Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Someone doesn't like democracy

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because democracy is perfect and has no flaws.

So, you'd be fine if Americans were given a referendum back in the day over black people rights...? That would be a truly marvellous display of democracy indeed.

Grow up.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent effort lad, achieved a lot and leaving was solely down to him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    That is the most idiotic, uneducated and ridiculous statement I've ever read.

The majority is not always right, for it is the majority that can oppress.
    Do you want to live in a dictatorship where you get to decide everything? The people have chosen what they want Britain to do- the government should follow their wishes.

And I'm not uneducated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I'm sure somebody not in the right party or legislature to do much should be on the front line dealing with the problem, you know, apart from being in the wrong party and legislature. You can also resign a position without "giving in" or do you think that the only people that are going to do anything are the party leaders?

Maybe you will see the light eventually.
    Oh so what you are saying is that he was allowed to have such a big voice and influence during the referendum, but now that it comes to the hard work he shouldn't have a voice?

He didn't have the ability to invoke a referendum did he? But he still fought for it.

ReputationRep:
    It is utterly bizarre to claim that a large proportion of leavers are those who are annoyed because they are unemployed and blame it on immigrants. 5.4% of the population is unemployed by recent figures. If every single one of those people had this mindset, and bothered to vote in line with it, it would account for around 15% of leavers. edit: well actually I haven't thought about this statistic enough, it is not that 5.4% of the entire population are unemployed (Where unemployed means not working + old enough to work + not retired). So I went elsewhere and find there were 924,000 unemployed men and 766,000 unemployed women. This is out of people available to work, so perhaps you have a case against the disabled and the tiny percentage of benefit claimers who do it fraudulently lol. It would make up less than 10% of the leave vote if all these people voted leave.

ReputationRep:

So, you'd be fine if Americans were given a referendum back in the day over black people rights...? That would be a truly marvellous display of democracy indeed.

Grow up.
    Sure, if that is what the people of the time wanted.

You're ruling for the people of the time not as a history revisionist

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Do you want to live in a dictatorship where you get to decide everything? The people have chosen what they want Britain to do- the government should follow their wishes.

And I'm not uneducated.
    People are making such silly statements it's getting ridiculous now. Saying that the majority is not always right does not equal condoning dictatorship.

You act as if democracy is perfect. It is not. As has been said, it is the least worst form of government.

You don't really show otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    Good **** off.

Hopefully that's the end of UKIP.

ReputationRep:
    Sure, if that is what the people of the time wanted.

You're ruling for the people of the time not as a history revisionist

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you freaking joking me? It would be right to suppress black people because native Americans voted so?

May I suggest that you visit psychiatrist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    Not all 52% of people voted leave because they felt "alienated" by the left. Everyone in this country has the opportunity to receive free primary and secondary education, and some people consciously choose not to take advantage of that and end up claiming benefits, getting left behind in society and becoming hardest hit when austerity ensues. And their kids do the same thing. And then they get angry when a hard-working immigrant comes and takes up a job they weren't even qualified for in the first place. Hard work is alien to many of these people, and they don't deserve to be coddled even further by the left. God knows it wouldn't change their political stance on the EU anyway, since they're so incapable of taking in and processing facts like they failed to do while at school.

There's no way to suppress the 52%, but the 48% needed to be more. When we voted to leave, hard work and opportunity did not prevail. Fear, misinformation and xenophobia prevailed.
    It's been less than two weeks and yet you're already commenting on the overall outcome of Britain vote to leave the EU. I just recognised your username and you're the same person who said that white supremacy and an economic apocalypse would prevail should Britain leave the EU, and you also called anyone considering to vote leave "stupid" and "xenophobic". As someone who is clearly intolerant of people with a different political outlook, it's no wonder that you're unwilling to reconcile with the opposing side because the left hate people who don't conform to their skewed political agenda. As I said to you before, as a progressive you have to tolerate the intolerance, because that's a hallmark of liberalism and decency. Before you run off to Germany, be warned that AfD is the fastest growing political force in the country, and I should also note that Eurosceptic parties in the EU have never been more popular - with the PVV leading in the Dutch opinion polls and the FN polling strongly against the UMP in France. Given that you also said that the UK wouldn't vote to leave the EU, saying "most Britons aren't that stupid", you need to burst your bubble and start facing the grim reality of modern-day Europe. Instead of driving a wedge between different communities, why not work together instead of reigniting unnecessary confrontation?

ReputationRep:
    People are making such silly statements it's getting ridiculous now. Saying that the majority is not always right does not equal condoning dictatorship.

You act as if democracy is perfect. It is not. As has been said, it is the least worst form of government.

You don't really show otherwise.
    So what do you want us to? Stay in the EU even though the majority of people do not want this? You shouldn't think that you know more than the people who voted leave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    so farewell then Nigel Farage
    you showed Johnny Foreigner
    a real taste of Dunkirk spirit
    while he paid your wages
    what what what*
    :rofl:

:clap2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Surely part of that task is to also pick up the pieces from their actions? Especially on Johnson's behalf. Do you actually think the job is done now?

But after one failed attempt at negotiations Boris gave in. Do you still gain confidence in that?

I think the fact that two of the main campaigners have given in already so soon adds force to the second referendum, or even for the government to simply not invoke article 50.

The whole situation is such a joke, and decades later people will be scratching their heads wondering why we caused such a mess for ourselves. Two of the country's biggest political jokes headed a campaign based on propaganda and lies, and when they won the campaign, within a few weeks both resigned. It's a shambles.
    You remainers think that because a day ends with a y we should have another referendum.

ReputationRep:
    Are you freaking joking me? It would be right to suppress black people because native Americans voted so?

May I suggest that you visit psychiatrist.
    No you may not, I'm qualified to make those assessments not you.

As for am I joking, no I am not we live in a democratic society if we vote a certain way then that is the right way. the only people who decide what is right and wrong in a democracy is the people

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not all 52% of people voted leave because they felt "alienated" by the left. Everyone in this country has the opportunity to receive free primary and secondary education, and some people consciously choose not to take advantage of that and end up claiming benefits, getting left behind in society and becoming hardest hit when austerity ensues. And their kids do the same thing. And then they get angry when a hard-working immigrant comes and takes up a job they weren't even qualified for in the first place. Hard work is alien to many of these people, and they don't deserve to be coddled even further by the left. God knows it wouldn't change their political stance on the EU anyway, since they're so incapable of taking in and processing facts like they failed to do while at school.

There's no way to suppress the 52%, but the 48% needed to be more. When we voted to leave, hard work and opportunity did not prevail. Fear, misinformation and xenophobia prevailed.
    :teehee:

this is very true. these people are very capable of taking in and processing crisps and burgers but not facts. **

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    Good **** off.

Hopefully that's the end of UKIP.
    Lmao stfu

ReputationRep:

Grow up.
    That is exactly what I was just about to post.

I find it so idiotic when people criticise us for not liking the outcome a democratic vote.

As if somehow not agreeing with the outcome of democracy equates to not agreeing with the principles of democracy in general. Such flawed thinking.

Like you say, if people voted for racial segregation in America, people wouldn't be allowed to convey their anger because of "democracy"?

Lying back and just accepting decisions is actually the opposite to what democracy stands for.

Although perhaps he would find it easy to accept such outcomes in the racial example you provided because of his underlying ideologies, more than his "devotion" to democracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    There were any number of white people on the streets in TV interviews after the referendum coming forwards to blame it all on the immigrants in areas with particularly low inward migration, eg, rural Tory constituencies.

I don't think any major vote in modern times has mobilised the grotty racism that lurks beneath the surface to the extent that this one did.

Cameron has also been a big player in creating the hysteria, he repeatedly used phrases like "swarming" and talked about 'good immigrants' and 'bad immigrants', etc, etc.

Basically the entire Tory political class (and I include Farage in that) threw off their post-Enoch Powell shame and wholeheartedly engaged in the worst gutter and yob politics.
    Yes because journalists do not pick who they show to help push their bias

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    So what do you want us to? Stay in the EU even though the majority of people do not want this? You shouldn't think that you know more than the people who voted leave
    You need to check your argumentative skills - this is a straw man.

You said it is necessarily right because the majority voted for it - and I said no. Majority does not equal right every time.

No you may not, I'm qualified to make those assessments not you.

As for am I joking, no I am not we live in a democratic society if we vote a certain way then that is the right way. the only people who decide what is right and wrong in a democracy is the people
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Qualified? Stupidity now qualifies you? Lol.

You are a sheep among the herd. Nothing more nothing less. It is truly disgusting that a 40yr old or whatever employs the thinking of a 15 year old like Trapz. I guess I now get why you never qualified.

You may wish to look into the concept of the rule of law. For someone as patriotic as you, it's hilarious that you don't know basic fundamentals.

ReputationRep:
    Or he achieved what he wanted to and now is retiring

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Yes job well done, national racists stirred up, economic depression imminent.

"Absolutely bloody marvellous!" << said in a pseudo-posh slightly drunk Farage windbag voice.
    Absolutely. Were 10 percent poorer already. Thanks Nigel! <3

Racists don't deserve our time of day. Stop spouting the same apologist drawl
    I agree with you. Off topic, but why have you got the German flag as your profile picture if you are on our side? Two world wars, enslavement of Greece, pushing austerity on everyone?

(Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    The "rigged referendum"?
    Rigged by the vested interests who fed the people criminal lies. Is there a single pledge that they haven't gone back on??

Boris and Farage pushed britain out of the EU, now they're going into hiding and waiting for other people to sort their mess out. Despicable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.