Turn on thread page Beta

Becoming a pilot....... ( Raf and maybe flying a boeing later on ) watch

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, but i doubt it. You might be able to pretend for a while but at some point you will slip up and they will se right through you

ReputationRep:
    i'll just give them the truth as to why I want to join the RAF; to become a pilot and to help the country etc

I want to do it because I want to do it

ReputationRep:
    You quite obviously don't want to help the country because you say you are going to leave the RAF after a few years which will only put you at the end of your training.

ReputationRep:
    oh well, i'll tell a white lie

ReputationRep:
    and then fly these jet planes for fun, go on to become a boeing pilot, earn lots of money and have a sexy gurlfriend

ReputationRep:
    Just a little extract from some information they send out to all applicants about officer qualities.

"Yours reasons for seeking officer status must be convincing and sincere"

You show neither of these.

ReputationRep:
    LOL what happened to integrity of an officer? you can't lie!!!

ReputationRep:
    You may be able to lie and blag your way through OASC but you will have a lot of trouble trying to blag your way through 6 months of IOT

ReputationRep:
    You might be saying this just to wind people up on forums for all i know, but i just don't get how you're going to be able to lie to a highly qualified interview board and get away with it, i mean what are you 18? these guys have been doing their job for almost as long as you've been alive!

ReputationRep:
    Honestly guys

I've been reading through these last few posts and I really wouldn't worry about him.

Flyer, you have no clue, I repeat, no clue about the RAF, or by the sounds of it, getting your CPL/IR/ATPL and possibly an airline job either!!!

I think I can quite confidently say (having gone through the process) that you won't get through selection with the outlook you have. And don't try and fob it off with you being 18, theres people at 16 years of age, who put themselves forward for selection and know in detail what they want and how they're going to achieve it.

ReputationRep:
    I went through selection at 17 and I did months of research into the RAF and current affairs to prepare myself and there were still areas where i struggled.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be applying after i've done a 3 year bsc course at uni! So I have time!

ReputationRep:
    whoopy do, I still don't think you'll get in with that attitude.

ReputationRep:
    what attitude? i simply said i wanted to become a pilot and you are all having a go at me for it

what do u want to become a pilot for?

ReputationRep:
    Well Flyer, you should haul yourself down to the University Air Squadron, they might be able to open your eyes abit as to what it'll take.

Though you seriously need to get this absurd idea of going to the airlines after a few years out of your head!!

ReputationRep:
    It was just an idea, and i've always wanted to be a pilot, what is the OASC?

ReputationRep:
    That's fine but I think you need to have a deep think about your reasons for joining the RAF because if you just want to fly you are going to hate it because you live within a disciplined enviroment and certain things are expected of you, so if you haven't thought about these then i suggest you do before you think about applying.

OASC is the Officer and Aircrew Selection Centre. It's where they do all the selection and testing for Aircrew and officers. Does exactly what it says on the tin really.

ReputationRep:
    i'll probably apply after uni and see what happens, doing research before hand etc

But i mean come on, flying one of those bad boys must be so fun.

ReputationRep:
    OASC is the officer and aircrew selection centre.

Thats just one of the really little things you'll need to know.

If I were you, I'd spend a good few hours/days/weeks looking at www.raf.mod.uk, start getting to grips with current affairs, just so you can keep up to date, know about NATO, UN, OSCE, again not in detail, just enough so you can say why we're in these organisations etc.

It does a good breakdown of aircraft and weapons, and where they're stationed.

It also is rather vague at times about the current situation with the Nimrod upgrade, whether tranche 3 of Typhoon is getting delivered etc.... get the point!

You need to start doing some serious background work, get yourself on a station visit, find out the ins and outs of OASC, what initial officer training will be like, how long for, where it'll be etc.

Now you could be saying to yourself that you'll revise these things nearer the time, trust me, it makes life and of course, that interview, so much easier if you start now.

But above all, you should realise that you're making an application to join a fighting force, not a flying club. The RAF is in the business of projecting air power in a fighting scenario, and at present you've only indicated it as an attraction to free flying lessons!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icklecathy)
    When you are applying to the RAF, even as a Pilot, you are an Officer first and foremost, and a Pilot, or whatever else, second.
    Nice quote!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.