to study in the EU and this is rising daily thanks to the falling pound.

We now have rising EU tuition fees, accommodation prices, food prices all rising for UK students wishing to study in the EU and its getting worse.

This tuition fee comes to you via your Brexit voter...
    Just NO.

It is to do with exchange rates.

We have exchange rate variations whether we are in or out of the EU.

If you wnat to follow the lopsided argument, then you forget that it is now cheaper for EU students to come and study in the UK, which brings useful foreign currency and benefits the UK far more.

Go away and come back with some credible arguments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Exactly - the UK medical schools cannot meet the demand. Why shouldn't people be allowed to study medicine in Poland?

ReputationRep:
    You want to become a doctor via studying in Poland in English speaking university..

http://studymed.umed.pl/6-year-md-pr...FdUy0wod4FoHcg

Oh dear, not costs 10% more thanks to brexit.
    In all honesty if you have to go to Eastern Europe to get into medical school I'm not sure I want you operating on me anyway
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    The way you said it made you sound like a smug arrogant ****, […] do you speak a European language out of interest?
    ???????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????

England is still in Europe, you know. English is a European language*. You… do know that… right? :erm::erm::erm:

Also, way to massively misinterpret what Plagioclase said, which was pointing out a fact, using statistics and basic logic. :toofunny:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    * if you would like to be a pedant, I am specifically grouping the variants of English native to the British Isles. Not America or Australia, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Ageism - I know a relative who took an open university maths degree in his 90s.
    No, it's nothing to do with age, it's just that chavs with missing front teeth don't often go to study in the EU.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fenice)
    In all honesty if you have to go to Eastern Europe to get into medical school I'm not sure I want you operating on me anyway
    What a vile thing to say. I'm not sure you'd care if you were in a serious condition and needing urgent medical care. Or, is an English doctor educated abroad not good enough for you?

Seriously? Don't be ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    What a vile thing to say. I'm not sure you'd care if you were in a serious condition and needing urgent medical care. Or, is an English doctor educated abroad not good enough for you?

Seriously? Don't be ridiculous.
    Sounds like someone's had a humour bypass

Probably the mishap of one of those doctors trained in Eastern Europe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    It's not ageism to state that (1) the overwhelming majority of undergraduates are in the 18-24 age bracket and (2) people voting Leave were probably not interested in studying in Europe.
    Many leavers were indeed interested in studying in Europe...etc. Many leavers were Arabs, teachers, married to foreigners, foreigners themselves, some with children who love to go to the mainland.
    It is not so much leave or remain that has caused the CURRENT problems re pound, currency, etc, but that neither side had prepared for anything after the vote, and the PM was negligent by not demanding an exit plan from levers, and did not put together one himself. No thought had been given to anything, and all of the matters arising make, should have been discussed in the lead up to the vote. Even the poor Welsh pepole did not know they had eu subsidies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Compared with free or very cheap in many EU countries?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Our ranking is higher.

ReputationRep:
    The article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty has not even been activated yet. The real new tuition fees, visas and so on will indeed be the case. Plus, stepping aside from the EU debate, the Conservatives are very likely to either increase tuition fees for domestic students and/or cut on SFE on top of that.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    Our ranking is higher.
    ??

We are talking about cost.

And not everyone goes to Oxbridge/Imperial/LSE/etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ??

We are talking about cost.

And not everyone goes to Oxbridge/Imperial/LSE/etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Majority of top 30 nationally univerities are in top 1% worldwide, unlike EU universities.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    Majority of top 30 nationally univerities are in top 1% worldwide, unlike EU universities.
    Again. We are talking about cost.

But if you want to go down the UK is great for universities route, how many academics supported Leave vs Remain?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Again. We are talking about cost.

But if you want to go down the UK is great for universities route, how many academics supported Leave vs Remain?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    From what I understand UK students , while studying in Europe are meant to get the same deal (price ) as other EU residents.

Its a mute point whether UK students will even be able to study in Europe in future without having to pay the full cost (which could potentially be huge ....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.