Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Finance & Consulting - Sixth Form FAQ:

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    nice! Mn is right too in the sense that entering into an option is generally cheap exposure to the underlying so you're utilising this notion of leverage, and these derivative gives more leeway into creative though process.

nice to see junior students taking an early interest in finance, although i hope you don't want to enter into trading.
    Are you like a teacher to young Trapz and Mn? Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    Are you like a teacher to young Trapz and Mn? Lol
    doesn't hurt to know a thing or two

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    nice! Mn is right too in the sense that entering into an option is generally cheap exposure to the underlying so you're utilising this notion of leverage, and these derivative gives more leeway into creative though process.

nice to see junior students taking an early interest in finance, although i hope you don't want to enter into trading.
    looooooool I swear that is Trapz's aim

ReputationRep:
    Good thread
    I like it. Noice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MnWhCntBMvd)
    This doesn't really get to the heart of why you would want to use an option. Why not just go long or short on MFST?

It's all about leverage while minimising downside
    Loooooools do you think you're a big man or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoping4thebest)
    Loooooools do you think you're a big man or something.
    Your mum thought I was big enough

ReputationRep:
    Prince, do you know how competitive the BP graduate scheme is, where you trade commodities? And other benefits of joining such a scheme would be great to hear, e.g exit opps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glebp)
    Prince, do you know how competitive the BP graduate scheme is, where you trade commodities? And other benefits of joining such a scheme would be great to hear, e.g exit opps
    Completely different business to anything high finance-y.

The scheme puts you in a variety of roles in the back office (scheduling, sometimes on-site) to middle office (trade support) with the aim of instilling in you the way in which physical commods works. It's a very relationships driven role more akin to deal making (i.e. flying to far flung oil/commodities sites to negotiate deals) than regular trading. Exit opps is to actually become a physical trader - most people don't, they get placed in one of the non-trading rotations - and if you're good enough maybe a commods hedge fund or a bank.

Programme is quite competitive - very few spots but a large volume of applicants thinking it's just another trading job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Will econ and stats at a target keep absolutely all the front office options open? Or will I be pigeonholed into IBD. Because i wanna do research but I'm not sure whether you need an econ degree for that

ReputationRep:
    Will econ and stats at a target keep absolutely all the front office options open? Or will I be pigeonholed into IBD. Because i wanna do research but I'm not sure whether you need an econ degree for that
    Lol, how are you going to be pigeonholed to IBD?

It's fine man, literally what I have written is the case - outside of quantitative finance positions your degree subject is pretty much moot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Lol, how are you going to be pigeonholed to IBD?

It's fine man, literally what I have written is the case - outside of quantitative finance positions your degree subject is pretty much moot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Coolio, thanks again. How do you respond so quickly?

ReputationRep:
    Coolio, thanks again. How do you respond so quickly?
    TSR app is on my home screen

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    TSR app is on my home screen

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah I see

ReputationRep:
    THE TARGETS

(These universities together represent anywhere from 70-80% of front office UK grad intakes)

University of Oxford
    University of Cambridge
    London School of Economics and Political Science
    University College London
    Imperial College London
    University of Warwick

THE SEMI-TARGETS

(These universities represent the next 15-30% of most intakes)

Durham University
    University of Nottingham
    University of Bristol
    University of Bath
    Cass Business School

(Arguably, there’s a slight gap at this point based on grad/summer class data)

University of Edinburgh
    University of Manchester
    University of St Andrews
    King’s College London
    University of Exeter

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Loughborough University (an emerging semi-target)
    University of York (also somewhat of a semi-target)
    University of Leeds (very strong alumni network in the city, but not quite semi-target status)
    University of Southampton (similar to Leeds)

Apart from these, if grades don’t permit getting into a university listed above try a Russell Group or a good non-Russell Group university with lower entry requirements
    Top targets:Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL and Imperial (UCL and Warwick are completely dominating the IB job market right now)

Semi-targets (banks visit, still a stream of talent into IB every year) Durham, Bristol, Notts, Edinburgh, St Andrews

(Gap)

KCL, Cass, Manchester, Birmingham, Bath
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    You used to have Edinburgh and St Andrews in the second tier with Cass and Bath in the third tier. Why have they switched?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScotBank16)
    You used to have Edinburgh and St Andrews in the second tier with Cass and Bath in the third tier. Why have they switched?
    Collected more info.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In regards to what subject to study at uni for some places it DOES matter whether or not you pick a finance related degree, for example: http://www.santanderukgraduates.com/graduates.php

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terry Tibbs)
    In regards to what subject to study at uni for some places it DOES matter whether or not you pick a finance related degree, for example: http://www.santanderukgraduates.com/graduates.php
    Eh, Santander is like 1 exception. And I'm sure they don't even do traditional IB/S&T/Research.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Eh, Santander is like 1 exception.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There were plenty more from other places but can't remember which ones exactly.

ReputationRep:
    The important thing is, most if not all investment banks don't care. So it really is a non-issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And btw, I found exceptions to the requirements on linkedin in like 5 seconds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: February 22, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.